What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

hazzbeen

Bench
So it has come to this , they have admitted that Mary can't coach , he needs someone to help him .... That'll do me , instead of sacking him when they should have now they are trying everything to help him coach .... It also looks like to me our CEO really didn't want the job but was convinced to do so , but he is only the face someone else is calling the shots .....

BLM01

First Grade
If Sheens comes on board as the GM of football, I belive this wouldnt be to oversee Mc85mins but to ensure Flannagan stays true to the path set by the NRL.
This, to me, sounds like more of a structure in place for an early appeal to the new head of the NRL in Vlandys. This card will be played when Mc85mins is sacked or sees his relationship with Sheens is untenable.

Nice dream if true.
Aha see...nail..hammer..head
When you get normal people around you they have the nous to have a Plan B or even a C. It is not rocket science

BLM01

First Grade
So it has come to this , they have admitted that Mary can't coach , he needs someone to help him .... That'll do me , instead of sacking him when they should have now they are trying everything to help him coach .... It also looks like to me our CEO really didn't want the job but was convinced to do so , but he is only the face someone else is calling the shots .....
No it is more we are not going to give you 1.2-1.6 million whatever it is to sit on a beach in the Bahamas for 2 years...oops not ATM....better change that to Wollongong

to_ddeath

Coach
Why can't they just put the bald fraud on gardening leave like Snoz Barrett FFS??
Just stagger & lengthen the pay out to minimize damage - over 3-4 years or something.
Apparently makes enough money from out of that "successful local business" of his...
Install Sheens as the front for Flanno, then Flanno takes over when the NRL allows him to.
Obviously this is far too complicated for the simpletons, & upsets the Young & Younger combo who probably want Deano installed as the next boys club bungler to keep the tradition of ineptness for however long that lasts...

Spare me....

No it is more we are not going to give you 1.2-1.6 million whatever it is to sit on a beach in the Bahamas for 2 years...oops not ATM....better change that to Wollongong
If in fact McGregor's extension had no performance clauses which would allow St. George to fire him with out penalty or at least a reduced payout, then the people responsible for tabling that contract should already be fired.

Walpole

Juniors
I don't know why anyone thinks Flanagan coming on board is a good thing.

If his input makes the Dragons a better team and they start to win games, why would they then sack McGregor as coach, who will be able to claim the wins as his own?

And if there's no marked improvement then Flanagan is clearly to blame.

This is a ploy by the club to be seen to be doing something about the state of the team (much like the Gould "review"), aimed at appeasing fans while changing absolutely nothing. It virtually assure McGregor's ongoing tenure.

I know we're all desperate for a well run club and top four team but the club is playing with us here.

getsmarty

Immortal
I don't know why anyone thinks Flanagan coming on board is a good thing.

If his input makes the Dragons a better team and they start to win games, why would they then sack McGregor as coach, who will be able to claim the wins as his own?

And if there's no marked improvement then Flanagan is clearly to blame.

This is a ploy by the club to be seen to be doing something about the state of the team (much like the Gould "review"), aimed at appeasing fans while changing absolutely nothing. It virtually assure McGregor's ongoing tenure.

I know we're all desperate for a well run club and top four team but the club is playing with us here.

I think Flanno is a smart operator....He will either eventually be the main coach or be offered a position elsewhere....Hopefully he sees enough potential in our squad to want to take over....

But yes, the club are totally clueless....McGregor should have been gone years ago, let alone even appointed in the first place.

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
If in fact McGregor's extension had no performance clauses which would allow St. George to fire him with out penalty or at least a reduced payout, then the people responsible for tabling that contract should already be fired.
Their may have we dont know. But he is only about to start his new contract next year, so they wont fire him when he has not had a chance to perform.
Although the liklihood is he may not to start with despite of the brains trust around him...so they maybe able to fire him after starting the year poor!!!...lets hope

TruSaint

Referee
The report was leaked to the NRL yesterday. No official comment yet from the Club, which has me thinking that

a.) The leak was intentional to stem the bleeding, and
b.) The report suggests that Flanno will be there next year and doesn't specify for the year after. I wonder if the Club is trying to secure a 2 year deal.

The risk of a 1 year deal is massive. Failure would / could lead to the sacking of Mary and a short term novice take over for the remainder of 19 and maybe 20. No experienced coach would take such a short term job, with Flanno in the ranks.

Time will tell.

possm

Coach
Why can't they just put the bald fraud on gardening leave like Snoz Barrett FFS??
Just stagger & lengthen the pay out to minimize damage - over 3-4 years or something.
Apparently makes enough money from out of that "successful local business" of his...
Install Sheens as the front for Flanno, then Flanno takes over when the NRL allows him to.
Obviously this is far too complicated for the simpletons, & upsets the Young & Younger combo who probably want Deano installed as the next boys club bungler to keep the tradition of ineptness for however long that lasts...

Spare me....
It's not about Mary, it's all about Young. Mary will get his salary whether he is head coach or not. I'm sure that father Craig has set things up so that when Mary is given the golden handshake boot, Dean Young will assume the position of head coach with the luxury of having Flanagan there to lean on.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Probably right Possm. Young knows Mary is doomed for failure and if they replace him with a decent coach or at least one that is not banned from coaching in the NRL, then his son will need to wait longer.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
We should seriously consider calling Mary "Houdini". How any coach can escape a sacking after this season is a miracle and this will never be seen again.

I honestly believe that if Saints come last next season and finishes with 3 wins, Mary will still be coaching in 2021 and get an extension in 2021 as soon as he wins a game that year.

possm

Coach
We should seriously consider calling Mary "Houdini". How any coach can escape a sacking after this season is a miracle and this will never be seen again.

I honestly believe that if Saints come last next season and finishes with 3 wins, Mary will still be coaching in 2021 and get an extension in 2021 as soon as he wins a game that year.
Backroom deals were done and honoured.

hazzbeen

Bench
I think Flanno is a smart operator....He will either eventually be the main coach or be offered a position elsewhere....Hopefully he sees enough potential in our squad to want to take over....

But yes, the club are totally clueless....McGregor should have been gone years ago, let alone even appointed in the first place.
Agree here mate , Flanno is too smart for Mary to be taking the credit ... If there is a vast improvement next year you would have to be a dope to think it was our Super Coach......

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

If Flanno was the first support that Mcnudenut had received, it would have been bad enough. But the fact is that several "assistant coaches" dressed up in vague and misleading titles such as Mick Crawley's coaching advisor have tried and failed to save Mary from himself- all have exited- convenient scapegoats of Mary's incompetence.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
So Hazz,

What your saying is that we are in an induced coma and will lie there until the fake doctor has his license revoked from the medical board, albeit, the Saints management.

The prognosis sounds terminal.

I think l'll self induce a gin drip purely for medical purposes.

Last edited: