What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

getsmarty

Immortal
Red V’s spending spree: Dragons set for $4m roster overhaul to launch premiership assault
NRL Premiership
james_hooper.jpg

c7bfd3bba589921c11a06b93428cfccf

The Dragons are set for a major roster overhaulSource: AAP
The cashed-up St George Illawarra Dragons have stockpiled a $4 million war chest for 2021 as the Red V look to sharpen their roster for a premiership assault.

The Dragons have 12 players in their top squad off-contract at the end of next season headed by representative stars Tyson Frizell, Jack de Belin and James Graham.

Young guns Luciano Leilua, Jackson Ford and Zac Lomax also form a part of the Red V’s roster jigsaw, with other off-contract players including Euan Aitken, Jacob Host, Tim Lafai, Josh Kerr, Jonus Pearson and Mikaele Ravalawa.

As evidenced by the Parramatta Eels’ resurgence from a wooden spoon last year to the second week of September this season, having almost half of your top 30 roster off-contract can often work in favour of clubs.

St George Illawarra have not been active in the open market since landing the signatures of halfback Ben Hunt and English international Graham at the end of 2017.

But with so many big-name players off-contract, the club will be in a position to make some smart roster management decisions.

A host of big-name players will all be able to sign with rival clubs as of November 1 for the 2021 season.

The Dragons are monitoring the situation of Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson, who is expected to make a call to sign with Parramatta later this week.

No question the Dragons need a big summer and a fast start to next season after finishing 15th this year.

Coach Paul McGregor finished last season under increasing pressure but will welcome some new assistants in Shane Flanagan and Jamie Shepherd.

Club favourite Dean Young will still form a key part of McGregor’s coaching assistants but Ben Hornby and Matt Head have moved on.

Flanagan will not be allowed to start his role until December 18 with the NRL insisting he complete a 12-month suspension.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/9e0fb7af754cb22033c3320f87b7c80c

getsmarty

Immortal
The good sign is that it appears Flanagan has some power to determine the assistant coaching roles rather than delve into the old boys pigs trough! Certainly a positive and this duo team worked wonders at the Sharks!

I reckon McGregor is a dead man walking....club cannot be so stupid...He will fade into the background...can't come soon enough.

getsmarty

Immortal
Hope so GS and it may appear that James Shepherd is in the box seat to become interim coach if and when they punt the Peanut before Flanno serves his 2 years in the navigator chair.

Without going into too much detail...I did state 1/2 way through the year that certain players were allegedly not happy...This has now been reported in the press over the last few months....

Coach allegedly had support of Board, but not all the Board....the pendulum looks like it may be swinging the other way....Club allegedly trying to put out spot fires in regards to players wanting out...

Even the Club has to acknowledge the overwhelming backlash from fans re McGregor ( Keep it up ).

I hope it's not too late....lets see what transpires over the next few weeks...that will tell us how much say Flanno has....The Shepherd signing is positive....starting to look like McGregor no longer holds all the cards....

P.S Don't shoot the messenger.................

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Without going into too much detail...I did state 1/2 way through the year that certain players were allegedly not happy...This has now been reported in the press over the last few months....

Coach allegedly had support of Board, but not all the Board....the pendulum looks like it may be swinging the other way....Club allegedly trying to put out spot fires in regards to players wanting out...

Even the Club has to acknowledge the overwhelming backlash from fans re McGregor ( Keep it up ).

I hope it's not too late....lets see what transpires over the next few weeks...that will tell us how much say Flanno has....The Shepherd signing is positive....starting to look like McGregor no longer holds all the cards....

Absolutely. The Shepgerd appointment may have been the deciding.factor in Flannagan signing on. We now gave a ready intrim coach, who will be the Flannagan puppet.
McGregors days are numbered, the payout was all determed by who could fill in as intrim, at a cheap rate, and could follow what Flanno wanted. We now have that answer.

I also believe a couple of players were very unhappy about McGregor staying on, but as I alluded to in the Lomax review, there was something there he was trying to cover. Other dominos will start to fall into place soon enough as well.
It will be intetesting to see if Flannagan takes the reigns of the CC squad. Then it would all make perfect sense.

BLM01

First Grade
Without going into too much detail...I did state 1/2 way through the year that certain players were allegedly over the situation...This has now been reported in the press over the last few months....

We cant shoot...Control is in a secret hide out
Absolutely. The Shepgerd appointment may have been the deciding.factor in Flannagan signing on. We now gave a ready intrim coach, who will be the Flannagan puppet.
McGregors days are numbered, the payout was all determed by who could fill in as intrim, at a cheap rate, and could follow what Flanno wanted. We now have that answer.

I also believe a couple of players were very unhappy about McGregor staying on, but as I alluded to in the Lomax review, there was something there he was trying to cover. Other dominos will start to fall into place soon enough as well.
It will be intetesting to see if Flannagan takes the reigns of the CC squad. Then it would all make perfect sense.
As i said earlier Lomax was only hanging onto how different training and pre-season will be without saying why, nothing to do with departing.
Tigers can eye him off all they like. I used to like Elle McPherson when she was doing the TAB Cola ads...doesnt mean i was going to get her.
The truth is starting to surface and will be revealed.
Stay tuned

Dragonslayer

First Grade
We cant shoot...Control is in a secret hide out

As i said earlier Lomax was only hanging onto how different training and pre-season will be without saying why, nothing to do with departing.
Tigers can eye him off all they like. I used to like Elle McPherson when she was doing the TAB Cola ads...doesnt mean i was going to get her.
The truth is starting to surface and will be revealed.
Stay tuned

Exactly what i was alluding to, nothing to do with hin leaving at all.

possm

Coach

Mary needs to go now so that the new interim coach can have a full off-season in charge of the team.

I'd be very pleased if Brown replaced Millward. Brown has shown himself to be good at recruitment and junior pathway management.

So Board, let's go. Get is done now and give our club a chance in 2020.

BLM01

First Grade
Mary needs to go now so that the new interim coach can have a full off-season in charge of the team.

I'd be very pleased if Brown replaced Millward. Brown has shown himself to be good at recruitment and junior pathway management.

So Board, let's go. Get is done now and give our club a chance in 2020.
You never know your luck...you keep wishing...one day one will come true!

boardlumps62

Juniors
Never heard of James Shepherd know a little of Brownie cause he comes from around here and I will try to get some inside.
Tonight's Halloween tomorrow is another day and we might have an entirely different side and coach.
I wait til it all unfolds.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Price was absolutely shocking, Worst coach in history. Mary a touch under him as the 2nd worst coach.
And Bennett did endorse Price as head coach. It was all over the press. Where were you Possm?
Price managed to get a start at Cronulla and then in the ESL after we booted him. Jetski, after he's finally crowbarred out of the job, will be lucky to get his park gig back at the Devils

Last edited: