What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno assistant coach,,...?

SAP58

Juniors
okay story reads "there are a raft of clauses in his contract restricting what he can and cant do , including NOT being part of recruitment decisions, NOT acting as a head coach and not being part of the Dragons supplements program,, story also reads Dean Young as an assisstant and Matt head is expected to be retained,,, and isaac luke looks like being signed ..
the one year contract may be in case flannos 2 year ban is lifted ..
So mary looks like he still has the steering wheel of the bus SO how much impact will flanno have ????
We may get better defence with flanno but will there be any change of players ( lafai aitken ) or game plan .. Its one thing having defence but if there is no outside pressure on mary to change the game plan or roster then it will be another long year and be so much harder for someone to pick up the pieces
No doubt these are all of the conditions that the NRL have forced us to put into his contract otherwise it will not be registered. Cant believe we are still considering Isaac Luke ! I believe Flanno WILL have an influence even with these conditions included, one of the biggest flaws in both Aitken & Lafai’s games is their defence so if they continue to defend like they did last year they will be dropped unlike last year. I am also sure Shepherd will have similar thoughts on how we should play and he hasn’t got the same clauses. However yes we will still have McIdiot influence at least for the first 6 games !

Crush

Coach
No doubt these are all of the conditions that the NRL have forced us to put into his contract otherwise it will not be registered. Cant believe we are still considering Isaac Luke ! I believe Flanno WILL have an influence even with these conditions included, one of the biggest flaws in both Aitken & Lafai’s games is their defence so if they continue to defend like they did last year they will be dropped unlike last year. I am also sure Shepherd will have similar thoughts on how we should play and he hasn’t got the same clauses. However yes we will still have McIdiot influence at least for the first 6 games !
I reckon we are screwed if we pick Aitken and Lafai.
Only chance is that we uncover some new talent to play 1-5.
Then we'll need Hunt to play like a leader and not fall to pieces every time the pressure is on and we'll need Norman to focus on footy not on his Instagram account and clothing brands.
Oh, and a new coach.

Como Connection

First Grade
I reckon we are screwed if we pick Aitken and Lafai.
Only chance is that we uncover some new talent to play 1-5.
Then we'll need Hunt to play like a leader and not fall to pieces every time the pressure is on and we'll need Norman to focus on footy not on his Instagram account and clothing brands.
Oh, and a new coach.
We need the 6 and 7 to receive the ball before the 4 power plays.
Don't blame them, blame the coah.
CC

Coffs dragon

Bench
Or you have been guaranteed the top job as soon as it's available. At least let's hope so
You would have to hope so Dragonsamy, that the club has some type of plan to rid the chief problem, whilst saving face & saving a dollar!
If not, then I believe the combination of our Peanut coach & 5/8 Norman can take us all the way.........to 16th!
Flanno maybe a good coach, but his patience & being undermined will be tested to the full working under McSurvivor.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
We need the 6 and 7 to receive the ball before the 4 power plays.
Don't blame them, blame the coah.
CC
I blame the coach for the stupid power play game but I blame Ben Hunt for dropping the ball under pressure and kicking the ball out on the full in crunch moments.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons unveil 2020 football department
Dragons Den
r0_400_3916_2610_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tough year: Paul McGregor and the Dragons struggled in 2019. Picture: Adam McLean.
The door remains ajar for Shane Flanagan to join the St George Illawarra coaching staff after the club announced their off-field staff for the 2020 season.

As expected, Paul McGregor will remain in charge of the NRL side next year, with James Shepherd announced as an assistant coach. The Dragons will hire a second assistant coach, with Flanagan tipped to be the man to join the club.

Such a move would mark the end of the former Cronulla coach's exile from the NRL, with Flanagan suspended by the NRL last December for remaining involved in the operations of the Sharks while he was on a one-year suspension in 2014 for his role in the club's peptides regime.

Flanagan was given permission to return to coaching by Todd Greenberg in September, however he remains banned from any head coach position for the next two years.

Shepherd was the under 20s coach at the Sharks in 2014 and stepped into the head coaching role midway through the season. Most recently he was an assistant coach at the Newcastle Knights.

Shephered has been signed to replace Ben Hornby, with Dean Young set to continue his role as an assistant coach.

McGregor praised the appointment of Shepherd and said he's looking forward to working with the experienced assistant.

"Our performances throughout the 2019 season were not demonstrative of this proud club, given also the successful season we produced 12 months prior," McGregor said.

"There are plenty of positives that have come from the review. We accept we didn't play to our potential as a team last season. The review has also provided everyone involved a chance to reflect and learn from the hardships of 2019.

"The amount of change implemented across the football department hasn't occurred for a very long time and will provide a positive new approach to the 2020 season.

"I look forward to overseeing a collective rejuvenation of our on-field structures; this will be indicative of the football department changes as well as further involvement from the playing group."

The appointment of Shepherd comes amid a mass overhaul of the Dragons football department following the completion of a review into the club's disappointing season.

Read more: Why the battle over Dapto Dogs' future has only just begun

St George Illawarra finished 15th in a year in which nothing went right for the club. From the indefinite suspension of Jack de Belin to the long-term injuries to star players including departing captain Gareth Widdop, the Dragons struggled all season.

A review was conducted by Phil Gould, with the former Panthers boss finding McGregor required an experienced figure to act as an adviser. Gould also determined the club lacks a firm culture.

Nathan Pickworth remains head of athletic performance, with Alex Clarke replaced by Adrian Jimenez as head of strength and conditioning. Jimenez was previously at the Parramatta Eels and spent 11 years with the Melbourne Storm.

Steve Dean will lead the physiotherapy team, while Gerard Murphy will guide the club's culture and leaders. Matt Griggs has been signed as a mind and performance coach.

Dragons CEO Brian Johnston acknowledged the 2019 season was not good enough and said he's confident the new coaching staff will help lead to a rebound on the field next year.

"Everyone at the Dragons were terribly dissatisfied with the club's 2019 season campaign which resulted in this wide-ranging internal and external review of the club's football department," Johnston said.

"The Dragons have made key structural changes to its coaching, performance and medical staff following the determination of a lack of experience within the wider group. This includes several new staff appointments to the football department.

"It was noted throughout the review that there needed to be a greater focus on club culture and leadership. In acknowledging this, the club have taken steps in this space in order to bring further accountability and discipline to the playing group.

"The Dragons are also in the process of renovating its facilities at WIN Stadium. This is for the benefit of not only the players but the staff situated in Wollongong as well.

"All of our stakeholders, including our partners, members and supporters can rest assured that the Dragons have not taken this process lightly and look forward to greater success in our upcoming campaign and beyond."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...gons-unveil-2020-football-department/?cs=3713

Dragonslayer

First Grade
No mention of Head as CC coach or even Talau as JF coach.
Just 1 more assistant to sign. So, as if stands:
Shepherd replaces Hornby as an assistant.
Flanno replaces Head (assumed) as an assistant.
Young stays as an assistant.

I cant see where Matt Head stays on.

I'm still hopefull that Flanno (again waiting on official) gets to coach the CC boys.

Dragonsamy

Bench
No mention of Head as CC coach or even Talau as JF coach.
Just 1 more assistant to sign. So, as if stands:
Shepherd replaces Hornby as an assistant.
Flanno replaces Head (assumed) as an assistant.
Young stays as an assistant.

I cant see where Matt Head stays on.

I'm still hopefull that Flanno (again waiting on official) gets to coach the CC boys.

Dragonslayer
Both gone as far as I can see.
Maybe George would know

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons prepared for tough pre-season after disappointing year
Dragons Den
r0_163_4584_2750_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Back in action: Tariq Sims and the Dragons returned to training this week. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

After the worst season in the joint-venture's history it's no surprise St George Illawarra players are preparing for a brutal pre-season.

On Tuesday they received a taste of what to expect, with the squad put through the first gruelling fitness session of the summer.

Veteran Tariq Sims was lucky enough to miss a portion of the session, the NSW star still on the comeback trail from double groin surgery, but he said the players recognise a tough pre-season is exactly what they need to ensure 2020 is a more successful year.

"There's going to be absolutely no shit this pre-season," Sims said. "There's going to be no short cuts. We're going to be pushing each other to be the best version of what the club wants to see us.

"We need to repay our fans and instill the trust back in them and make sure we're coming out doing what we need to do to get the job done."

Sims carried a pair of groin strains for the entirety of the 2019 season, with a heavy injury toll preventing the 29-year-old from taking the time off needed to recover.

Eventually the damage was too great and Sims underwent double groin surgery in August. Now, 13 weeks after the operation, the powerful forward is enjoying running pain free for the first time in months.

"I did it in the Rabbitohs Charity Shield match, both of them. It was a tough year, we managed the situation as best as we could to make sure that I was out on the field. It was one of those years, I needed a couple of weeks break but unfortunately we were dealing with some injuries so I just couldn't get the time off.

"I went for a trot yesterday and I was saying to the boys that were running, it feels so good to run without being in pain or having to warm up for 25 minutes just to run. Now I'm over that injury, I just need to make sure I'm focusing on rehabbing and getting back to where I need to be."

Sims was greeted by a number of new faces when he arrived at WIN Stadium on Monday, with assistant coach James Shepherd and new strength and conditioning coach Adrian Jimenez among a revamped coaching staff.

Not present was head coach Paul McGregor, who is currently in the United States on a professional development tour and Shane Flanagan, the currently banned coach who will likely sign on as an assistant coach in the coming weeks.

While he has never worked with Flanagan previously, Sims said it would be exciting to train under the premiership-winning coach.

"I just heard about it then, apparently Flanno's coming. A bloke of his calibre and coaching experience, he'll lead to bettering our leadership group as well.

"I don't know him from a bar of soap, what I've seen is he's very strict but a bloke that demands respect because he's earned it.

"If it is true, that's great for the club. I think it's going to be great for us as a playing group and also when Mary gets back from his overseas trip, most of the squad will be back together."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-pre-season-after-disappointing-year/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Zac Lomax excited for Shane Flanagan's arrival at the Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_0_2830_1887_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Eager: Zac Lomax has welcomed Shane Flanagan. Picture: Adam McLean.

Promising St George Illawarra back Zac Lomax is confident the arrival of Shane Flanagan will have a positive effect on the club.

The Dragons officially announced on Wednesday the former Sharks coach will join the club as an assistant for Paul McGregor.

With the side hoping to rebound from a disappointing season, Lomax said the signing will only help the Dragons achieve more success on the field.

"A lot of confidence is going to be brought to the club from him coming here," Lomax said.

"I can tell we're definitely heading in the right direction. Everyone's turned up to the pre-season with the right attitude, everyone wants to get better.

"We know we need to improve, but everyone's really confident we're going to be able to do that, no one's taking a backwards step.

"There's been a lot of changes at the club but everyone's bought into it. There's really exciting times ahead."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ane-flanagans-arrival-at-the-dragons/?cs=3713

getsmarty

Immortal
Flanno, ‘Shep’ and less sweeping plays: Inside the Dragons’ ‘real big shake-up’
Dragons
john_dean.jpg

5fb4104f2b98624c35dc7f05a75a1fa1

The Dragons have revamped their attack and defence ahead of 2020. Photo credits: News Corp; DragonsSource: Supplied
On the back of eight major backroom staff changes, St George Illawarra is preparing to unveil a revamped attack and defence in 2020.

There was no sugar coating the Dragons’ performances last season where they finished 15th with eight wins — the worst in the joint venture’s history.

It led to coach Paul McGregor bringing in Phil Gould for an exhaustive review of the club’s football department and subsequently, the likes of Cronulla premiership-winning coach Shane Flanagan and former Sharks and Newcastle assistant James Shepherd were brought in to stop the leaking of tries, while also create them.

According to numbers provided by Fox Sports Lab, the Dragons conceded 24 points per game in 2019, with only Gold Coast conceding more (27.1). Their 575 points conceded last season was their third most in any regular season and most since 2003 when they conceded 593. They were also ranked second last in metres conceded and linebreaks conceded.

Against top-eight teams, the Red V really struggled, averaging just 13.7 points, with only Canterbury (12.6) averaging less.

Of the six times they scored over 20 points in 2019, only one of them came against a top eight side (25 v Broncos in Round 3), the others against the Bulldogs and Titans (both twice) and North Queensland.

“There are a lot of factors into what happened last year,” Dragons halfback Hunt told foxsports.com.au when asked where the team’s attack fell down.

“Obviously losing Jack (de Belin) and Gareth (Widdop) hurt us. It definitely didn’t help, and Corey (Norman) missed a bit too.

“I still think we had enough quality players there to attack, but we just lost our way as a whole team. It wasn’t just losing those two guys, it was everyone who was involved.

“It’s hard to put a finger on it, but like I said we just lost our way and I think it’s good we’ve got a fresh start now and we’re changing a few things and everyone’s excited for a fresh beginning.”

‘FLANNO’ AND ‘SHEP’

With Flanagan and Shepherd joining McGregor and fellow assistant Dean Young, Hunt said Dragons fans would see a change in the way the team plays.

McGregor admitted after the 2019 season the Dragons’ attack was too reliant on the performances of Widdop and de Belin, so a different approach needed to be taken.

According to Hunt and backrower Tariq Sims, the coaches have made it a focus that the players actually play to their strengths.

f5e3fcc7ce539de6ab45579560cc610d

Ben Hunt in action for the Dragons.Source: AAP
“They’ve been great and I’ve really enjoyed both of them on-board,” Hunt said of Flanagan and Shepherd.

“Flanno’s more concentrating on defence and I’ve found him really good in that regard tactically and how we want to defend and the style of defence we want to have.

“As a halfback, I’ve really enjoyed having ‘Shep’ as well. We’re changing our attack a lot compared to what it was last year and I think it suits the way myself and Corey play.

“If you look at the Dragons the past few years there’s been a lot of big sweeping plays with halves out the back and those sorts of plays.

“This year we might have a little bit of that, but there’s going to be more of myself and Corey getting the ball in our hands and directing our forwards around more rather than swinging out the back of them.”

Sims also said he’d been hugely impressed with the development of Young this pre-season.

“Deano went away with the Tongan camp and has evolved as a coach just being with the Tongan side and to see his development from last year to this year has been outstanding,” Sims told foxsports.com.au.

“It’s been nice. Different ideas. Everyone loves playing to their strengths and when you get coaches that really drive that and gas you up on the footy field, it’s really exciting times.

“You’re probably going to have to wait to Round 1 to see all the changes to be honest.

“But there’s been a real big shake-up.”

FULLBACK

Fresh off signing a long-term contract extension with the club, Zac Lomax will get first crack in the No.1 jumper in 2020.

Before the club took a break over Christmas, McGregor had already signalled his intention to play the young gun in the custodian role.

While there have been huge raps on the 20-year-old in the junior grades, the start to his NRL career has been a mixed bag of performances which could be put down to a constant changing of positions.

But he’s now able to own a position.

a68b5cd0063707519ec1d44bb556f07e

Zac Lomax of the Dragons dives for a try.Source: AAP

“He’s a fierce competitor, Zac; he wants to be involved in absolutely everything,” Hunt said.

“He tops our k’s every week at training, but he’s really hungry to learn and I think he’s got the ability to be a good fullback, but it’s just going to take a bit of time.

“He always wants to fly into everything and he’s a young kid so he’s bouncing around all over the place.

“He’s probably trying to do too much where he just needs to settle and get a hang of where he needs to be.”

ISSAC LUKE

The signing of former South Sydney and Warriors hooker Issac Luke raised eyebrows when it was announced, especially given the club’s No.9 and newly-appointed captain Cameron McInnes is an 80-minute player.

But Hunt said Luke’s experience and point of difference could serve the side well if the pair work in tandem throughout games.

“Bully’s slotted in really well,” Hunt said.

“He brings a different dimension to the dummy-half role to what Cam does. They’re different types of players but both really good in their own right.

“He’s really creative, he’s a good bloke and a joy to have around the place.”

c69e5394128c7bb936179b745cfa9015

Issac Luke has joined the Dragons on a one-year deal. Picture: Brett CostelloSource: News Corp Australia
While Hunt wasn’t sure about the conversations between McInnes, Luke and McGregor, he said McInnes had been doing most of the work during the pre-season.

“He was still out at the start of pre-season with his ankle injury so he missed and bit and Bully was in there, but the past couple of weeks it’s been mostly Cam and Bully just subs in every now and then,” Hunt said.

“At the moment I’m not too sure how it’s going to work because Cam’s an 80-minute player, but whether Mary wants to use Bully in there and put Cam into lock forward then we’ll see how it goes.

“I think (McInnes) would be fine (at lock). He’s really determined, he’ll run hard, he’s got good feet. I think he’d be a similar mould to someone like Cam Murray. Like he’s not the biggest guy, but he’s really hungry and play the ball quick.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...p/news-story/d18fc4a526f372a6e6b15fa8e8cd081b

blacksafake

First Grade
I love how Ben says they want us to play to our strengths lol.
Isn't that a given?
So it's taken until Shane & his sidekick to come on board to actually work this out.
L plate is sillier than i thought & our inept board/CEO's have let this go on for the last 6 years. FMD.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
So, its all there in black and white. Players not playing to their strengths, but only playing to our coaches strengths ie: power game and sweep plays.......thats it!

Flanno and Shep must he thinking wtf!!!!

The sooner this imposter is removed from the club, the sooner we can start to build again