What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

blacksafake

First Grade
in reality we have morphed into the Illawarra Dragons over the past 25 years.

Perhaps it’s time all stakeholders accepted this and the club:

1. played out of 1 home ground
2. Trained out of one location
3. Retired the red V and replaced it with an all red jersey with white shorts
I could live with 1 & 2 but no way in hell number 3.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have a feeling that Flanno is happy not going for RCG now. He has other options and there are some at the Sharks that could be worth going for as their salary cap needs manipulating to fit in a lot of upgrades and retentions -

SHARKS FIGHT TO KEEP 10 STARS
Cronulla prop Oregon Kaufusi has emerged as a shock NRL free agent, with the 25-year-old yet to take up an option to keep him in the Shire next season.
Kaufusi had a breakout year in 2024, playing almost every single regular season game for the Sharks, running for more metres (1,811) than any of the club’s other props.
While the former Eels preference is to remain at the club Cronulla are facing a tough battle to keep hold of several of their stars, with 10 entering free agency next month.
Among the Sharks stars off contract at the end of next year are Cameron McInnes, Daniel Atkinson, Briton Nikora, Braydon Trindall, Kade Dykes, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Teig Wilton, Tuku Hau Tapuha, Teig Wilton and Thomas Hazelton.

Royce Hunt was also due to come off contract in 2025, but recently signed with the Wests Tigers.
On top of this, NSW U19s representative Max Bradbury and Sharks favourite son Jack Williams are also off contract at the end of this year, highlighting the extent of the club’s cap headache.
The arrival of Addin Fonua-Blake next season also reduces the cap available to the club to re-sign several of these players, meaning some, including Kaufusi, may be resigned to moving away from the club to continue their NRL careers.
Kaufusi has reportedly attracted interest from other clubs, with the lack of props in the market no doubt playing into this, while Williams will add value to any NRL side.

kit66

Bench
Do you think we should’ve offered more money/a 3rd year to sweeten the deal for RCG?

What you or I think or believe or want has nothing to do with it.
Our recruitment strategy, whatever the hell that may be, isn't working and hasn't worked for years and as much as I like Flanno, he's done no better than those before him.
Nothing has changed. Nobody useful wants to come here and we're a dumping ground for dead wood from other (usually bottom 8) clubs - for players other clubs have no more use for or they can clear out to improve cap and roster space. The RCG debacle is just another example - it covers all of the above and anyone who thinks that Flanno did something different or heroic or even bloody noteworthy in this instance is kidding themselves.
I like Flanno by the way.

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
What you or I think or believe or want has nothing to do with it.
Our recruitment strategy, whatever the hell that may be, isn't working and hasn't worked for years and as much as I like Flanno, he's done no better than those before him.
Nothing has changed. Nobody useful wants to come here and we're a dumping ground for dead wood from other (usually bottom 8) clubs - for players other clubs have no more use for or they can clear out to improve cap and roster space. The RCG debacle is just another example - it covers all of the above and anyone who thinks that Flanno did something different or heroic or even bloody noteworthy in this instance is kidding themselves.
I like Flanno by the way.
I think in this specific case, if we were to offer 3 years and more money, we would be absolutely crazy. That's why I want to know your thoughts, because it would help to highlight why this particular instance is where you're taking a stance

Dribble&Yarn

Juniors
I have a feeling that Flanno is happy not going for RCG now. He has other options and there are some at the Sharks that could be worth going for as their salary cap needs manipulating to fit in a lot of upgrades and retentions -

SHARKS FIGHT TO KEEP 10 STARS
Cronulla prop Oregon Kaufusi has emerged as a shock NRL free agent, with the 25-year-old yet to take up an option to keep him in the Shire next season.
Kaufusi had a breakout year in 2024, playing almost every single regular season game for the Sharks, running for more metres (1,811) than any of the club’s other props.
While the former Eels preference is to remain at the club Cronulla are facing a tough battle to keep hold of several of their stars, with 10 entering free agency next month.
Among the Sharks stars off contract at the end of next year are Cameron McInnes, Daniel Atkinson, Briton Nikora, Braydon Trindall, Kade Dykes, Ronaldo Mulitalo, Teig Wilton, Tuku Hau Tapuha, Teig Wilton and Thomas Hazelton.

Royce Hunt was also due to come off contract in 2025, but recently signed with the Wests Tigers.
On top of this, NSW U19s representative Max Bradbury and Sharks favourite son Jack Williams are also off contract at the end of this year, highlighting the extent of the club’s cap headache.
The arrival of Addin Fonua-Blake next season also reduces the cap available to the club to re-sign several of these players, meaning some, including Kaufusi, may be resigned to moving away from the club to continue their NRL careers.
Kaufusi has reportedly attracted interest from other clubs, with the lack of props in the market no doubt playing into this, while Williams will add value to any NRL side.
I would take Williams in a heart beat, he would be our starting 13

Gareth67

First Grade
From the stench I reckon it's been dead for some time
I recall our former coach Brian Smith saying that the club had the “ smell of Newtown “ about it . This was after he rejected an approach from the Dragons a few seasons later to take up the coaching reins once again .

Of course the great Blue Bag sides of the very early years of the competition were premiers on a number of occasions then unfortunately they went into a decline , one from which they never recovered .

Well the Dragons had their golden run of premierships and then occasionally won others , our last of course being under Wayne Bennett in 2010 and since then well there has definitely been a decline where we have been wallowing around the middle of the ladder .

We now have ourselves a proven premiership winner in Shane Flanagan , but not the stock that is required to make a genuine charge into finals calculations .

If we are able to secure the services of a few more decent players and with Flanno’s cunning and guile we will certainly stop the decline that Newtown had and also the smell of decay .

Last edited:

56to66

Juniors
1995-I think Brian Smith was referring to the Superleague war, Saints had no money, no support from the ARL, it seemed like a sinking ship, many players went to other clubs, Rod Reddy went to Adelaide, but the majority of players came back at the beginning of 1996, Tallis was the only one not to play, the St George Dragons showed true spirit in 1996 losing to the ARL Sea Eagles in the GF, Great Job David Waite.
The St George Dragons should have jumped to the Superleague side, they would have been a stand alone club today, all SL teams survived, apart from the Rams and Mariners.

Last edited:

Parko1310

Juniors
Oregon Kaufusi would be a good buy. If you're him though, surely you back yourself to have another good year in a team that will improve with afb in the front row and be a better chance to win something. After another good year in a presumably better team than what the sharks are this year, his value would only go up

kit66

Bench
I think in this specific case, if we were to offer 3 years and more money, we would be absolutely crazy. That's why I want to know your thoughts, because it would help to highlight why this particular instance is where you're taking a stance

aw maaaan, why you no risten !

I've been having a bit of a whinge about our recruitment for.....let me think......fkg years and years. I couldn't give a rats about RCG. I'll give a rats when we sign someone decent, say with potential, under the age of 29 who could pull on a Storm, roosters, Penrith, SOO jersey tomorrow - but we sign them. I've gone grey since the last time that happened.

Dragon David

First Grade
1995-I think Brian Smith was referring to the Superleague war, Saints had no money, no support from the ARL, it seemed like a sinking ship, many players went to other clubs, Rod Reddy went to Adelaide, but the majority of players came back at the beginning of 1996, Tallis was the only one not to play, the St George Dragons showed true spirit in 1996 losing to the ARL Sea Eagles in the GF, Great Job David Waite.
The St George Dragons should have jumped to the Superleague side, they would have been a stand alone club today, all SL teams survived, apart from the Rams and Mariners.
I agree with you 56 to 66. We could be the Dynamic Dragons today.