What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flashback 1991, City Vs Country

PARRA_FAN

Coach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfBu_NdaIiI

Interesting game, this was played during the day, probably the last time the City/Country Origin game was played during the day.

Wondering what day of the week this was played, and you reckon it was played around Easter.

Some big names in both sides. Looking at that footage the City side wouldve been:

Alexander, Paul Smith, McGaw, ET, O'Connor, Lyons, Toovey, Salvatori, Thomas, (Elias mustve been injured), Roberts, Sironen, Geyer, Hasler

Bench: Fittler, Fenech, Mackay (maybe)

And for Country Im guessing:

Ashley Gordon, Wishart, Daley, (Centre?) (Wing?), Carter, Stuart, Lazarus, Wayne Collins, Roach, Gillespie, McGuire, Ian Russell

Bench: Gourley, Harragon.

Not sure about the score but City wouldve won, but Country came back the following year at the same ground in a classic.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Can you imagine Origin on a Sunday afternoon at Suncorp? Imagine the speed of the game then? I drool at the thought.

anjado

Juniors
Van der Voort was on the bench for city and Paul Dunn started for Country

I remember this game because Mark Geyer and Paul Sironen slaughtered country up the middle. Good to see it again and relive Paul Smith's only rep game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats right Van Der Voot was almost picked for Origin till he was ruled out and replaced by his Penrith team mate Cartwright. Not sure if Carty played in the City/Country game.

Others that mightve been mentioned, Mark Sargent and David Fairleigh (who debuted for NSW that year), not sure if they played for Country.

Wish we could go back to the days of everyone playing this game, unfortunately it wont happen and its probably an excuse to get rid of it. Typical. :roll:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
City
1. G.Alexander
2. M.O'Connor (c)
3. A.Ettingshausen
4. M.McGaw
5. P.Smith
6. C.Lyons
7. G.Toovey
8. C.Salvatori
9. J.Thomas
10. I.Roberts
11. P.Sironen
12. M.Geyer
13. D.Hasler
14. B.Fittler
15. C.Van der Voort
16. P.Clarke
Coach. T.Sheens

Country
1. A.Gordon
2. R.Wishart
3. A.Farrar
4. B.Rodwell
5. P.Martin
6. S.Carter
7. R.Stuart (c)
8. G.Lazarus
9. W.Collins
10. B.McGuire
11. M.Glanville
12. D.Gillespie
13. I.Russell
14. M.Potter
15. E.McGrady
16. S.Gourley
17. P.Dunn
Coach W.Ryan

Halftime City 16-2
Ettingshausen 2 tires, Alexander, Smith 1 try each. O'Connor 3 goals
Carter and gordon try each, Wishart 2 goals

Played on Thursday April 25 at SFS in front of 21,466 fans.

Ref was Harrigan

Source:
http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/City_vs_Country_1991/NSW_City-vs-NSW_Country.html

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thanks mate

I forget Farrar and McGrady were in there somewhere. I think Roach wouldve played for City Firsts that day.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Roach was a Country rep

Pretty sure he didn't play at all as it was near the end of his career

^Roach played in the Origin series that year, so he should of definitely played in that game if not injured/suspended.

I remember one prop carrying Stuart on his back during the game and offloading which lead to a try. I actually thought it was Roach. I also remember ET running outside the field of play to chase a kick and then heading back infield before regathering the ball and scoring a try. (can't view the video at the moment)