What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flat attack

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I know it is all the rage but I think part of our problem in attack is the way the team is so flat. There is no one running onto the ball and it just makes it so predictable for the defence.

Gronk

Staff member
Another two players Kearney believes have not been given the credit due them are his halves Daniel Mortimer and his partner Jeff Robson.
"You look at the game against Storm, and I know it was 38-0, but we actually got over the try line four times and it was through young Daniel and Robbo," he said.
"Sure, we would have liked to finish off better, but we wouldn't have got the opportunities in the first place without those two.
"Against the Bulldogs, it was the passing by our halves that got Jarryd (Hayne) into position for his two (tries) and (on Sunday) they created a few more."
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...of-blues-kearney/story-e6frg7mf-1226044695653

cumberlandcozza

Juniors
I know it is all the rage but I think part of our problem in attack is the way the team is so flat. There is no one running onto the ball and it just makes it so predictable for the defence.

There are no bodies in motion around that person running onto the ball, so the opposition know exactly who to hit. Having said that we do run some decoys when we go out wide (horo's decoys the other day was a beaut). Suppose I mean more among the normal runs, not set plays.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
There are no bodies in motion around that person running onto the ball, so the opposition know exactly who to hit. Having said that we do run some decoys when we go out wide (horo's decoys the other day was a beaut). Suppose I mean more among the normal runs, not set plays.

Yeah that is more my point but the set plays are so rehersed that they are not as effective as they can be. And I am not saying we never get bodies in motion just not enough to work the defence over.

My other annoyance is when we bend the line back or make a break we simply hit the ball up next play, we use too many settlers and allow the defence to get set. Some nice early ball to the edges after the line break could yield more tries.

strider

Post Whore
its true, we don't regularly have lots of players moving (meaningfully) without the ball .... when we do, good things happen (ie the horo decoy helping loko score) because the defense has to stop think and baulk - it only takes a little indecision to create chances

i believe its an attitude thing - if you're switched on then you do these little things all the time .... its what the good teams do well

we had players moving alot against the warriors and it paid off .... it made me think SK had waved a magic wand and turned our players around in such a short time .... but since then we've mostly reverted to our old shit ways ... i guess it takes longer to get rid of the crap

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because while we're stuck with them Kearney needs to have them playing their best.

He does that by giving them a simple gameplan they can carry out and by boosting their confidence wherever possible.

The halves have copped a lot of shit but our main problem this year has been our defence.

Kornstar

Coach
Because while we're stuck with them Kearney needs to have them playing their best.

He does that by giving them a simple gameplan they can carry out and by boosting their confidence wherever possible.

The halves have copped a lot of shit but our main problem this year has been our defence.

You are right, they are also responsible for some of that, they have missed plenty of tackles this year which have lead to tries!!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
As the starter of this thread, how did it get off topic so fast?

Why is this a bash SK, Mortimer and Robson thread now?

The flat attack is the issue and it is causing our defence the problem because the opposition is fresh in attack because they aren't getting worked over when we get the ball.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The flat attack is the issue and it is causing our defence the problem because the opposition is fresh in attack because they aren't getting worked over when we get the ball.

Working the opposition over requires ball movement, which is a higher risk option. If you hang onto the pill it puts pressure on the opposition; if you don't it puts pressure on your own team.

Since we drop the simplest passes every week we're better off passing as little as possible.

oldmancraigy

Coach
You have a flat attack when your halves suck.

There's no point running too many deep plays since Mortimer and Robson can't sell a decoy to save their lives.

Engineers Room: please stop looking for answers elsewhere! The problem is chiefly halfback - closely followed by 5/8. They're simply no good.
Since there's no other option, we're stuck with them (this year) - but there's a reason we were linked to everything that had ever played (or could play) halfback over the off-season; and why we're looking to sign anyone for next season.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hopefully we now have a structure in place so our halves don't have to tackle as much.

Minimising the amount of defensive work your halves do is achieved in three ways:

1. Hide them - stand them outside the centre and have your inside defenders work extra hard to help the halves avoid getting into one-on-one situations with the opposition centres

2. Stop the opposition from getting to them in the first place - this requires the team to move up very quickly so the opposition don't have time to shift whenever and wherever they want to (which will usually be toward your halves)

Neither of these is a perfect option, but the second one is more favourable (if more high risk). Our defence looks aggressive in patches, which is an improvement on last year when we always moved up very slooooowly.

3. Minimise the amount of ball the opposition has to play with - this is the best option and this is clearly what we're trying to do this year. We're just not doing it very well.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The only way to minimise the opposition ball (unless they make mistakes with the ball) is to get repeat sets. The way to get them is attacking kicks. Simple hit ups from our own end with this flat attack and we will struggle to get 30m per set. That is no way to get an attacking kick.

If we continue to play one out footy with a flat attack we will not get anywhere.

And PE ever think the reason we drop passes if that we are under pressure from the defence getting up quick because we are predictable and too flat. What you want is to continue doing what isn't working. I am not talking about playing hot potato but offering more in attack and taking a few calculated risks. Going wide in our own half when the defence is compressed. Getting early ball to Loko with some room and same for Reddy. Having ball runners a bit deeper and running angles at the line to hold up the defence or give the halves someone to pass to.

I think in terms of ball players our halves aren't as bad as everyone thinks but if they have no one to pass to or we keep running the same predictable plays they will be put under pressure by the defence rushing up instead of making the defence have to be careful and get someone on their heels.

Latest posts