What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flat attack

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The only way to minimise the opposition ball (unless they make mistakes with the ball) is to get repeat sets.

How about just not giving them any repeat sets?

The way to get them is attacking kicks. Simple hit ups from our own end with this flat attack and we will struggle to get 30m per set. That is no way to get an attacking kick.

If we continue to play one out footy with a flat attack we will not get anywhere.

And PE ever think the reason we drop passes if that we are under pressure from the defence getting up quick because we are predictable and too flat.

If the defence is getting up too quick then we shouldn't be throwing the pass. We should go forward before we try going sideways or popping offloads.

What you want is to continue doing what isn't working.

Looks like it's working to me mate. We've won 3 from 7. That's as good as a premiership with this bunch of reserve graders.

I am not talking about playing hot potato but offering more in attack and taking a few calculated risks. Going wide in our own half when the defence is compressed. Getting early ball to Loko with some room and same for Reddy.

Nope. Bad idea bro.

Having ball runners a bit deeper and running angles at the line to hold up the defence or give the halves someone to pass to.

This is a good idea, and it's already in the gameplan. You'll notice when we play badly it's one of the things we stop doing.

I think in terms of ball players our halves aren't as bad as everyone thinks but if they have no one to pass to or we keep running the same predictable plays they will be put under pressure by the defence rushing up instead of making the defence have to be careful and get someone on their heels.

All these words you've typed sound like footy talk, but I think you're putting the carriage before the horse.

If the halves are under pressure from the defence and making errors, then throwing more passes isn't going to improve our ball control.

Last edited:

The Engineers Room

First Grade
Let's agree to disagree on this one.

I think you see the game differently to me. I believe you have to create chances to score and you believe the chances will come if you don't make errors.

Parra Guru

Coach
I agree with strider in regards to the attitude. It needs a lift. Even when we force a mistake through a good hit etc, not many are in there slapping eachother on the back etc. I guess this sort of stuff goes hand in hand with confidence.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I agree with strider in regards to the attitude. It needs a lift. Even when we force a mistake through a good hit etc, not many are in there slapping eachother on the back etc. I guess this sort of stuff goes hand in hand with confidence.

More back slapping and high fives are needed. Fix it SK!

barney gumble

Juniors
Good sides have a good flat offensive game. Most here talk as if it's a bad thing, it's not with at least one quality ball player. The real problem is that the Eels attack, flat or deep, is terrible.

caylo

Bench
Good sides have a good flat offensive game. Most here talk as if it's a bad thing, it's not with at least one quality ball player. The real problem is that the Eels attack, flat or deep, is terrible.

which side is that?
Good sides have options, both short and deep options and sometimes a flat winger.

Now the short option is usually a backrower running against the sliding defense, the deep option is usually the centre running with the sliding defense and if your halfback or 5-8 can throw a bullet pass like T.Smith and Soward can then you can have a flat winger (Inu scored a lot of tries on the left wing this way)

Problem with flat attack (both centres and wingers) is it gives your backline no room to move and they arnt able to hit the ball with speed, it also opens the game up for intercepts. The sharks tried to persist with a flat attacking structure under kimorley and struggled for 2 years while the Tigers tried to do it to parramatta in 05 and Hayne scored two tries one of an ODwyer intercept and another off his own intercept. The flat winger is the only option that works because it spreads the defence and can give a deep centre more room to move but that requires the halves to have the ability to throw the ball 30-40 meters accuratly.

cumberlandcozza

Juniors

All I know is that when I see say Manly or the Dragons lined up deep on an opposition 30 line, they look like they will threaten (and usually do). So I'll vote for deep attack.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
which side is that?
Good sides have options, both short and deep options and sometimes a flat winger.

Now the short option is usually a backrower running against the sliding defense, the deep option is usually the centre running with the sliding defense and if your halfback or 5-8 can throw a bullet pass like T.Smith and Soward can then you can have a flat winger (Inu scored a lot of tries on the left wing this way)

Problem with flat attack (both centres and wingers) is it gives your backline no room to move and they arnt able to hit the ball with speed, it also opens the game up for intercepts. The sharks tried to persist with a flat attacking structure under kimorley and struggled for 2 years while the Tigers tried to do it to parramatta in 05 and Hayne scored two tries one of an ODwyer intercept and another off his own intercept. The flat winger is the only option that works because it spreads the defence and can give a deep centre more room to move but that requires the halves to have the ability to throw the ball 30-40 meters accuratly.

Got the years wrong, Hayne didn't play first grade until Jason Taylor became coach mid-season 2006.

caylo

Bench
Got the years wrong, Hayne didn't play first grade until Jason Taylor became coach mid-season 2006.

you are 100% correct, sorry that was the year T.Smith Debued.

Now instead of semantics maybe you can be constructive and comment on the point of the post.

eelandia

Juniors
I think the flat attack approach lost its effect a while ago, although Kimmorley was still trying it up to his retirement with little success. Nothing beats standing deep with decoys and plenty of support, but that takes energy and is easier said than done.

Flat attack is the lazy man's way and although often successful, is also prone to more handling errors and increases the possibility of getting smashed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't know if you've been reading the papers, but we've won 3 out of 7 games this year, and we sure as shit didn't win them with our defence.