What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flaws of the cap exposed

Benji Magic

Juniors
Rather than evening out the talent, it just rewards mediocrity.

Melbourne didn't build a great side by cheating the cap, they built a side through smart recruitment and development, not poaching superstars from elsewhere but developing their own.

Recruitment, not money is the same reason why the Sharks are sh*thouse this year. You could start a whole new thread on this topic.

Why should Melbourne have to let their players go to other clubs who haven't been as smart?

Slater, Smith, Inglis, Hoffman, Tolman, Blair, Manu have been developed by the Storm.
Lima, Cronk came to the clubs after only a few games with other clubs and kicked on.
Lowrie, Quinn and Finch were established first graders but hardly elite players.

I would like to see a system where clubs are rewarded for nurturing their own talent and a discount for players who have played more than a certain number of years at the one club.
Whatever happens the current system needs changing and if clubs can afford it they should be able to pay their players more ( as opposed to poaching other clubs players for big $$$$ ).

Alex28

Coach
David Gallop said today no one has come up with any better system.

Brilliant - you come up with a post bagging the cap. Rather than bagging it, why don't YOU come up with something better?

If the RLPA would allow a draft it would make the fairest system. But they wont.

Benji Magic

Juniors
I would like to see a system where clubs are rewarded for nurturing their own talent and a discount for players who have played more than a certain number of years at the one club.
Whatever happens the current system needs changing and if clubs can afford it they should be able to pay their players more ( as opposed to poaching other clubs players for big $$$$ ).[/QUOTE]

Isn't this a start?
Alex 28 are you totally happy with what we have in place at the moment? I didn't see any ideas from you either.

Maybe a central contract system where the top players are paid a retainer, maybe a marquee player system? The current system needs to be adjusted to reward clubs like Melbourne.

adamkungl

Immortal
I hope this sees the end of the salary cap as we know it.
Melbourne SHOULD have been allowed by the rules to pay blokes like Inglis and Slater whatever they f**k they want. We should be encouraging players to stay at 1 club.

Bring in cap exemptions for loyalty and junior development now!

nqcowboy87

Bench
no the draft is crap, terry hill challenged it and rightly so, no player should be told where to play, they should be able to choose

no the draft is crap, terry hill challenged it and rightly so, no player should be told where to play, they should be able to choose

Yeah, I remember that but I was just asking as I thought that the two were meant to work in tandem. Obviously with the draft being axed, the cap should've been dropped or reconfigured, no?

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
A notional value system, where player can be paid what ever a side wants but has a notional value against a "cap"
1st year first grade X
2nd year first gradeY
etc
1 SOO = + $$A
2 SOO = + $$B
3 SOO = + $$C
etc
1 INTERNATIONAL = + $$D
2 NTERNATIONAL = + $$E
etc
the loyalty clause
"if a player come from a junior team at the same club he recieved a discount of X%
if a player playes 6 consecutive years of NRL level at the same club he shall be aplicable for a Y% discount, and this shall increase for every year consecutive service after that if the player changes club at any poin the discount is lost."

This is a pretty easy system, allows the clubs to pay what ever they want, but still has a "Notional Cap" in place to help distrubute the talent.
Examples
1st year frst grader is worth $40k
2nd year is worth $60k
3rd year is worht $80k
4th year is worth $100k
5th year is worth $120k
6th year is worth $140k
7th year is worth $160k
8th year is worth $180k
9th year is worth $200k
10th year is worh $220k
All player after 10 years in NRL are valued at $220k

1 SOO is worth $20k
2 SOO is worth $30k
3 SOO is worth $40k
4 SOO is worth $50K
5 SOO is worth $60K
6 $70k
7 $80k
8 $90k
9 $100k
10 $110k
Any player with 10 + SOO apperances shall have a value of $110k.

Test players shall have the same additions as SOO players ontop.

The loyalty bonus shall work as follows
Legitimate junior promoted = -10%
6 consecutive years 1 club player = -10%
7 consecutive years 1 club player = -20%
8 consecutive years 1 club player = -30%
9 consecutive years 1 club player = -40%
10 consecutive years 1 club player = -50%
11 consecutive years 1 club player = -60%
12 consecutive years 1 club player = -70%
After 12 year as a 1 club player they will remain as a 70% discount.

SO.....
a 8 year 1 club player with 6 SOO and 4 Test shall be

$180k base + SOO $70K + TESTS $50K = $300k - 30% loyalty ($90k) = $210k
if the same player had of chaged clubs he as a value of $300k
Have a notional cap of say $4mil.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Alex28

Coach
OK in principal, however it isn't going to stop clubs paying more than what they can afford.

There has to be something also monitoring what the clubs are paying for players which will lower the risk of clubs going broke.

I can't see anything other than a salary cap doing that.

FamilyFirst

Juniors

Melbourne didn't build a great side by cheating the cap, they built a side through smart recruitment and development, not poaching superstars from elsewhere but developing their own.

Recruitment, not money is the same reason why the Sharks are sh*thouse this year. You could start a whole new thread on this topic.

Why should Melbourne have to let their players go to other clubs who haven't been as smart?

Slater, Smith, Inglis, Hoffman, Tolman, Blair, Manu have been developed by the Storm.
Lima, Cronk came to the clubs after only a few games with other clubs and kicked on.
Lowrie, Quinn and Finch were established first graders but hardly elite players.

Whatever happens the current system needs changing and if clubs can afford it they should be able to pay their players more ( as opposed to poaching other clubs players for big $$$$ ).
Melbourne hasn't nurtured any talent you turd. Hoffman and Lima -> your username pays homage to Bungi for crying out loud!

The sharks are below their cap by the way? Their recruitment is a function of the finances. You are an idiot.

FF

Beachy Eagle

Juniors
OK in principal, however it isn't going to stop clubs paying more than what they can afford.

There has to be something also monitoring what the clubs are paying for players which will lower the risk of clubs going broke.

I can't see anything other than a salary cap doing that.

We can't have it both ways as i see it, club that have the ability to pay more will inevitably cheat the cap, in my model clubs that can't manage thier cash will go broke.
Can't hold thier hands for ever.

Hindmarshfan

Juniors

spot on Benji,,

they just get penalised for producing amazing footballers .

im just gutted at this f**king NRL.

Alex28

Coach
We can't have it both ways as i see it, club that have the ability to pay more will inevitably cheat the cap, in my model clubs that can't manage thier cash will go broke.
Can't hold thier hands for ever.
And this week has proven that no matter how you try to beat the system, you will get found out and pay the price.

With teams like Cronulla and Newcastle - you kinda do have to hold their hands and make sure they survive. Unless we are happy with an NBL or A-League situation where we aren't sure which teams are going to be in the comp year-to-year.

FamilyFirst

Juniors
I hope this sees the end of the salary cap as we know it.
Melbourne SHOULD have been allowed by the rules to pay blokes like Inglis and Slater whatever they f**k they want. We should be encouraging players to stay at 1 club.

Bring in cap exemptions for loyalty and junior development now!

Loyalty and junior development? That would be the end of Easts! No juniors, and no success since 75 (2002 should be written off ala 2007 and 2009 since you weren't the best team)!

Easts took the best part of thirty years to buy a premiership and even then they could only do it off the back of a salary cap rort!

Easts should have a go at playing football as opposed to buying premierships. Easts couldn't get a root in a brothel!

FF

nqcowboy87

Bench
A notional value system, where player can be paid what ever a side wants but has a notional value against a "cap"
1st year first grade X
2nd year first gradeY
etc
1 SOO = + $$A
2 SOO = + $$B
3 SOO = + $$C
etc
1 INTERNATIONAL = + $$D
2 NTERNATIONAL = + $$E
etc
the loyalty clause
"if a player come from a junior team at the same club he recieved a discount of X%
if a player playes 6 consecutive years of NRL level at the same club he shall be aplicable for a Y% discount, and this shall increase for every year consecutive service after that if the player changes club at any poin the discount is lost."

This is a pretty easy system, allows the clubs to pay what ever they want, but still has a "Notional Cap" in place to help distrubute the talent.
Examples
1st year frst grader is worth $40k
2nd year is worth $60k
3rd year is worht $80k
4th year is worth $100k
5th year is worth $120k
6th year is worth $140k
7th year is worth $160k
8th year is worth $180k
9th year is worth $200k
10th year is worh $220k
All player after 10 years in NRL are valued at $220k

1 SOO is worth $20k
2 SOO is worth $30k
3 SOO is worth $40k
4 SOO is worth $50K
5 SOO is worth $60K
6 $70k
7 $80k
8 $90k
9 $100k
10 $110k
Any player with 10 + SOO apperances shall have a value of $110k.

Test players shall have the same additions as SOO players ontop.

The loyalty bonus shall work as follows
Legitimate junior promoted = -10%
6 consecutive years 1 club player = -10%
7 consecutive years 1 club player = -20%
8 consecutive years 1 club player = -30%
9 consecutive years 1 club player = -40%
10 consecutive years 1 club player = -50%
11 consecutive years 1 club player = -60%
12 consecutive years 1 club player = -70%
After 12 year as a 1 club player they will remain as a 70% discount.

SO.....
a 8 year 1 club player with 6 SOO and 4 Test shall be

$180k base + SOO $70K + TESTS $50K = $300k - 30% loyalty ($90k) = $210k
if the same player had of chaged clubs he as a value of $300k
Have a notional cap of say $4mil.

Just my thoughts anyway.

not too bad but you should put something in their for marquee player such as thurston, hayne, soward

nqcowboy87

Bench
And this week has proven that no matter how you try to beat the system, you will get found out and pay the price.

With teams like Cronulla and Newcastle - you kinda do have to hold their hands and make sure they survive. Unless we are happy with an NBL or A-League situation where we aren't sure which teams are going to be in the comp year-to-year.

exactly i hate the nbl where you dont know which team is playing which year

Mark Rudd

Juniors
NRL clubs that develop players, or those that sign long term deals with a club (3+ yrs nowdays is long term) should be able to pay unlimited 3rd party payments to that player with the money being deferred to the last year of his contract to encourage him to stay for his full term.

If that was the case, maybe this whole shamozzle might've never have happened....