What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FLOYD

Zef

Juniors
Ron Jeremy said:
I favourite all time Pink Floyd song is Comfortably Numb,
The actual song is about Heroin!!...kind of scary but the lyric's are just amazing.

That's a common mistake - it's not. Put it in the context of "The Wall" as a whole and have another look at it.

It's about Pink.

Zef

Juniors
Terminator said:
Will Floyd ever tour again out here do you think Millers? [-o&lt, post: [/quote"]

I seen an interview with Gilmour recently on DVD (about Sid) and when the question of touring again anywhere was raised Gilmour literally :roll:

I think he's done with it.

millersnose

Post Whore
alright then

worst floyd works

"on the turning away" - vomit

radio chaos was very hit and miss

and a lot of the early stuff mid song experimentation didnt work - ie saucerful of secrets

for example echoes starts so wonderfully then right in the middle 4 minutes of dicking around with electronic noise - they did it also in atom heart mother

maybe they had to do that as a process to develop the masterpieces later on but it still dissappoints me that i dont have a FF button on my car CD player that i can skip such prattle

ozbash

Referee
I dont mind the song : on the turning away: its musically very nice on the ear :)
their earlier stuff (with syd barrett) was a bit erratic.
i will say this for waters, he gave them direction and tho he instigated a fair amount of friction , he bought the band together.( he also nearly destroyed floyd but thats another story.)

i like The Division Bell,, it was heavily criticised but i reckon lyric wise it takes a lot of beating..

floyd will never tour again as a band. i hope what has been said with regard to touring is wrong.

Zef

Juniors
ozbash said:
floyd will never tour again as a band. i hope what has been said with regard to touring is wrong.

The word on their fan site was that they were mulling over doing "The Wall" show for the 25th anniversary (PF love anniversary's). Walters was especially keen (cause it's his baby), Mason & Wright would go with the flow but Gilmour hit it with a cold spoon, because he HATES "The Wall" (cause it's Roger's baby)

In that interview I was referring to, the interviewer turned conversation to The Wall in reference to Sid's relevance to it and Gilmour became clearly agitated and mumbled something like "Please, let's not get into another Wall interview, I don't want to talk about it. The Wall lacked soul."

Still, Walters is keen to do another "big production" Wall show somewhere for The 25th anniversary. That's the closest anyone will ever see to a Pink Floyd "big bells & whistles" show ever again.

Zef

Juniors
For Floyd fans, some very intersting DVD's have come out in the last year or so:

PINK FLOYD Live at Pompeii The film from '72 remastered with additional footage. The interviews in the Abbey Rd Studio Canteen during the making of Dark Side Of The Moon are absolute classic stuff. Also have a good laugh at Gilmour with hair down to his arse playing shirtless - I couldn't imagine 'ol fatty going shirtless now.

PINK FLOYD & The Syd Barrett Story Contains very, very interesting interviews with all of them about Syd, including the one with Gilmour I've been referring to. No Music, just talk.

PINK FLOYD The Dark Side Of The Moon (30th Anniversary) The "Classic Albums" show on the DSOTM. I've never seen this episode of "Classic Albums" on Oz TV, but anyone who knows the show will know it's a class act. ***** Star rating, if you're a Floyd fan you must have this.

ROGER WALTERS The Wall Live in Berlin The Wall show big and impressive. Sinead O'connor steals the show with her rendition of "Mother" (But Roger thinks she's an unprofessional bitch because.... see the DVD, it's woth it.)

millersnose

Post Whore
Zef said:
For Floyd fans, some very intersting DVD's have come out in the last year or so:

PINK FLOYD Live at Pompeii The film from '72 remastered with additional footage. The interviews in the Abbey Rd Studio Canteen during the making of Dark Side Of The Moon are absolute classic stuff. Also have a good laugh at Gilmour with hair down to his arse playing shirtless - I couldn't imagine 'ol fatty going shirtless now.

is there any additional stuff not on the video version?

PINK FLOYD & The Syd Barrett Story Contains very, very interesting interviews with all of them about Syd, including the one with Gilmour I've been referring to. No Music, just talk.

hmm though interesting it would be hard to justify buying a talky

PINK FLOYD The Dark Side Of The Moon (30th Anniversary) The "Classic Albums" show on the DSOTM. I've never seen this episode of "Classic Albums" on Oz TV, but anyone who knows the show will know it's a class act. ***** Star rating, if you're a Floyd fan you must have this.

lol
too much compression?

ROGER WALTERS The Wall Live in Berlin The Wall show big and impressive. Sinead O'connor steals the show with her rendition of "Mother" (But Roger thinks she's an unprofessional bitch because.... see the DVD, it's woth it.)

did anyone see the live broadcast - it was awfully mixed - apparently a loty of stuff was redone in the studio

still with a production that big some things had to go wrong

thanks zef - i didnt know about this one

i am off to buy it now
:lol:

Zef

Juniors
millersnose said:
did anyone see the live broadcast - it was awfully mixed - apparently a loty of stuff was redone in the studio

Walters and co talk about that in the doco that comes with it. They'd pre-recorded the whole rehersal in front of a smaller crowd a couple of days earlier. When the live broadcast started to f***up, they just cut to the pre-recorded songs for the live broadcast. It all started around "The Thin Ice" really stuffed up "Mother", then was all sweet until "The Trial" (Ute Lemper's part was eventually done in studio).

After the concert had gone live to air they re-did the other songs and then some for the 350K crowd that was there (and the sound/video track of course), all except Sinead who threw a hissy fit.

Walters gives her the ultimate insult for a performer - "Unprofessional"

But damn the version of "Mother" she does that ended up on the DVD send shivers down your spine. I'm glad she didn't try and do it again.

Terminator

First Grade
So Skinhead O'Connor and Roger never hit it off, that seems to be a problem the second PF singer has with a lot of people?

hrundi99

First Grade
Contrary to you guys I love the Syd Barrett 60s stuff.

I think the Wall is very over-rated. Whilst a lot of effort was put into it, and it's clever, I think that Waters got away with a little too much pretentiousness.

I used to really like it when I first got into them but now it bores me.

I'd rather listen to Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother or Meddle. Great mood music.

The Wall was the death knell for them creatively as far as I'm concerned.

millersnose

Post Whore
hrundi99 said:
I'd rather listen to Ummagumma, Obscured By Clouds, Atom Heart Mother or Meddle. Great mood music.

ummagumma more listenable than the wall???????

its a mess
a bunch of sound effects

by the way i had a picnic at grantchester meadows july last year

the wall was a masterpiece - the most complete musical work ever done

as for barretts stuff - although pleasant songs about gnomes and scarecrows dont really do it for me

hrundi99

First Grade
millersnose said:
hrundi99 said:

ummagumma more listenable than the wall???????

its a mess
a bunch of sound effects

by the way i had a picnic at grantchester meadows july last year

the wall was a masterpiece - the most complete musical work ever done

as for barretts stuff - although pleasant songs about gnomes and scarecrows dont really do it for me

I really have to disagree with you on this one.

The earlier albums sound like a band truly experimenting with the format. This stuff interests me, like Miles Davis and Coltrane.

The Wall was a successful attempt at a rock opera. It's message is tired. It would have been more interesting if Roger Waters recorded himself jerking off (oh wait, he did). Musically it's not bad, but i can't get over the Waters factor.

A pop star grows tired of fame and builds an emotional/psychological wall to shield himself from society and those around him. Ho hum.

A masterpiece? Meh...I'll take Revolver, Pet Sounds, Kind of Blue, Blonde on Blonde, Bee Thousand, Girlfriend, Grand Prix, etc thanks.

hrundi99

First Grade
Well I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I'd rather listen to it than the Wall.

Maybe i listened to the wall too much as a teenager.

#-o

Terminator

First Grade
Your off your scone Hrundi, too much pot in your younger days has wasted your brain cells to prefer sounds of animals to The Wall, which is a work of pure genius.

Zef

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
A pop star grows tired of fame and builds an emotional/psychological wall to shield himself from society and those around him. Ho hum.

You say that as if it's a millstone, nobody else had put that down on vinyl. The more interesting stuff is who is in there? - Roger & Syd (loosely in parts and exact in others).

Who's Pink? - Roger & Syd.

I remember reading a story on Floyd where the author reckoned Floyd in the Walters era looked in at themselves, post Walters they looked out at the world.

I sorta agree with it.

And of course in the Syd era they were all just on drugs.

But anyway I digress, I've always rated The Wall #1 of all time of any artist in my colection. And it's very interesting how many Wall fans there are who aren't necessay Floyd fans (search the net). Thing's huge on the net.

I myself was a Wall fan before I was a Floyd fan, now I'm some sort of Floyd nerd.

Terminator

First Grade
Same here I encountered The Wall on TV late at night when my parents thought I'd gone to bed, and I was mesmerised by it, still am.
I didnt get into the band until about 6 years later.

Jono Russell

Bench
went and saw roger waters when he was our last and let me just say that Mother is the best damn song live along with pigs on the wing and wish you were here.

limp bizkit do a great cover of wish you were here as well

hrundi99

First Grade
Terminator said:
Your off your scone Hrundi, too much pot in your younger days has wasted your brain cells to prefer sounds of animals to The Wall, which is a work of pure genius.

Never touched the stuff.

Genius? Each to their own I guess. :roll:

I'm starting to think it's the most over-rated album ever.

Latest posts