What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Focus on the psychology

dazeely

First Grade
Opinion: Focus on the psychology

When your side goes this close, it's easy to shrug off the loss and say 'we can do it next year' however Parramatta needs to address some fundamental deficiencies if 2008 is to be any different to what was served up this year.

On face value, Parramatta should be well-placed next year to at least match this year's result. They retain the bulk of this year's squad and young talents like Inu, Mateo, Cordoba and Hayne all go into next year with far more experience under their belts. Yes, they will miss Timana Tahu, who simply can't be replaced, even by someone as good as Inu but they have enough talent coming through the ranks to suggest that next year can be even more successful than this year.

However, I am worried about Parramatta's ability to address what has been their major failings all year, and which was apparent again, against Melbourne.

Firstly, for all the experience in the Eels side, we do not have the kind of leader who, when backs are to the wall, will take it upon themselves to lift the side and turn the momentum in a game.

We do have some great leaders in Nathan Cayless and Nathan Hindmarsh. Brett Finch and Mark Riddell lend support but none of these players are high-impact players who's game lends itself to being able to change the flow of the game. The only real high-impact, senior player for Parramatta in 2007 was Timana Tahu and he won't be here next year.

There was no better example of the kind of leadership I'm talking about then what Michael Crocker produced against us yesterday. Don't think that there is any coincidence that Melbourne are undefeated with Crocker in the side. When Melbourne was lurching aimlessly yesterday Crocker came up with some massive plays in both attack and defence which literally turned the game.

Unfortunately for Parramatta our high-impact players are our younger, inexperienced players like Tim Smith, Feleti Mateo and Jarryd Hayne. All these players will be better next year but will they be ready to take on the kind of leadership role that is desperately needed by the club?

I think each of these three players are capable of growing into leaders. Tim Smith shows leadership in spurts, Feleti Mateo showed great leadership potential in last year's Premier League grand final and I liked some of the passion Jarryd Hayne displayed yesterday.

IMO, Michael Hagan needs to have these high-impact players take on far more senior roles next year if we're to go to the next level. They need to realise that when things aren't going well, THEY are the players who the team relies on to turn things around.

Young players can take on this role. Sonny Bill Williams is exactly that kind of leader for the Bulldogs. Smith, Hayne and Mateo need to have their leadership qualities nurtured and fostered so they make the rapid progression in seniority that Williams had made.

Secondly, Parramatta needs to learn how to concentrate for a full eighty minutes. I'm not sure if Parramatta have a sports psychologist on staff, but if they don't, it should be the first priority for next year and if they do, they need to get a new one. It's simply not good enough for a professional sporting team to be so up and down both during the season and during a game. The players need to learn the kind of headspace they need to get into, which enables them to perform as close as possible to maximum effectiveness, for every minute they're on the paddock representing their club.

This is the umpteenth year that Eels fans have had to suffer through a season where every second week there are questions asked about attitude and commitment. It needs to be fixed and fans should expect that they will see their side perform week in, week out. For the most part it wasn't even about effort, it was simply about mental strength and concentration. The Eels showed in recent weeks they are at the same level as Melbourne and Manly yet they finished many wins behind them and based on that, probably didn't deserve to get to the Grand Final.

Parramatta have proven they are as professional a club as any in terms of junior development, training techniques and resources. Unfortunately, none of these things matter if you haven't gotten right the single most important variable in the performance of your team - and that's whats between the player's ears. Hagan has brought a calmness to the club and the player's seem to genuinely enjoy the environment, but something is missing - a degree of ruthlesness or focus - that is inhibiting the type of winning culture that both grand finalists have shown this year. In the review of 2007 and when preparations are made for 2008, that needs to be where our club's attention is directed.

http://www.filthy_spammers.com/

Very interesting read from 1eyeedeel. Makes a lot of sense imo. Just a little X factor is missing.

cirque

Juniors
I second to that Daz. Well observed and well written. We do not have players who inspire same way as Freddie or Steven Price. I think our players are quite pampered. When they bit any good teams we showers praise that they fall flat when they encounter lower placed team with zeal to win the game. We have seen enough evidence about this characteristics this year , I am referring to games against Sharks, St George, Newcastle.
We have players getting old and I think they cannot sustain pace of the game. we end up giving silly penalties. Yes Melbourne is a awesome team - most of the origin players are from Storm. But we had the opportunity to win against them and we floundered.
Some member would say - Parra has shown guts against Melbourne. But that is not enough in semi finals. We have to win.. simple as that. We cannot come out of park and sit in front of reporters just to say "I thought we played gutsy football there". We know Parra has been playing "gutsy football" for 21 years with no GF under our belt. So probably gutsy football is not the way we should play or we are not playing GUTSY enough.
If we have this kind of mental capability - we will falter next year and year after.
Our recruitment strategy probable one of the worst in the NRL. We keep players who cannot create enough on the park...
I hope Hagan needs to break down the structure and make from scratch. We need players from other team who can bring something different in our culture. Yes we have to nurture young players, saying that we need some fresh ideas and fresh plan. If we have to win the comp we have to be ruthless. We have to put away the clubs who are placed lower...

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Tripe.

I usually like what he says but that is rubbish.

If you go to sleep against Melbourne they put 40 on you. We played very, very well and proved that we are one of the top teams. We have improved throughout the season and we battled away fantastically yesterday.

Angry_eel

First Grade
we need a marquee signing. Look at Manly, they combined a bunch of nuffys plus some good juniors with marquees. We signed Finch for marquee ffs.

Parra Guru

Coach
I dunno what it is. We have the playing roster, the coaching staff, Hindy, a mouth watering backline, excellent support staff, awesome juniors, excellent facilities.

Why can't we win a premiership?

tbh the only thing we miss during the season are our September fans. Apparently the Eels are the best supported team in Sydney, yet we failed to sell out Parramatta stadium this year, even for the highly anticipated Manly game.

Other than that, I've got no explanation.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
We just don't have the right game plan. We need to have some skill in the forwards and have them making smart hit ups, not one out. They need to run more angles and look to have a second runner to make the defence make more decisions. They must also look to offload and try and create second phase. The backs will be able to cause damage off the back of it. And when PJ or Riddell scoots, they need at least one player up at the line supporting them. In defence, I think they are solid enough and if they can do what I said above, the opposition will find it difficult to attack.

I also think they need to see what has worked for them against the top sides. Personally, I think that they thought that they had to play uncreative football in big games to win. Against the Bulldogs, they bucked the trend and tried some things. Against Melbourne early they did it again but then went back to trying to grind and this let Melbourne back into the game because Melbourne were not having to work as hard in defence and the fact they didn't score gave Melbourne confidence.

Kornstar

Coach
Better execution is all we need.....our execution in the finals let us down big time, even when we were winning.....

Patience will help too!!

COACH STERLING

Juniors
We have a great team.

The main focus in 2008 onwards should be to develop the key positions. i.e 6,7, & 9.

The difference for me this year was the 2 teams playing the GF had better players in 2 positions. Piggy was good at hooker, and needs to maintain this form.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I think that a crucial thing in the Melbourne game was when Tim Smith kick the ball directly out in the first half. They were tired and it gave them a breather. After a penalty they scored next set.

cirque

Juniors
I guess in 20087 we should be playing better footy with proper game plan. Yes we will have ups and down but we should put away the team which other team has put away. Attitude - we have to be thirsty for success. We have to maintain discipline around the paddock. Our missed tackles are too many. We give away unnecessary penalties. We will have Burty back in 2008. I think he will lend a good structure. Coaching staff should think about right side defence. Cayless has to get his form back and if he thinks he cannot concentrate on his game due to his captaincy – then he has to handle the cap to somebody else. I think 21 years too long…..
Timy has to learn and learn quickly. He has to be consistent..

I think there was a curse brought against the club in October 1986 by a disgruntled Bulldogs-supporting Witch Doctor... until it is broken we are doomed to suffer mentally-disintergrating Preliminary Final and Grand Final losses (just to screw with our emotions even more) on a semi-annual basis... :?

Do we need to sacrifice some chickens on the 50-metre line at Parramatta Stadium to appease the gods?

John Saffran did it for the Socceroos... and they made the World Cup afterwards... :shock:

Angry_eel

First Grade
B-Tron 3000 said:
This isn't the A-League dude.
No its isn't but someone like Civ, Omeley or a marquee half could defo help us. Tell me exactly what we are lacking?
we have it all:
* Great Juniors
* Good coach
* Great facilities
* Great Support

emjaycee

Coach
Only one thing missing in my view and it might need a new player to the club to bring it in their kit bag.

Finch has it, but he simply isn't big enough.
Riddell has it too but he isn't able to produce it often enough.
Tahu sometimes has it, but he is heading to Rugby.
PJ can have it but sometimes he can't either.
Grothe rarely has it and when he does it's great to see.
Fui used to have it, but it got suspended out of him.
Other than that, I can't see anyone else with it.

What is it?

MONGREL!!

Angry_eel

First Grade
emjaycee said:
Only one thing missing in my view and it might need a new player to the club to bring it in their kit bag.

What is it?

MONGREL!!
Morro had it.

Tyler Durden

Juniors
gee...

we were able to knock off the big ugly warriors on their home turf.
then we knocked off the mutts on their home ground in a sudden death match
and pushed the storm all the way in their home city. and baring a couple of blades of grass with kris inu, could have actually got them.

Pazza

First Grade
emjaycee said:

What is it?

MONGREL!!

i thought we displayed plenty of mongrel

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Geez, Melbourne have the best club side i've seen since Manlys 95-97 sides. They're just a great unit, almost impossible to beat. Sides like this where each player compliments one another so perfectly is one in a decade stuff.

The only way the Storm will be beaten next year if they have some severe injuries, otherwise they'll win it again and again untill the salary cap really bites them on the arse or a bunch of freakish talents emerge from a club ( hopefully Parramatta)

Another thing worth noting is that the Storm would argurably have the biggest side in the comp, they're huge and have great natural strength and speed. As i said earlier teams like this dont come around very much, Parramatta's 2001 side was also a good example of freakish juniors coming through all at once, since then we've developed some guns like Hayne, Mateo etc but nothing compared to the emergence in 99/2000.

Honestly people, Everyother side would've be blown off the park today, they needed some 50/50 calls to go there way to beat us.

Suitman

Post Whore
Parra Guru said:
Apparently the Eels are the best supported team in Sydney, yet we failed to sell out Parramatta stadium this year, even for the highly anticipated Manly game.

That is just a myth.
It may have been true in 1986, but has been rarely seen since.

Suity

sportsmad

Juniors
bit harsh on Caylo imo. he was injured in the first 20, and was obviously unfit to play his normal role, he couldn't lead from the bench. but this is where i wish that Hages hadn't left it so long in getting Riddell back out there, i think we needed a bit of spark at the 10 min mark in the 2nd, we had drawn level, just needed to keep at it.
but as has been said, with a bit of luck (any would have been nice), a few better options for repeat sets, and the tossers not ripping limbs from torsos and we would have got them.

stay positive people, we will get there.....

Latest posts