What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau; drop him or keep him?

Drop him or keep him?

• Drop him

Votes: 71 81.6%
  • Keep him

Votes: 16 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mong

Post Whore
We dropped Hodges when he signed for another NRL club yet we let whores like Hunt and Folau continue to play for not only the Broncos but also the Maroons? What the f**k is going on in Brisbane these days.

Drop him to the QLD Cup asap.

Yeah, and have a good chunk of their cap playing in the QLD cup.. Great idea, that will show him..

:crazy:

johns_reds

First Grade
Yes because players in the past like gasiner were dropped to reserve grade.. Get a grip people, Broncos aren't going to drop Falou, no club would drop a player like Falou just because he has signed for another code at the END of the season, He is still committed for this season and should be treated so.

As for state of origin i feel QLD should pick the strongest team, if you start bringing politics into it you end up picking teams like NSW does. If there is a better player then Falou then he should be picked, if there isn't then Falou should be picked.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27210737-5018993,00.html

0,5001,7742674,00.jpg
Grounded ... Folau may have played his last Origin.Peter Wallis

Queensland unlikely to pick Israel Folau for State of Origin II due to AFL move

By Wayne Heming
June 01, 2010
Brisbane Broncos star Israel Folau's switch to AFL will come at a heavy price with Queensland poised to dump the rugby league defector from State of Origin.
The Queensland Rugby League wants to send a clear message to any players contemplating swapping codes that they can forget about being part of the showpiece event.

Folau signed a four-year deal worth a reported $6 million with new AFL franchise Greater Western Sydney on Tuesday.

QRL managing director Ross Livermore left little doubt as to how Folau's code change would be treated at the selection table on Monday week when the Maroons name their side for Origin II.

"When the selectors sit down to select a team, whether it be Queensland or Australia, they look at the value of the players, whether they are in form, whether they are going to be here for the future, what they've offered to the state,'' Livermore said.

"Our players are very loyal, the ones who have delivered before. What they've (selectors) got to look at is the big picture as well if a person is not going to be around for the big picture, that makes it very difficult to select such a player.

----------

see ya Izzy good whilst it lasted but if you wanna go to another code you wont be rewarded by playing on our biggest stage :nwave:

That was a bit different.

Bennett explained his decision to drop Hodges in his autobiography.

Basically they had given Hodges opportunities over other top prospects like Tate and Parker who had accepted half the pay to stay with the club than go elsewhere and Hodges thanked the club by chasing the money else where.

Hunt was one of the senior members of the club and was a vital part of it.

Folau is also a vital part of the 2010 squad.

In saying that, Folau did lose you guys a number of decent players from memory.

nqcowboy87

Bench
on the today shwo lockyer says issy shouldnt be allowed to play for the maroons, and if you want prrof just go over to the foxsports site and the news in a minute segment

Big Pete

Referee
In saying that, Folau did lose you guys a number of decent players from memory.

It was mostly Hunt actually.

We had a lot of spare cash in 2008 going into 2009 that we were saving for Hunt's massive contract and we just let him walk.

AuDragon

Juniors
It was mostly Hunt actually.

We had a lot of spare cash in 2008 going into 2009 that we were saving for Hunt's massive contract and we just let him walk.

We just let him walk? A bit off the mark here, aren't we? :roll:

Last edited:

nqcowboy87

Bench
POLYNESIANS with natural athletic ability are the next big targets for the AFL - and Israel Folau is ready to lure them away from the rugby codes.

As the face of Aussie rules in western Sydney, Folau has been recruited by the AFL not only to market the new Greater Western Sydney franchise but also attract highly skilled Polynesian teens.

''It's really about a second choice for them, most Polynesian kids tend to choose to play rugby league and I just think, as for me changing codes, they could have a second option and play AFL as well,'' Folau said.

''Especially in the western Sydney area, a lot of Polynesian kids will maybe be thinking about playing AFL now. I'm pretty lucky to have the talent that I have, but it's going to take a lot of hard work for me to make the transition.''

Folau, Sydney born of Tongan descent, said he ''certainly wouldn't feel guilty'' about luring players of any background to AFL, despite the time and money league had spent on his development.

The signing of the untried Folau to a multimillion-dollar contract has caused great angst in Australian football ranks, which has spurred AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou to email to every player, coach and official yesterday to explain the move.

In the email, Demetriou insists the value of Folau's contract is in line with those of other elite players in the code, with ''separate marketing and promotional contracts'' with an emphasis on ''the increasing promotion of our game throughout the Pacific Islands''.

Meanwhile, Folau has set his sights on becoming the second player to conquer all three codes by seeking a stint in European rugby before joining his AFL franchise, Greater Western Sydney - which will not stand in his way.

The 21-year-old rugby league star has signed a four-year deal with GWS worth $6 million but is also keen to dip his toe in European rugby union.

''It would be another awesome experience to go over there and play in another code and then come back to the AFL, that is something for me to look at down the track,'' Folau told the Herald.

Folau wants to emulate his friend Karmichael Hunt, who left the Broncos to play for French rugby side Biarritz before returning this week to join AFL side Gold Coast. ''I still don't know what I am going to do at the end of the year, whether I will stay here and practise or go overseas and have a stint in rugby union,'' Folau said. ''I'll see what the options are at the end of the year.''

Folau rejected an offer to join the Melbourne Rebels Super 15 rugby franchise to sign with the AFL.

GWS coach Kevin Sheedy said the club would not stop Folau spending his pre-season in Europe as opposed to training at Blacktown Olympic Park.

''As long as he gets into a situation where he starts practising his kicking - that's all I'm concerned about,'' Sheedy said. ''I'm not worried if he ends up playing rugby - he is two years younger than Karmichael so we're not going to worry about that. It will take me five years to get a bloke who has a build like his.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/izzy-afls-6m-polynesian-pioneer-20100601-wvd5.html

this exactly why he should be dropped

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
Do you think the Broncos could / should have done more?

Firstly, I made a mistake in my initial post. I was far too relaxed in what I said and I'm sorry for any confusion there.

What I meant is this: The Broncos released a number of players so that they could offer a substantial upgrade to Hunt's contract. They did this, only to see him walk away with the AFL.

The club couldn't of done more to of tried to retain their services. In fact, my problem with them is that they went to such an effort on a player who obviously wasn't keen on staying with the club.

While I have the chance, this is where all the money went in 2008 moving forward to 2009.

Israel Folau - Marquee contract. Not the reported 400K but still signed onto good money.
Peter Wallace - Had his contract substantially upgraded.
Ben Te'o - Was signed on good money.

The club then upgraded a lot of rookies contracts to keep them with the club.

badav

Bench
I agree with NQCowboy87.

Folau is contracted to the Bronco's and should be committed until the end of the season.

But if he's going to promote a rival code during the season or even make favourable comments such as above, thats just a joke and should be taking place while he's still playing in the NRL.

BDH

Juniors
I shouldn't be so casual on here...

Hunt left the Broncos high and dry.

Happy?

What I meant is this: The Broncos released a number of players so that they could offer a substantial upgrade to Hunt's contract. They did this, only to see him walk away with the AFL.

By "high and dry", what you really meant is; Hunt gave the Broncos 18 months notice he was leaving.

Hardly high and dry, don't blame the ineptitude of businessmen on a kid trying to set himself up for life.

beads6

First Grade
Didn't you change jobs not to long ago?

Where's the loyalty Beads?

I actually changed job for less money due to poor conditions..

No sorry Izzy will get shown the loyalty that he has shown his team mates and Rugby League.

Latest posts