What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau joins the Dragons

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Fortunately.

Fitting that Catalans were the only organisation in any code that would sign this cretin .. the same club that signed Greg Bird after his glassing charges, that signed Dave Taylor after his cocaine charges, and signed Todd Carney after his piss-drinking exploits.

Cretin?

Tell us what you really think.

dragon thomo

Juniors
Folau did not do anything wrong, just spoke his beliefs. I would not sign him becuase of his age and how long he has been out of the game.
If he was younger and at the right price i would not hesitate in signing him.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Folau did not do anything wrong, just spoke his beliefs. I would not sign him becuase of his age and how long he has been out of the game.

yeah, really glad we didn’t sign him, but I kind of agree. Firing a guy for speaking his mind is dangerous, even if it bordered in hate speech (if I heard right). I think the better way to handle it would have been to use his antics to speak the other way and condemn the comments

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

Yes- I want Rugby League to be tolerant, accepting and inclusive- but I'm not going to tolerate, accept or include Folau.....hmm.

I also want the Catalans Dragons to disappear- I'm sick of hear about the Dragons being linked with a player better than anything we've managed to sign only to learn its the Froggy outfit.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
yeah, really glad we didn’t sign him, but I kind of agree. Firing a guy for speaking his mind is dangerous, even if it bordered in hate speech (if I heard right). I think the better way to handle it would have been to use his antics to speak the other way and condemn the comments
Firstly, Folau's sacking was not because he simply spoke his mind, it was more to do with him breaking his contract with Rugby Union. I know a debate followed about his religious beliefs, but the fact is he signed a contract. Rugby Union felt he had breached that part of the contract.

Secondly, homophobia is wrong, and it can be explained in a number of different ways...
We live in a secular society where the laws override religious doctrine.
We have anti discrimination laws that came into effect in the 1970s - these laws are part of Australia's obligations to international human rights conventions.
'Free speech' to say whatever you want in Australia is not a god given right.
You cannot use your 'free speech' to undermine the freedom of others.
It is NOT legal to incite hate speech and/or spread vilification.
In summary: The notion of 'free speech' has its limits.

Thirdly, there's a reason why the NRL have stated that they would not register any contract with Folau. He hasn't backed down and may very well say it again, thereby placing any club between a rock and a hard place.

So, I think it's a dumb move to sign him.

Yanic Rey (media manager at Catalan) said, "We know what he did, it's the past now and we ask him to keep his opinion to himself in the future."
Link

Well, good luck with that Yanic.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Firstly, Folau's sacking was not because he simply spoke his mind, it was more to do with him breaking his contract with Rugby Union. I know a debate followed about his religious beliefs, but the fact is he signed a contract. Rugby Union felt he had breached that part of the contract.

Secondly, homophobia is wrong, and it can be explained in a number of different ways...
We live in a secular society where the laws override religious doctrine.
We have anti discrimination laws that came into effect in the 1970s - these laws are part of Australia's obligations to international human rights conventions.
'Free speech' to say whatever you want in Australia is not a god given right.
You cannot use your 'free speech' to undermine the freedom of others.
It is NOT legal to incite hate speech and/or spread vilification.
In summary: The notion of 'free speech' has its limits.

Thirdly, there's a reason why the NRL have stated that they would not register any contract with Folau. He hasn't backed down and may very well say it again, thereby placing any club between a rock and a hard place.

So, I think it's a dumb move to sign him.

Yanic Rey (media manager at Catalan) said, "We know what he did, it's the past now and we ask him to keep his opinion to himself in the future."
Link

Well, good luck with that Yanic.

Firstly, while the ARU believe Folau had involked its so-called Code Of Conduct policy (allegedly inserted within his playing contract), it also knew that it’s not legally enforceable under Australian employment laws.

In short, an employer cannot restrict an individual’s religious beliefs in any way shape or form. That’s why the Kangaroo Court it set up (which originally led to his ostracism$ was farcical. The ARU realised this and was very enthusiastic about seeking an out of court settlement.

Secondly, homophobia IS wrong but Folau’s comments WEREN’T homophobic...and let’s not forget they weren’t even his to begin with....they were “lifted” from Christian ideology.

This fact is important and has been neglected from the start.

It brings into question two things: 1. why has there been a failure to criticise the Church for its alleged hatred towards homosexuals? and 2. why has there been zero offence taken by other groups mentioned within the meme?

From memory, these included drunkards and idolatry.

The irony and hypocrisy is astounding..and not in a good way either.

Thirdly, my view is simplistic. Either you align with the Christian dogma as espoused in the meme or you don’t. This said, Folau has every right to express itgr same beliefs which are commonplace and taught throughout Australia on Sundays on a regular basis.

This isn’t new.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Firstly, while the ARU believe Folau had involked its so-called Code Of Conduct policy (allegedly inserted within his playing contract), it also knew that it’s not legally enforceable under Australian employment laws.

In short, an employer cannot restrict an individual’s religious beliefs in any way shape or form. That’s why the Kangaroo Court it set up (which originally led to his ostracism$ was farcical. The ARU realised this and was very enthusiastic about seeking an out of court settlement.
It's obvious why Folau decided to go legal. It was always going to be an out-of-court settlement.

Doesn't change the point, Rugby Union sacked him because they felt he had broken that agreement. They were always playing with fire. Expecting someone with extreme views to toe the line is just dumb.

And Catalan seem ready to take the same chance.
Secondly, homophobia IS wrong but Folau’s comments WEREN’T homophobic...and let’s not forget they weren’t even his to begin with....they were “lifted” from Christian ideology.

This fact is important and has been neglected from the start.
How is it not homophobic to wish harm on gay people because of who they are? I would have thought that was a pretty good definition of homophobia. And the gay community have good reason to be worried about it.

And passing the buck to his ideology is a cop out. What are you saying, he is not responsible for his own views? Because the church he belongs to is homophobic, so that makes it alright?

He was very clear that these were his views. If he transmits them over social media or video, he then takes ownership of those words.

The 'god spoke to me' defence is no defence in a secular society. If you want that to work as a defence, then join a theocracy... eg the Vatican or Iran.
It brings into question two things: 1. why has there been a failure to criticise the Church for its alleged hatred towards homosexuals?
Hardly alleged. The church and religious groups have been criticised for a lot of things, including their stance against gay marriage. The LBGTI legal service could provide you plenty of examples of complaints against religious groups.
and 2. why has there been zero offence taken by other groups mentioned within the meme?

From memory, these included drunkards and idolatry.

The irony and hypocrisy is astounding..and not in a good way either.
How can I say this nicely?

This has to be the worst and most disgraceful bottom feeder comparison I have seen in this Folau debate. You're not the only one to offer up such nonsense. It's OK to make a joke about being one of the other 'sinners', I've done it myself. But some folks are serious with this comparison, including you it seems.

Come back with your comparison when drunks and adulterers have living memory of being bashed up and their friends murdered for being who they are, while the police turned a blind eye. That is recent history for the gay community in Australia and sadly still happening in other parts of the world.

As I said before, the gay community have good reason to be worried about hate speech.
Thirdly, my view is simplistic.
Yes.
Either you align with the Christian dogma as espoused in the meme or you don’t. This said, Folau has every right to express itgr same beliefs which are commonplace and taught throughout Australia on Sundays on a regular basis.

This isn’t new.
Fine. But it's not commonplace. Say what you like in your place of worship, if that's what you're into. But don't preach hate into the wider community, to do so is undermining the freedom of others.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
It's obvious why Folau decided to go legal. It was always going to be an out-of-court settlement.

Doesn't change the point, Rugby Union sacked him because they felt he had broken that agreement. They were always playing with fire. Expecting someone with extreme views to toe the line is just dumb.

How is it not homophobic to wish harm on gay people because of who they are? I would have thought that was pretty good definition of homophobia. And the gay community have good reason to be worried about it.

And passing the buck to his ideology is a cop out. What are you saying, he is not responsible for his own views? Because the church he belongs to is homophobic, so that makes it alright?

He was very clear that these were his views. If he transmits them over social media or video, then he takes ownership of those words.

The 'god spoke to me' defence is no defence in a secular society. If you want that to work as a defence, then join a theocracy... eg the Vatican or Iran.
Hardly alleged. The church and religious groups have been criticised for a lot of things, including their stance against gay marriage. The LBGTI legal service could provide you plenty of examples of complaints against religious groups.How can I say this nicely?

This has to be the worst and most disgraceful bottom feeder comparison I have seen in this Folau debate. You're not the only one to offer up such nonsense. It's OK to make a joke about being one of the other 'sinners', I've done it myself. But some folks are serious with this comparison, including you it seems.

Come back with your comparison when drunks and adulterers have living memory of being bashed up and their friends murdered for being who they are, while the police turned a blind eye. That is recent history for the gay community in Australia and sadly still happening in other parts of the world.

As I said before, the gay community have good reason to be worried about hate speech.
Yes. Fine. But it's not commonplace. Say what you like in your place of worship, if that's what you're into. But don't preach hate into the wider community, to do so is undermining the freedom of others.

How is it not homophobic to wish harm on gay people because of who they are? I would have thought that was a pretty good definition of homophobia. And the gay community have good reason to be worried about it.

He was very clear that these were his views. If he transmits them over social media or video, he then takes ownership of those words.

Hardly alleged. The church and religious groups have been criticised for a lot of things, including their stance against gay marriage. The LBGTI legal service could provide you plenty of examples of complaints against religious groups.How can I say this nicely?

Yes. Fine. But it's not commonplace. Say what you like in your place of worship, if that's what you're into. But don't preach hate into the wider community, to do so is undermining the freedom of others.

Agreed...the matter was always going to be finalised out of court, but it’s only because it finally dawned on the ARU that Folau was in a position of strength from a litigation perspective.

He could’ve severely towelled up the code.

It faced a multi million dollar payout far worse than what it had to ultimately spend. The ARU tried to improse a laughable (not to mention, illegal) Code Of Conduct policy...found out it couldn’t...and tried to save face by acquiescing meekly.

I didn’t change the point

You did.

I repudiate that the meme Folau posted contained ANY reference to hate.

It simply doesn’t. Please show me otherwise.

(I don’t think you fully understand the definition of homophobia, which universally refers to descriptions of dislike and hatred.

Equally, Folau has NOT indicated he hates anyone irrespective of their social standing. In fact, he has gone on public record stating the contrary. Of course, this gets ignored by those determined to stick the knife in.

As for the meme, it espouses a certain ideology which an individual can choose to agree with or otherwise. This moves onto the concept of free will, which is an entirely different conversation altogether.

As for Israel posting whatever on his Instagram account...fine, he can do so. He hasn’t committed a crime; his beliefs are well known. More importantly...and this is conveniently ignored by hypocrites....he isn’t forcing anyone to agree with them: There is (at least) a 50% possibility he’s right.

I note your hypocrisy that it’s ok to ridicule religious groups. Not much of an even playing field there.

And your (quite frankly) hysterical claptrap apropos “comparisons” is flawed and poorly constructed.,You and I...including the average schmuck in the street, all know that if the term homosexuals wasn’t featured in that bloody meme, none of this nonsense would have occurred.

Are you so naive to not realise that (for example) adulterers also face the same severe punishment you’ve mentioned, particularly in Middle Eastern countries? There are places outside Australia, y’know?

Time to hope off the high horse and accept not everyone is suckered in by hysteria driven by numerous media outlets controlled by emotive headlines and corporate avarice.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Seriously Jimmy..

Have a break..

You’re only making a goose of yourself.