What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

I'm still surprised that the Dogs managed to squeeze an extra 2 players in mid season. I don't say I agree with how Schubert is handling things - I'm just saying that what it looks like to me is that they are now trying to make amends for their mistakes of the past. Sadly it would seem at our expense.
I think the players that sign mid-season some of thier wages go under the following years cap don't they?

duck_dodgers

Juniors
I'm still surprised that the Dogs managed to squeeze an extra 2 players in mid season. I don't say I agree with how Schubert is handling things - I'm just saying that what it looks like to me is that they are now trying to make amends for their mistakes of the past. Sadly it would seem at our expense.

warriors & roosters wouldve still copped most of the cap for Inu & Perrett .

Dogs admin >>>>>> Eels admin

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I doubt it very, very much. This board aren't anywhere near that good.

No I suspect that we will get into a bidding war over the next six or so months where anything can happen.

But a cunning Machiavellian style plot that actually succeeds by this board, ah ah, I don't think so. More the type of plot hatched by Boss Hogg and his sheriff Rosco.

So what has happened to the salary cap space that we were offering to all the players we didn't get a couple of months ago? Why can't we offer it to Israel Folau?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I have sat here and read your continual verbal diarrhoea for the past few seasons .I suggest before you go calling anyone a F------ Idiot that you are standing in front of your mirror.

Mate, I might be a shit human being but to suggest I'm an idiot is laughable. lol

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Maybe the dogs kept a little bit of cap space free as a contingency.

I reckon we have quite a bit put aside for Izzy. Apparently SK and Nolen have been working on this deal for a long time.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
So what has happened to the salary cap space that we were offering to all the players we didn't get a couple of months ago? Why can't we offer it to Israel Folau?

Maybe we forgot that we were talking to Izzy, and we used all our cap to give our guys upgrades and contract extensions. Now we're carrying on like good sorts blaming the NRL for what we've done.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Is that even his job though? I'd have thought it Edwards and the reason we're in this predicament is because Kearney and Nolan were doing it all themselves.

It's because Nolan and the coach are the ones with the football experience to judge a player's value, and knowledge of the game and the desired team structure to decide how those values are best distributed. Edwards is just an administrator - he should deal with the business side of things. The salary cap might seem like a business factor (because it pertains to salaries) but it is actually a purely football factor - an arbitrary imposition on business practice directly related to footballing ability.

boxhead

First Grade
It's because Nolan and the coach are the ones with the football experience to judge a player's value, and knowledge of the game and the desired team structure to decide how those values are best distributed. Edwards is just an administrator - he should deal with the business side of things. The salary cap might seem like a business factor (because it pertains to salaries) but it is actually a purely football factor - an arbitrary imposition on business practice directly related to footballing ability.

Yes, because footballers know where to put their money. :sarcasm:

spiderdan

Bench
Why exactly should the quality of kids in our district translate into an advantage to our NRL club?
my thoughts are it should give us some kind of advantage because the club invests so much dough in the juniors in our area.

a few years ago i remember ovo saying at one of the 3p forums that the club spends $2m a year on junior development. can't remember who it was that was there but someone then pointed out that by comparison manly spend $50k per year and how on radio blocker was saying manly does have a junior nursey and it's called parra.

seems this "war" with the afl for west sydney that the nrl seem to think is happening is being funded by parra and penrith. if a club can't get an edge for funding so much development of junior talent, like parra, penrith, dragons and newcastle do, then the ruling body should be funding it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
what cash?

it looks like if we hadn't just released Horo and Esi Tonga we would have been over the cap :crazy:

Kornstar

Coach
I don't think anyone is saying Kearney is blameless - rather, people such as Pou and myself are saying that, while he made a lot of mistakes and his tenure here was a failure, there were some factors beyond his control that made things very difficult for him (and any coaches before and after him).

It's been said often how badly managed our cap is - and a rookie coach was never going to be the smartest choice to manage all that. But I think that blame should be directed at the powerbrokers who made those decisions, right?

Without doubt! They seem protected most of the time too.......rookie board hiring a rookie coach, amatuer hour!

Hopefully they have learnt from their mistakes and the hiring of Stuart and Edwards is a step in the right direction.......