What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree with what you're saying apart from Folau being a waste of money. I think he'll be back to his devastating best after a few rounds of footy.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player - one of the best outside backs in the game - and I'm certain he'll pick up more or less where he left off.

But once Hopoate gets here in 2014 one of them will be redundant. Not in the sense that he won't be an improvement on whomever he replaces in the side, but in the sense that he will be another big money player who needs to get plenty of ball, competing with other big money players who need plenty of ball to justify their price tags.

There's only so much footy to spread around before players start diminishing in their centrality to the game plan. It's okay to play Cam Smith and Billy Slater in an Origin team with Thurston and Lockyer, because they (Smith and Slater) can play supporting roles and do it well. But at club level (with a salary cap) you want your money's worth out of Smith and Slater, so you make them the focus of the attack, and you play them alongside Cronk and some relative nuffy (Finch or Widdop) whose job is to help the more expensive players shine.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a great player - one of the best outside backs in the game - and I'm certain he'll pick up more or less where he left off.

But once Hopoate gets here in 2014 one of them will be redundant. Not in the sense that he won't be an improvement on whomever he replaces in the side, but in the sense that he will be another big money player who needs to get plenty of ball, competing with other big money players who need plenty of ball to justify their price tags.

There's only so much footy to spread around before players start diminishing in their centrality to the game plan. It's okay to play Cam Smith and Billy Slater in an Origin team with Thurston and Lockyer, because they (Smith and Slater) can play supporting roles and do it well. But at club level (with a salary cap) you want your money's worth out of Smith and Slater, so you make them the focus of the attack, and you play them alongside Cronk and some relative nuffy (Finch or Widdop) whose job is to help the more expensive players shine.

Not too sure if this theory will work - but maybe if you have rep quality centres on either side (hoppa/izzy) with trying scoring / line breaking ability - there may not be the need the have that quality attacking
second rower just one that does his job (eg Ben smith style player) thus meaning we don't have to spend to much on the forwards .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Football knowledge does not factor in

:lol:

How would they know a player's value then you imbecile? By asking his manager?!? :lol:

How would they know how much of the cap to allocate to each position within the squad without knowing the way the team intended to play? :lol:

Now that I have destroyed the foundation of your argument the rest of your post is moot. Just like you, you dirty big hairy moot.

the value of the salaries, paying the salaries, managing the salaries, and complying with several regulations. Simple arithmetic doesn't apply when one has to negotiate terms with three parties; a player, an agent, and the NRL, and by extension, all the unions each party may represent. One has to consider the standards and practices of each party, and approach each party individually with a uniquely tailored approach.

And that's Ken Edwards' job. After the coach has told him the player he wants and the absolute maximum he is worth to our team, Edwards can handle all of that non-football crap. You can go discuss it in the accounting forum.

Then we have all the fun and joy of managing multiple limits on payments to players, including how much a player can receive from certain outside sources, not to mention all the various third parties that would be interested in sponsoring a player.

I'm sorry, but you are deluded if you think any average individual armed with 'footballing experience' will know how to manage all of that.

Who said anything about an 'average individual'? Is this your first attempt at a strawman? Needs more direct quotes. B-

Not to mention that by nature of managing a salary cap, one also has to monitor the financial situation of the club itself. Can the club afford these players, can the club afford to pay them in this way? What about organizing the way payments are allocated to players and when they are allocated so as to maximize profit margins and reduce the frequency of debtors?

Like I said, that's for Ken Edwards to worry about, after the footballing staff tell him the upper limit on that player's value to the team.

Yep, because someone like Anthony Watmough could just waltz into such a job and do it all as well as you claim.

I'll give you a D on this strawman. I never even mentioned Anthony Watmough. As far as we know he has never even displayed an interest in coaching or recruitment, let alone having experience in the area.

This is why recruitment is not solely managed by one party. Nolan identifies players and gives them a value, as you say, but he does it in tandem with Edwards and other staff who work on the actual financial details.

Ultimately the coach has to decide the players he wants at the club, and he has to weigh up the opportunity cost of having one player here over another (i.e. the amount of salary cap the player is worth).

It starts and finishes with the coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Not too sure if this theory will work - but maybe if you have rep quality centres on either side (hoppa/izzy) with trying scoring / line breaking ability - there may not be the need the have that quality attacking
second rower just one that does his job (eg Ben smith style player) thus meaning we don't have to spend to much on the forwards .

Definitely possible. The problem with wide players is that the more passes it takes to get the ball into their hands, the easier it is for the defence to restrict their ability to have an impact. This is why 'spine players' are all the rage these days; because they are rarely more than one or two passes off the ruck, meaning they get to decide where and when they receive the ball without the defence having too much of a say.

One of the plusses of expensive centres is that it is crucial to have strong one-on-one defenders in the position, and the assumption is that expensive outside backs are good defenders. That's not always the case though - Will Hopoate is an excellent defender but I remember Folau having a few problems with his lateral movement.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Worth noting too that two of the previous three premiership sides (Manly and St George) had high quality (and certainly expensive) players at centre. For both teams their edge defence was a key feature of their premiership charge.

boxhead

First Grade

How would they know a player's value then you imbecile? By asking his manager?!? :lol:

How would they know how much of the cap to allocate to each position within the squad without knowing the way the team intended to play? :lol:

Now that I have destroyed the foundation of your argument the rest of your post is moot. Just like you, you dirty big hairy moot.

And that's Ken Edwards' job. After the coach has told him the player he wants and the absolute maximum he is worth to our team, Edwards can handle all of that non-football crap. You can go discuss it in the accounting forum.

Who said anything about an 'average individual'? Is this your first attempt at a strawman? Needs more direct quotes. B-

Like I said, that's for Ken Edwards to worry about, after the footballing staff tell him the upper limit on that player's value to the team.

I'll give you a D on this strawman. I never even mentioned Anthony Watmough. As far as we know he has never even displayed an interest in coaching or recruitment, let alone having experience in the area.

Ultimately the coach has to decide the players he wants at the club, and he has to weigh up the opportunity cost of having one player here over another (i.e. the amount of salary cap the player is worth).

You are such an idiot and a troll that I really shouldn't bother replying, but eh, why not?

You start by misquoting me and taking my comment out of context. Footballing knowledge does not solely determine the valuation of a player. Let's use football as an example. Cristiano Ronaldo was signed for over 100 million dollars by Real Madrid. Is he worth that as a player? No. Is he worth that as a marketing tool? Yes. Hence, a person that doesn't even watch football will be able to provide a suitably good estimate of their value to the club. Ditto for rugby league.

Look at Ken Edwards. Let's say he doesn't watch football, though he reads about it, but he is informed by Ricky as to what player the team needs - being Benji Marshall in this example. Now, Ken only has to look at the amount of stories that are published about Benji, the number of interviews and television appearances he gives, as well as the general fan reaction to him to give a semi-accurate summation of his value. This is when the coach steps in and says "he is a very good player".

You are only touching the base of the subject, you are that blind. The club needs to weigh up the value of the player not just for what they do on the field but for what they do off the field. Take Anthony Watmough for instance. He has a well documented history of public incidents. Now, a coach that ignores that aspect will value him at say, 350K, because he is a great player. However, the CEO will look at his age and his off-field behaviour and rate his value significantly lower. The fact is, player value is not determined simply by on-field performance. In addition, the factors of age and health are very much relevant.

Hence, you are an absolute idiot for attempting to blow me off on one out-of-context quote. Simply put, why I continue to bother with you is beyond me.

And to answer your question; they know from the valuation of the coach and/or scouts, such as Peter Nolan. But Nolan can only give one side of the value - the administration needs to weigh up all of the factors, not just how 'good' a player is.

You didn't destroy the basis of my argument. You exposed yourself as a ludicrous fool that is endemic of the sporting masses, i.e. you represent the small percentage of society's individuals others refer to as "scum".

This is hilarious given you just made a whole rah-rah about how a person cannot know a player's value without watching them play. Didn't you just say, essentially, that the only way to judge them is their on-field status? Read your post again, think about the meaning of the word 'hypocrisy' and try to re-think your argument.

That is not just Ken Edwards' job. It concerns the administration of the Eels, not just one person. Similarly, scouting is not solely done by Peter Nolan, it also involves other individuals, as well as the coaching staff. And this is what you fail to understand. You can go and re-write what you posted earlier but it won't change the fact that you said it. You essentially stated that it was solely the job of people like Nolan or the coach, not the administration, and I pointed out how wrong you were. Now that you are back-tracking and trying to deflect and change your previous stance, your lack of logic is apparent to everyone.

Well I'm sorry, you are the one that said the only attribute necessary to recruitment was 'footballing experience' or words to that effect. What did I say before? Learn the meaning of the word 'hypocrisy'? Actually no, I have a better one. 'Logic'.

And you suitably miss the point. Maybe you should quote posts fully and not try and attack individual points that are intended to be a part of a cohesive whole. The Anthony Watmough example ties into the previous paragraph about how you cannot just throw an ex-footballer into a recruitment role and expect them to do the job well.

Yes it is funny. The forum laughs at your insignificance. Have fun clutching at straws whilst I eat pizza and simultaneously watch Inception while feeding a dog. :sarcasm:

No, it does not. A club has to weigh up whether signing a player is a worthwhile investment in terms of attracting interest to the club. It depends on the player though. The valuation of a player has to come from more than the coach, as I explained previously. However, it doesn't matter what the valuation of the player is if they have an exaggerated opinion of themselves. Hence, 'desperation' comes into play. A club that is desperate to make a big-name signing to both attract interest and give fans a reason to renew their season tickets/be excited is more likely to bow to a player's demands. Notice something here? The coach is only principally involved in saying how much they want the player. He does not decide whether the economic downturn is worth the risk. Those running the club do.

They also have to weigh up whether it is a star player performing well that is nearing the end of their career. Businesses are all about profit, even sporting clubs. Hence, clubs are always trying to get the best return on investments. Johnathon Thurston at 27 looks a good player in his prime, but even if he is performing well at age 32, the club's valuation of him, and their willingness to purchase him, would be significantly reduced. What if the player had underlying heart or related medical issues as a result of genetic disorders that had not yet manifested? The player's on field status can become almost secondary here. Hence why a club recruiting John Mannah takes a risk, even if he would only be paid the minimum salary. But for a player that is performing very well? It will no doubt create a big gap between the coach and administration.

Long story short - you are a moron. Cheers.

Last edited:

magpie4ever

First Grade
I love this Parra blog, even though I'm not an eels supporter (do have a son connected with the juniors) - You two (Boxhead & Poupou) need a Bex and a good lie down or find a good women and have a decent root.:crazy::D

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore

cos they do it in combination with the coach and footballing staff - you imbecile

you even agree in the rest of your post - you twit

does todd greenburg have amazing football knowledge? - he does what he does cos he's a master manipulating businessman

Captain BF

Juniors
I was told today that izzy was training with the team during the week. Not sure if it has already been mentioned in the thread and i am sorry if i am reposting something that someone has already posted.