What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau turns back on Eels to play rugby union

El Diablo

Post Whore
Yeah the whole Ken Edwards encouraging fans to tweet Izzy and tell him how much we want him to be an Eel is looking rather silly now. As are Ricky Stuart's comments about where to play him once he comes back. The NRL are being pricks no doubt, but the club and admin only have themselves to blame for jumping the gun.

Qft

strider

Post Whore
I think we did expect to be competitive when we signed Tonga and Sandow. When things started going wrong I think we changed our minds and said don't worry we're just rebuilding.

I'm sure they still wanted to be competitive, and having a current rep player with plenty of experience at the club can only be good for the youngsters.

maybe they thought he'd make us competative .... but so far i've heard:
- we only signed him for 2 yrs cos we just wanted to fill before 2014 when we thought we'd be competative
- there is a snowball affect with backending ... don't pay $300K for someone when you are rebuilding and it might help stop the snowball

I like willie - but he's been a walking injury for a while and he's on the decline ... he was picked in rep teams before he came here cos others were injured (but yeah he was still good) .... i think he was quite a risk and now it's biting us (if it wasn't already with the snowball)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
maybe they thought he'd make us competative .... but so far i've heard:
- we only signed him for 2 yrs cos we just wanted to fill before 2014 when we thought we'd be competative
- there is a snowball affect with backending ... don't pay $300K for someone when you are rebuilding and it might help stop the snowball

I like willie - but he's been a walking injury for a while and he's on the decline ... he was picked in rep teams before he came here cos others were injured (but yeah he was still good) .... i think he was quite a risk and now it's biting us (if it wasn't already with the snowball)

He played 20 games in both 2010 and 2011, and 19 games in 2009. The last time he played less games in a season than he did this year (12 games) was in 2008 when he only played seven games.

strider

Post Whore
He played 20 games in both 2010 and 2011, and 19 games in 2009. The last time he played less games in a season than he did this year (12 games) was in 2008 when he only played seven games.

didn't he tear his arm out of it's socket in a SOO game one year? (but finish the game)

How can some clubs have so many elite players and still be under the Salary Cap while other clubs at the bottom of the table seem to be just under the Salary Cap?
The reality is all clubs spend the Salary Cap but not all are successful on the field. Someone has to come last and someone has to win, regardless of what they spend.
Some clubs will attract players on the basis of what the club can offer a player’s career rather than just money. Other clubs may need to spend more money to attract the same level of player.

Many factors affect individual players’ remuneration levels. Some of the reasons why a player may sign with a club include:
- Staying close to the player’s home town and family.
- The chance to work with one of the top coaches in the game.
- Being part of a winning team and the potential to play in the Telstra Premiership Finals Series or Grand Final.
- Increased opportunity to play NRL with that club due to a lack of competition for the player’s preferred position.
- The increased profile a player may enjoy in a one-team town.
- The number of support staff, their expertise and the support facilities.
- Education and welfare support structures.
http://www.nrl.com/tabid/10874/newsId/58360/Default.aspx
taken from the NRL themselves.
i think no.1 and no.2 should figure in this case with Izzy.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not to mention numbers 4,5,6 and 7.

Or is there another team in Parramatta that I'm unaware of?

The whole scenario is total crap. I'm still confused as to how Schubert has the right to tell a club how much a player is worth?
And if all this backended crap is true, I'm also stunned.... Because I've personally spoken to the powers that be and they (he) has assured me that they will not register contracts with "significant variance year by year". Those words are in inverted commas because they are a direct quote of someone.
(please note someone is not named and therefore no source is required)

Maroubra Eel

Coach
What about all the talk a few months ago in regards to Ando signing players to huge backended contracts. Must be a new rule the NRL brought in.

hardbaby

Coach
I think they changed it after Gasnier's signing in 2010. The Dragons wanted to sign him on $55K which I believe was the minimum payment at the time. Bear in mind this was for half a season. In the end the NRL accepted signing him on $110K which would have equated to $220K/season. The Dragons then came out and won the premiership that year with this bargain player. People cried foul and so this law was modified. It is designed to prevent rorting e.g. if there was no rule in place the Roosters could sign up Cooper on next to nothing. Unfortunately it has put you guys in a bad situation with Folau and I sympathise with that. The league wants him back in the game and he wants to play near his family and with his mates. Fair enough too.

Suitman

Post Whore
I think they changed it after Gasnier's signing in 2010. The Dragons wanted to sign him on $55K which I believe was the minimum payment at the time. Bear in mind this was for half a season. In the end the NRL accepted signing him on $110K which would have equated to $220K/season. The Dragons then came out and won the premiership that year with this bargain player. People cried foul and so this law was modified. It is designed to prevent rorting e.g. if there was no rule in place the Roosters could sign up Cooper on next to nothing. Unfortunately it has put you guys in a bad situation with Folau and I sympathise with that. The league wants him back in the game and he wants to play near his family and with his mates. Fair enough too.

Now, that's a good post.

Suity

Latest posts