What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Overseas dragon

Juniors
sorry mate...you lost me...(I don’t mean to be rude)

the “works both ways part” is all I understood and here’s my 2 cents....

You’re saying we should forgive the bloke and let him play for us?

Folau has said that gay people (who have no choice in the matter) will burn in hell for being gay....

the bloke is not remorseful for what he said either mind you.

but because we need a left centre and he’s a good player then All is forgiven...and we should welcome him back with open arms? Because he has the right to free speech?

no mate...f**k that. That’s not free speech...that’s hate speech...there’s a massive difference.

I don’t want that sort of person who targets other people and saying they will burn in hell anywhere near my club or sport.
Which is your right .your free speech .the saying that comes to my mind would go something like this......people in glass houses ..................if we stopped players for their beliefs we would have nobody playing for our club his only fault was he said it in open company.....thats my 2 bobs worth....

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Your entitled to your view but no where have I said he has to be forgiven by anybody. That also is a freedom of opinion or choice. That is not a requirement for him to sign a contract which IMO is probably a 5% chance anyway of getting approved by the NRL.

I'll be clearer. You talked about hate speech. But what about the hate speech he has copped from whoever?.which again is being recycled because of a news story
Whether you think it is deserved or not. It is OK too?

It’s not ok to abuse anyone mate...the same way it’s not ok to go out and say people who are a certain way because of the way they are born will burn in hell.

may I ask...are you ok with what he has said? It seems to me you are...and you really want him at the club

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Which is your right .your free speech .the saying that comes to my mind would go something like this......people in glass houses ..................if we stopped players for their beliefs we would have nobody playing for our club his only fault was he said it in open company.....thats my 2 bobs worth....

fair enough. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But if your opinion is that you don’t believe certain people should be treated equally as the rest of us...then you should keep your opinions to yourself or amongst your friends...people on here don’t realise the damage his opinion has and can cause.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Your entitled to your view but no where have I said he has to be forgiven by anybody. That also is a freedom of opinion or choice. That is not a requirement for him to sign a contract which IMO is probably a 5% chance anyway of getting approved by the NRL.

I'll be clearer. You talked about hate speech. But what about the hate speech he has copped from whoever?.which again is being recycled because of a news story
Please show us this hate speech against Folau that's being 'recycled because of a news story'.

Thanks in advance.

_Johnsy

Referee
Dragons are the best placed club for Falau because we’ve been dealing with Anthony Mundine for over 20 years we know how to stay tight & ride out controversy.

Since arriving in the United States two weeks ago, Mundine has been shocked by what he says is a misunderstanding of comments he made in October 2001, when he said: "They call it an act of terrorism, but if you can understand religion, and our way of life, it's not about terrorism.Jul 13, 2012.

To the best of my knowledge Muslins aren’t a fan of gays either.
Leave the straw man at the door.
What does the faith or beliefs of Muslims have to do with Folau possibly joining us?

denis preston

First Grade

By the way Abdo was talking yesterday it is going to be seriously looked at.Put themselves in a corner with previous players like Lodge returning to NRL so the "it's ok to accept a convicted thug, partner beaters & drug cheats but not someone who has wacky views " line that they may have to respond to. Dragons have gone about this the right way and perhaps have some legal options that may convince the NRL to allow this with heavy caveats in his contract.

BLM01

First Grade
It’s not ok to abuse anyone mate...the same way it’s not ok to go out and say people who are a certain way because of the way they are born will burn in hell.

may I ask...are you ok with what he has said? It seems to me you are...and you really want him at the club

No I don’t agree with his views but that’s my view and choice
But don’t take it personally and choose to ignore it
If he adds value on the football field I’m okay with the signing. Someone else will be making those decisions that have to be okay with it too.

I have no control or my opinion has no bearing on it . I just want my club to improve its performances on field for the reasons I chose to support it for.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
No I don’t agree with his views but that’s my view and choice
But don’t take it personally and choose to ignore it
If he adds value on the football field I’m okay with the signing. Someone else will be making those decisions that have to be okay with it too.

I have no control or my opinion has no bearing on it . I just want my club to improve its performances on field for the reasons I chose to support it for.

mate...I want my team to improve as well. We’ve all been through some bad years following this club. But I don’t want my team to sign a hate mongering bigot.

I have friends who would pay admission just to see him get belted and hopefully sustain a bad injury.

These are mum and dad types as well, no gaydar, but they know a f**kwit when they see one.

kit66

Bench
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/41893a0340b07b6e334e35c41ca866de
‘Time to find a new team’: NRL fans fume as Wollongong deputy mayor slams Folau move

The media and a bunch of people wanting a little attention will run with this for all it's worth.
I find Folau's comments absurd and offensive. I find it hard to fathom that people believe that stuff but it's what he and many others were bought up with. Didn't most Christian religions take the same stance until very recently when public outcry made them rethink that position and become more tolerant ( at least outwardly ). 70+ million US citizens recently voted for a candidate who outlawed LGBT folk from joining the military. When are we likely to see a female Pope ? Saudi women couldn't drive a car until just a year or so ago. Another bigot was just awarded Australia's highest honour ( well, The British Empire's honour ) with the full support of our Prime Minister.
Religion is slowly coming out of the dark ages, it's only taken a thousand years, so have a little patience.
He said the wrong thing and it was called out and it was made clear that Hate Speech won't be tolerated. If he does it again he'll be sanctioned again, that's it.
If the NRL accept him back into the fold and if our Sponsors approve then he'll be given a shot I guess and I'm sure there'll be a caveat or two on his contract, behave or be gone.

Personally I'd rather he went elsewhere but that's just me. He hasn't broken the law so legally there's nothing to stop him. Morally, well, he needs a little re-education but that's unlikely so hopefully he'll just keep it to himself.

SaintPauli

Juniors
Hmmmm, I agree with the caveat that any public breach of contract with regard to his views is an immediate dismissal.

To be ostracized because of a religous beliefs on a bibles teachings is also wrong.
I agree the lack of compassion and the way portrayed and tone from Israel Falau was wrong.
Yes, there is a better more compassionate sensitive way to respond.

That is an area I believe he is working on and he deserves a go to address how he responds
with compassion in his beliefs.

NRL should allow him to play with proven ways to deal with social media and media as a whole as he will be attacked and drawn in to controversy for ratings !!! as fake news like to do !!!

goldiesaintz

Juniors
After the issues with aligned with JDB, McGregor, Frizzell leaving etc, all l and l'm sure every fan wanted this season is to finally have some team harmony in place, going forward.

With our captain signing elsewhere and now the possibility of signing Folau, l'm starting to think l'm asking too much .............. dam it.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
The media and a bunch of people wanting a little attention will run with this for all it's worth.
I find Folau's comments absurd and offensive. I find it hard to fathom that people believe that stuff but it's what he and many others were bought up with. Didn't most Christian religions take the same stance until very recently when public outcry made them rethink that position and become more tolerant ( at least outwardly ). 70+ million US citizens recently voted for a candidate who outlawed LGBT folk from joining the military. When are we likely to see a female Pope ? Saudi women couldn't drive a car until just a year or so ago. Another bigot was just awarded Australia's highest honour ( well, The British Empire's honour ) with the full support of our Prime Minister.
Religion is slowly coming out of the dark ages, it's only taken a thousand years, so have a little patience.
He said the wrong thing and it was called out and it was made clear that Hate Speech won't be tolerated. If he does it again he'll be sanctioned again, that's it.
If the NRL accept him back into the fold and if our Sponsors approve then he'll be given a shot I guess and I'm sure there'll be a caveat or two on his contract, behave or be gone.

Personally I'd rather he went elsewhere but that's just me. He hasn't broken the law so legally there's nothing to stop him. Morally, well, he needs a little re-education but that's unlikely so hopefully he'll just keep it to himself.

You’re right...the bloke said the wrong thing...and hate speech shouldn’t be tolerated.

the bloke never apologised for what he said either and stands by it.

Our solution to this is to allow him to play footy and not allow him to use social media.

is it just me or is there something really wrong with this solution?

boardlumps62

Juniors

Re-education Christ that sounds like China. He said what he believes as that is what his church is teaching him or he makes his own interpretation. It might be written in a book that he read. This same book might be read by millions and those people my have had the same thing jammed down their throats. If you go to church you are to believe what your minister or priest or imam recites to you from their book. Sometimes if your old enough you might have your own interpretation. I went to Sunday school as a young boy sometimes I didn't I climbed the mulberry tree and sat on the room no amount of pleading got me down. Next week I went along listened then got old and didn't go again. The point is most of us learned life's rules through the church such as :thou shall not steal etc. Folau has just spoken out because that is how he felt and has a platform to do it like a mobile phone Twitter Instagram. He offended some people so we all tell him he should keep his thoughts to himself. Doesn't bother me one bit however Anthony Mundine gets under my skin pushing his agenda and the lads not singing the National Anthem is another thing that has upset some people but we get on with our lives just the same. Only my opinion I'm not telling anyone that's how they should live

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
To be ostracized because of a religous beliefs on a bibles teachings is also wrong.
I agree the lack of compassion and the way portrayed and tone from Israel Falau was wrong.
Yes, there is a better more compassionate sensitive way to respond.

That is an area I believe he is working on and he deserves a go to address how he responds
with compassion in his beliefs.

NRL should allow him to play with proven ways to deal with social media and media as a whole as he will be attacked and drawn in to controversy for ratings !!! as fake news like to do !!!

has he ever apologised for saying a certain group of people are not equal to everyone else and should burn in hell?

no?

then why should the NRL and dragons be compassionate to him?

the bible also says the following.

“You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord,”

so Folau can pick and choose what he wants from the bible and have a tattoo...but people who are born a certain way should burn in hell?

go get farked Folau

boardlumps62

Juniors
Re-education Christ that sounds like China. He said what he believes as that is what his church is teaching him or he makes his own interpretation. It might be written in a book that he read. This same book might be read by millions and those people my have had the same thing jammed down their throats. If you go to church you are to believe what your minister or priest or imam recites to you from their book. Sometimes if your old enough you might have your own interpretation. I went to Sunday school as a young boy sometimes I didn't I climbed the mulberry tree and sat on the room no amount of pleading got me down. Next week I went along listened then got old and didn't go again. The point is most of us learned life's rules through the church such as :thou shall not steal etc. Folau has just spoken out because that is how he felt and has a platform to do it like a mobile phone Twitter Instagram. He offended some people so we all tell him he should keep his thoughts to himself. Doesn't bother me one bit however Anthony Mundine gets under my skin pushing his agenda and the lads not singing the National Anthem is another thing that has upset some people but we get on with our lives just the same. Only my opinion I'm not telling anyone that's how they should live

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade

It probably doesn’t bother you because you’re not gay or don’t know anyone that is gay.