What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dont be surprised. Its no wonder they were deleted.
But you have the time obviously.
You can research yourself there is plenty of hate for Folau..ATM... again
And it will continue if he plays football here again from the stands. It might also have happened in France
Probably the balance is well more in favour of hate comments than any like
You be the judge after you define the word hate and how it should look.
Yeah.... deleted by social media That must have been it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Stranger things have happened..

I went & saw Louie Theroux speak last year & one of his guests was an ex-member of the Westboro baptist church who’d previously done the evil work that they do..

Hearing her speak & what it was like to have left their spell was impressive
I saw the first episode about the westboro hate mob. Pretty crazy stuff. Lucky for us none of them could play Rugby League.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I saw the first episode about the westboro hate mob. Pretty crazy stuff. Lucky for us none of them could play Rugby League.
Dunno, some of those folk would make formidable front rowers...

Not sure about the fitness though..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Again the minority come out winners. Remember Wendell Sailor did everyone think that was a good thing when the Dragons signed him. Packer well we got him out of prison to come play with us.
I would have tolerated Issy in our team. That of course is my opinion and there should be no reaction against what I think because I haven't told anyone what I think you can only presume.
Ships sail we will find another.
I think you'll find the majority were against the signing of Folau.

You shouldn't worry about what people think of your opinion.

kit66

Bench
Dragons abandon pursuit of Folau after extraordinary general meeting
Michael Chammas and Adrian Proszenko
February 3, 2021 — 7.29pm

Leave a comment

St George Illawarra have abandoned their pursuit of Israel Folau following an extraordinary general meeting on Wednesday night.

Club powerbrokers gathered late Wednesday to discuss the fallout from the Folau revelations published in the Herald on Tuesday, opting not to proceed with preliminary discussions to sign the 31-year-old this season on a two-year, $1 million deal.

7262994cf39487e4e59df615710bd1556a209c7e

The St George Illawarra Dragons have pulled out of the pursuit for Israel Folau.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES

Sources with knowledge of discussions said some at the Dragons began having second thoughts following backlash from the Herald’s revelations on Tuesday that the club had lodged an inquiry with the NRL about procuring the controversial code-hopper.

It was only a month ago the Dragons board unanimously supported the idea of enquiring with the NRL. The Dragons and NRL headquarters have been bombarded with fan feedback over the past two days, leaving some club officials questioning whether they should persevere with plans to try and get Folau out of his deal with Catalans Dragons.

Advertisement
The Dragons had been awaiting direction from head office in regards to the steps they need to take if they decide to submit a contract for registration. It became clear to the club that process would be too arduous and not worth the potential damage to the Dragons brand if they continued to fight for Folau.

The Dragons board meeting came on the eve of Thursday’s ARL Commission meeting, at which Folau’s future was meant to be a topic on the agenda.

a8b9dbfedfebd1968b2e2cc5acefc4e831e0bf98

Israel Folau returned home from Catalans to be closer to his sick mother-in-law. CREDIT:AP

It is unlikely Folau will have much support on the ARL Commission if he chooses to pursue an alternative option at another NRL club, however the game’s leaders are adamant the 31-year-old’s application will be considered if a club provides the necessary paperwork.

What that paperwork needed to include was meant to be decided at Thursday’s commission meeting, with Folau likely to have had to meet with chairman Peter V’landys and chief executive Andrew Abdo as part of the process.

Folau had been in contact with Catalans during the past 24 hours to allay the Super League club’s concerns that they have been lied to by their star centre, who has asked for a release from his final year at the club on compassionate grounds to remain in Australia to be with his sick mother-in-law.

Catalans could have demanded a transfer fee, believed to be worth about $200,000, before granting him a release. The Dragons left aside close to $400,000 in this year’s salary cap as part of a two-year, $1 million proposal for the former Melbourne and Brisbane centre.

Earlier on Wednesday, Blues coach Brad Fittler joked about having Folau return to the NRL and represent NSW, where he was born, instead of playing for Queensland in this year’s State of Origin series.

RELATED ARTICLE

Analysis
NRL 2021

Inside Dragons’ bid to sign Folau – and why the NRL is considering it
“I like watching Israel Folau play footy,” Fittler said. “I don’t necessarily listen to anything he says because I don’t have social media and I am not over any of that.

“It is going to be up to the game to decide if he can play and I hope he can because I like watching him play. The couple of times I saw him play he looked as good as ever. I think he will make an impact straight away.”

He'll just end up at the Roosters or Melbourne.

I'm not fussed because I don't support Folau in any way but I don't like seeing Social Media bullies win either, it's just another undesirable outcome.

The_Frog

First Grade
Never thought I'd see the Dragon slink off with its tail between its legs like this. The Dragons of Catalans stared it down.

Gareth67

First Grade
Not surprising really after so many comments from all and sundry ( not forum members ) but from the general public . At least now all the hoo-haa will stop and the Dragons can make a play for a quality player - at the very least sign one for the beginning of season 2022 ala Brandon Smith or Angus Crichton.

Nevertheless an embarrassing episode for the new coach and administration , hopefully next time they will put their ‘ thinking caps ‘ on securely before embarking on another hair brain scheme - hopefully .

redv13

Bench
From the coach, to the CEO, to the board... how could so many people in power of this great club actually think this was a good idea??? The damage caused over the last 36 hours to our brand and the mighty jersey is unbelievable. Absolute morons to think this would have ended well. Very unlike StGeorge to pull this crap

kit66

Bench
You really think Roosters or Storm would damage their brands like Dragons were ready to do? Not a chance, they are professionally run organisations.

I guess not, especially when they have Paps and Teddy. Just a bit of an angry reaction from me, pay it no mind.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m thinking tomorrow I’m going to tell Mrs muzby I’m going to have an affair.

Then on Friday I’ll tell her I’ve reconsidered & won’t be going ahead.

Nothing bad will come from that, will it?

Afterall, nothing bad was actually done..

Saint Scott

Juniors
Bit left field but do you think the club did this so that we would not all be going off about our captain leaving, to me very strange it all came out on the same day

Brutalitops

Juniors
Bit left field but do you think the club did this so that we would not all be going off about our captain leaving, to me very strange it all came out on the same day
Doubt it, because in my opinion the club were caught completely off guard by the Cam thing and really thought they were in a position to keep him waiting. A real pants down moment

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I’m thinking tomorrow I’m going to tell Mrs muzby I’m going to have an affair.

Then on Friday I’ll tell her I’ve reconsidered & won’t be going ahead.

Nothing bad will come from that, will it?

Afterall, nothing bad was actually done..
Depends on the people.

Are you coach Anthony Griffin, is Mrs Muzby actually Zac Lomax, and is your 'close friend' Israel Folau?

If so, standby for the next drama. I think we're in for a rocky ride.