What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Didn't Hitler play for the Storm??

I get why people are put off, I do. As I said if we all spoke our minds about touchy subjects and all the players did no one would sign anywhere. He spoke his mind, other players in the NRL agree with his views but they don't broadcast it. If he stops broadcasting and the NRL give the green light then yes, let's take the two-time John Eales winning player and get him scoring us some points.

If you haven't noticed we an absolute rabble of a club as it stands.

Hitler is the Storm’s accountant.

yeah we are a rabble. Doesn’t make it right to sign a bloke who spreads hate. We’re basically rewarding a bigot.

with so many gun players out there that were available, what the hell are St George doing looking at this dickhead?

we are a deadset rabble of a club.

Juniors
A tight contract and the experience that he went through should sort it out.

I think it is true that Folau's views are not unique to him within the ranks of the NRL, and I think there are many unsavoury characters playing the game at that level.

This is a complex issue, no doubt.
Adapts to the rigours of the game. The rest of it is just internet hysteria

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Let's not sign him because his views don't align to yours? or let's not sign him because he incites hatred?

My views are not the same as his. I see him as someone whose intentions were to do what he thinks is right in the Eyes of God, as much as we might not agree... it wasn't illegal and it wasn't in the same ball park as Donald Trump calling for a riot.

If the NRL says he can play then he is welcome at the Dragons for mine.

saying that all homosexuals should burn in hell is pretty much up there mate

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Let's not sign him because his views don't align to yours? or let's not sign him because he incites hatred?

My views are not the same as his. I see him as someone whose intentions were to do what he thinks is right in the Eyes of God, as much as we might not agree... it wasn't illegal and it wasn't in the same ball park as Donald Trump calling for a riot.

If the NRL says he can play then he is welcome at the Dragons for mine.
Because he incites hatred and division.

Putting that aside, the jury is stil out on his ability to play at NRL level. There's a handful of posters here who see him as some sort of saviour... which I suspect goes agsinst his beliefs (although he may allow you to idolise him).

Bottom line: He hasn't played in the NRL for 10 years .

No doubt he played well in the ESL and Rugby Union. But that means little.

Plus, where do we play him? We already have a right centre and fullback with NRL credentials. Lomax is knocking on the door of NSW selection, while Folau is at the backend of his career.

Nup, he's not worth all this fuss.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yes, most Muslims would share his opinion. No, the majority of Christians wouldn't, although many would. My "stance" is simply that many people share his opinions and/or beliefs and there are probably a lot of them that already play NRL. It seems his crime was to make his opinion public, combined with his high profile, and of course having an opinion and/or beliefs that a lot of people disagree with.
That's just a lot of whataboutery.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Wait...what’s the “there is no racism in football” comment?
Griffin said: "I don't think there is racism in rugby league. In all my years involved in the game at all levels, I've never come across it."

Link: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/anthon...y-invite/7ea816c0-ff6f-442c-afc9-a3b3a62238c4

It surfaced around the time of Tingha coming out to say that he experienced racism at Saints. On NITV's Black Dot show, Widders and Tahu unloaded on Griffin, they were fairly pissed off with his denialism.

There was some forum discussion about it here: https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/sack-griffin.481605/page-8

Steve Renouf did an interview where he expressed hope that Griffin would gain a greater understanding of the issues with some lessons in cultural awareness, here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11...ll-give-griffin-greater-understanding-renouf/

TruSaint

Referee
Griffin said: "I don't think there is racism in rugby league. In all my years involved in the game at all levels, I've never come across it."

Link: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/anthon...y-invite/7ea816c0-ff6f-442c-afc9-a3b3a62238c4

It surfaced around the time of Tingha coming out to say that he experienced racism at Saints. On NITV's Black Dot show, Widders and Tahu unloaded on Griffin, they were fairly pissed off with his denialism.

There was some forum discussion about it here: https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/sack-griffin.481605/page-8

Steve Renouf did an interview where he expressed hope that Griffin would gain a greater understanding of the issues with some lessons in cultural awareness, here: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/11...ll-give-griffin-greater-understanding-renouf/

Great post. Hook's views in general were debated on this very forum at the time of his pending announcement.

He then blamed his daughter for his social media posts.

Indigenous stars want a word with Griffin

Former Dragons star Nathan Blacklock says he would be uncomfortable playing under new coach Anthony Griffin after he liked controversial tweets questioning the politicisation of Indigenous Round and other race issues.

Blacklock’s stance comes the week after he revealed in this column that he quit the Dragons due to racism he witnessed during his time at the club. And his views have received support from two of the game’s most respected leaders, Indigenous All Stars founder Preston Campbell and this year’s captain Joel Thompson.

d12ad54ef9e05084cc09f1f6643c8f290a0054ba

New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s controversial views don’t sit well with Nathan Blacklock, Joel Thompson and Preston Campbell.CREDIT:GETTY

Both say Griffin would benefit from a conversation with them and current Indigenous All Stars coach Laurie Daley.

Griffin’s social media was shut down in the week leading up to his interview for the Dragons job after the media started to notice some of his controversial "likes". He liked two controversial tweets by NSW One Nation MP Mark Latham.

"NRL Indigenous round used to celebrate the greats like [Arthur] Beetson," Latham wrote on Twitter and Griffin liked. "Now it’s one big whinge along the lines of: White European culture is so bad I can’t sing the National Anthem. But the white European culture of this imported footy game is so good I’m pocketing the $700k per season."

Latham also posted: "Peter V’landys has sent out a search party looking for racism in rugby league. All they have found so far is his banning of Islander Christian Israel Folau." Griffin also liked that post.

While Thompson said he was "disappointed" with Griffin’s attitude to Indigenous Round, Blacklock went further.

"I’m not saying Anthony is a racist – that’s not my message – but would I feel comfortable playing under him after seeing his political view and hearing about his view on the Indigenous game? No, I would not," Blacklock said. "Look, I’ve got nothing against Anthony Griffin, but I’d feel uncomfortable about playing for someone if they had those views. I actually have met Griffin and he is a good fella to talk to and would do an excellent job [at the Dragons]. I just don’t agree with what his views are away from football."

48687ea4fdb4c65d22bfe2b5464195453a4f4b05

Nathan Blacklock says he would feel uncomfortable playing under a coach with Anthony Griffin's views.CREDIT:GETTY

Thompson said he would like to speak to Griffin.

"His attitude is disappointing ... if I was playing at his team, I’d want to sit down and chat with him to hear why he felt that way. I know we all make mistakes and I’d like to know if he regretted what he liked, because I know we all make mistakes. I know that when you have a coach like I had with Des [Hasler at Manly], who is on the same page as you in issues like this, then you will go out on the field and want to spill blood for him.

"I think Anthony would benefit if Laurie invited him into the [All Stars] camp next year to see what the Indigenous game means to us. It’s a game for everyone. It’s about bringing us together and hope."

Campbell also said he’d like to sit down with Griffin and even Latham to discuss Indigenous issues.

"I’d play under Anthony and I’ve played under people who have all sorts of views," Campbell said. "You don’t always get that choice in life. You sometimes can listen to a point of view and then you can try and reason with a person. What Anthony likes and says is his right. I respect that. Only he can control that. Everyone has a different outlook and different values.

'I’ve got nothing against Anthony Griffin, but I’d feel uncomfortable about playing for someone if they had those views.'

Nathan Blacklock
"If he thinks we are being political then that’s his view. If bringing a voice to issues like racism, domestic violence and same-sex relationships is political, then it is. I’ve been told about the tweets Anthony liked and I’d like to hear from him why feels that way.

"We may be raising awareness and starting conversations. That’s a good thing, if you ask me. I could never be outspoken like Anthony Mundine was back in the day. But if he said the same things now about the flag and anthem as he said then, he’d have a lot more support.

"If we start people thinking or provide inspiration, then that’s a good thing. We acknowledge the past and part of the way we are doing that is providing a future for the next generation of players who will be able to make a difference."

Griffin did not respond to requests for comment but told this column last week his social media was operated by his daughter.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/indigenous-stars-want-a-word-with-griffin-20200912-p55v1t.html

Gareth67

First Grade
Well Catalan Dragons have now thrown a bluudy big spanner in the works by requesting a $200k transfer fee or compensation for Izzy’s departure .

Quite sure that will be the end of him coming to the Joint Venture - unless he pays it himself and there’s Buckley’s chance of that happening .

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No the stoning barbs have been removed.
So, after a day of you being asked, it turns out you have nothing to back up your claim that Folau is a victim of hate speech. Why am I not surprised.

Gareth67

First Grade
Great post. Hook's views in general were debated on this very forum at the time of his pending announcement.

He then blamed his daughter for his social media posts.

Indigenous stars want a word with Griffin

Former Dragons star Nathan Blacklock says he would be uncomfortable playing under new coach Anthony Griffin after he liked controversial tweets questioning the politicisation of Indigenous Round and other race issues.

Blacklock’s stance comes the week after he revealed in this column that he quit the Dragons due to racism he witnessed during his time at the club. And his views have received support from two of the game’s most respected leaders, Indigenous All Stars founder Preston Campbell and this year’s captain Joel Thompson.

d12ad54ef9e05084cc09f1f6643c8f290a0054ba

New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin’s controversial views don’t sit well with Nathan Blacklock, Joel Thompson and Preston Campbell.CREDIT:GETTY

Both say Griffin would benefit from a conversation with them and current Indigenous All Stars coach Laurie Daley.

Griffin’s social media was shut down in the week leading up to his interview for the Dragons job after the media started to notice some of his controversial "likes". He liked two controversial tweets by NSW One Nation MP Mark Latham.

"NRL Indigenous round used to celebrate the greats like [Arthur] Beetson," Latham wrote on Twitter and Griffin liked. "Now it’s one big whinge along the lines of: White European culture is so bad I can’t sing the National Anthem. But the white European culture of this imported footy game is so good I’m pocketing the $700k per season."

Latham also posted: "Peter V’landys has sent out a search party looking for racism in rugby league. All they have found so far is his banning of Islander Christian Israel Folau." Griffin also liked that post.

While Thompson said he was "disappointed" with Griffin’s attitude to Indigenous Round, Blacklock went further.

"I’m not saying Anthony is a racist – that’s not my message – but would I feel comfortable playing under him after seeing his political view and hearing about his view on the Indigenous game? No, I would not," Blacklock said. "Look, I’ve got nothing against Anthony Griffin, but I’d feel uncomfortable about playing for someone if they had those views. I actually have met Griffin and he is a good fella to talk to and would do an excellent job [at the Dragons]. I just don’t agree with what his views are away from football."

48687ea4fdb4c65d22bfe2b5464195453a4f4b05

Nathan Blacklock says he would feel uncomfortable playing under a coach with Anthony Griffin's views.CREDIT:GETTY

Thompson said he would like to speak to Griffin.

"His attitude is disappointing ... if I was playing at his team, I’d want to sit down and chat with him to hear why he felt that way. I know we all make mistakes and I’d like to know if he regretted what he liked, because I know we all make mistakes. I know that when you have a coach like I had with Des [Hasler at Manly], who is on the same page as you in issues like this, then you will go out on the field and want to spill blood for him.

"I think Anthony would benefit if Laurie invited him into the [All Stars] camp next year to see what the Indigenous game means to us. It’s a game for everyone. It’s about bringing us together and hope."

Campbell also said he’d like to sit down with Griffin and even Latham to discuss Indigenous issues.

"I’d play under Anthony and I’ve played under people who have all sorts of views," Campbell said. "You don’t always get that choice in life. You sometimes can listen to a point of view and then you can try and reason with a person. What Anthony likes and says is his right. I respect that. Only he can control that. Everyone has a different outlook and different values.

'I’ve got nothing against Anthony Griffin, but I’d feel uncomfortable about playing for someone if they had those views.'

Nathan Blacklock
"If he thinks we are being political then that’s his view. If bringing a voice to issues like racism, domestic violence and same-sex relationships is political, then it is. I’ve been told about the tweets Anthony liked and I’d like to hear from him why feels that way.

"We may be raising awareness and starting conversations. That’s a good thing, if you ask me. I could never be outspoken like Anthony Mundine was back in the day. But if he said the same things now about the flag and anthem as he said then, he’d have a lot more support.

"If we start people thinking or provide inspiration, then that’s a good thing. We acknowledge the past and part of the way we are doing that is providing a future for the next generation of players who will be able to make a difference."

Griffin did not respond to requests for comment but told this column last week his social media was operated by his daughter.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/indigenous-stars-want-a-word-with-griffin-20200912-p55v1t.html

It doesn’t rain it pours down our way and all of this after such a quite off-season .

SMH seem to be going out of their way to dig up any and all spicy pieces articles concerning our man Griffin .

TruSaint

Referee
It doesn’t rain it pours down our way and all of this after such a quite off-season .

SMH seem to be going out of their way to dig up any and all spicy pieces articles concerning our man Griffin .

To be fair mate, that article was Sep 2020.

Crush

Coach
Well Catalan Dragons have now thrown a bluudy big spanner in the works by requesting a $200k transfer fee or compensation for Izzy’s departure .

Quite sure that will be the end of him coming to the Joint Venture - unless he pays it himself and there’s Buckley’s chance of that happening .
One can only hope this low life piece of shit never ever comes anywhere near our club.