What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau

Splinters

Juniors
Interesting but somewhat confusingly contradictory news from Victoria:

1. Government outlaws conversion therapy ( a non-violent. surgery-and-drug-free therapy) where it causes "injury" or "serious injury" (physical or mental) with penalties of up to 10 years in prison and fines of $200,000.

Note that this law is called the "Conversion or Suppression Practices Act"

This law applies to psychiatrists, psychotherapists, religious people, body corporates, and family members. In other words, no one is permitted to help you if you are in a state of gender dysphoria.

Why not? Not even kind words and sympathy?

2. At the very same time, at this Victorian government site, the oh-so-wise government explains sexuality to all of us dummies. Apparently it can change over time.
https://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/health/healthyliving/Sexuality-explained

It explains
  • Sexuality is diverse, and there are many different types. It can take time to figure out the sexuality that fits you best. And your sexuality can change over time.
So sexuality can change over time but you may not counsel anyone about that?

Odd.

3. Now, I don't know what the situation is in Victoria, but it may be out of step with Queensland where:

A 13-year-old transgender child can be given puberty blocking medical treatment without the consent of her father, according to a landmark Queensland court ruling. The decision would overrule a previous determination that both parents must give consent for such a treatment to occur. The mother of the child, who cannot be named for legal reasons, applied to Queensland’s Supreme Court to urgently access the treatment.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/heal...ocking-medicine-by-queensland-court-c-1962174

So in Queensland sex-change therapy using drugs and surgery is approved for minors.

But in Victoria you'll get ten years in prison for offering someone advice about his or her dissatisfaction about his or her sexual feelings.

I might note here that typically, with time, feelings of gender dysphoria will abate. And I should also note that more than 40% of people who undergo transgender surgeries ultimately commit suicide.

MY CONCLUSION:

The standard of public discussion of these issues - the contradictions and hypocrisies - is insane and we are now living in a 100% clown world.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
You are unable to muster a competent reply.

You can't even muster your usual gamma-ish, narcissistic, passive aggressive snark.

Times are tough for you, champ.
My apologies..

I remove any due respect.

You’re a f**kwit.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Musby you dropped the ball back to Reggie's for you.
We should have signed him f**k the non-conforming sponsors.
Gotta have balls in this sport.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Musby you dropped the ball back to Reggie's for you.
We should have signed him f**k the non-conforming sponsors.
Gotta have balls in this sport.
What exactly do I have to do with us signing him or not?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Musby old mate I was hoping the thread would continue then maybe there would be change of heart from NRL and Sponsors allowing us to sign Issy. Then we might have God on our side. God only knows we need all the help we can get.
Sorry for disturbing you.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Musby old mate I was hoping the thread would continue then maybe there would be change of heart from NRL and Sponsors allowing us to sign Issy. Then we might have God on our side. God only knows we need all the help we can get.
Sorry for disturbing you.
Assuming there is a god, what makes you think she agrees with Folau?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Thanks for the post Mickeylane; really no great surprises here though. Assumed that was how it was played out all along.

Old Timer

Coach
This should clear things up a bit about the Folau handling by the CEO and board as reported by the clubs major sponsor.. the NRL has a lot to answer for https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-folau-says-club-sponsor-20210213-p5728z.html
Well done mickey and is very similar to an earlier post I made re the actions of the NRL in this matter.

They always wanted to know the public reaction about IF but were far too frightened to do anything themselves and knowingly lured us into their spiderweb.

Despicable behaviour on their part and naive on ours.

Wayne's World

First Grade
Well done mickey and is very similar to an earlier post I made re the actions of the NRL in this matter.

They always wanted to know the public reaction about IF but were far too frightened to do anything themselves and knowingly lured us into their spiderweb.

Despicable behaviour on their part and naive on ours.

It's quite pathetic people reacted like they did

BLM01

First Grade
This should clear things up a bit about the Folau handling by the CEO and board as reported by the clubs major sponsor.. the NRL has a lot to answer for https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...-folau-says-club-sponsor-20210213-p5728z.html

Whilst I agree with all this it does not take away the fact that the Dragons, Trip A Deal (or any sponsor happy with the signing) and even Hook asking (regardless of the NRL giving them a green light) had to see it for themselves (brave or not) that their would be huge backlashes from certain fans and supporters. most media outlets and PC brigades.
Deflecting blame to the NRL is admirable by a major sponsor who lets face it is only sticking up for the club because the negative press affects his company and investment in providing some balance to the argument.
Running a club is not about winning a popularity contest but you need members, supporters and mostly and unfortunately the way of the world...the MEDIA are the ones that can make or break you.

HenryTatana

Juniors
Would sombody please past the text as I am not a subscriber.
NRL hung Dragons out to dry on Folau, says club sponsor
Danny Weidler
February 14, 2021 — 12.05am

View all comments

St George Illawarra sponsor Norm Black has come out swinging at the NRL for its treatment of the Dragons in their failed attempt to bring Israel Folau to the club, saying the game’s bosses led them “down the garden path”.

The Dragons sounded out the NRL about signing Folau, but withdrew their bid just days later following significant backlash.

662672cc8ad21ac38ae8d753ea3c31001f4b1ca5

The Dragons’ attempt to bring Israel Folau back to the NRL fell flat.CREDIT:GETTY

Black, the founder of travel company TripADeal, has also leapt to the defence of Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb, who has been roasted for his role in what turned out to be a highly embarrassing episode for the club.

“The first thing that needs to be said is that anyone who thinks for a moment that the Dragons acted in a reckless or thoughtless manner when it came to looking at Folau ... well, they have rocks in their head,” he said.

Advertisement
“Do you think they didn’t consult me or consult other sponsors long before this became a public stitch-up of the club and the CEO? The board was across all of this. I think they met twice and it was discussed with them. So Ryan isn’t some kind of cowboy.

“But here is where I have an issue: I think the club was poorly treated and positioned by the NRL. They gave the club the rope and then they quietly hung us. There was never a firm no from the NRL ... instead they allowed us to explore it and led us down the garden path.

“They allowed the club to look rash and stupid, and the reason they didn’t cut it off straight away is because the NRL knows they would have had to face a court case. They knew there was a restraint of trade or something similar at risk facing them.

‘They [NRL] outsmarted the club in their mind, but do they consider the damage they did to the club in the process of making themselves looking smart or without fault?’

Norm Black
“They outsmarted the club in their mind, but do they consider the damage they did to the club in the process of making themselves looking smart or without fault? The damage to sponsors of the Dragons or to the boss of the club? I don’t think they did.”

Advertisement
Black says Webb deserves praise.

“Ryan has been hammered, but I actually think he showed balls of steel,” Black said. “When the coach came to him and said he wanted Folau he could have knocked it on the head but he did his job and explored the idea and he has to be congratulated for that. You need to remember that Folau has already played professional sport since what happened in rugby, so it was worth exploring.

“There are very few people who would support his stance [on homosexuality], but he was willing to co-operate and you try and tell me that league is not a game that gives blokes another chance. Idon’t think I need to start listing players who have had a second or third chance.

Current Time 0:15
/
Duration 2:36
Loaded: 70.25%

2:29

Tampa Bay win 2021 Super Bowl

“I know Folau had no desire to do the wrong thing or rock the boat. Assurances were given. Maybe it would have been good to educate him about the impact of what has happened rather than hide him away.

Advertisement
“I’m not sticking up for Folau – I have no reason to do that – but I am sticking up for the club and the way the club was treated has left me pretty upset.”

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Whilst I agree with all this it does not take away the fact that the Dragons, Trip A Deal (or any sponsor happy with the signing) and even Hook asking (regardless of the NRL giving them a green light) had to see it for themselves (brave or not) that their would be huge backlashes from certain fans and supporters. most media outlets and PC brigades.
Deflecting blame to the NRL is admirable by a major sponsor who lets face it is only sticking up for the club because the negative press affects his company and investment in providing some balance to the argument.
Running a club is not about winning a popularity contest but you need members, supporters and mostly and unfortunately the way of the world...the MEDIA are the ones that can make or break you.
Yup..

Even if the NRL had sanctioned the move, it wouldn’t stop people from disliking it..

Dorsai

Juniors

It does say a lot about this NRL though. They, like a lot of other "products" now sway in the wind based on what the media give them.

It was interesting reading the "public backlash" one of the media outlets reported. In fact a few of the comments came from this forum and some from twitter. Instead though of providing the actual backlash, they chose only to publish the negative. There was not a single positive "just let him play" comment. That was because it did not suit their agenda / barrow.

Lots of things in life will polarize views. We live, we learn, and we overcome. That's what we do. If he came, yeah it would have put some supporters off. He is not coming, yeah, that probably disappointing others just because they looked at the playing skills.

At the end of the day we respect each others opinions and move on. The media however are the ones we should be getting mad at. Not each other. Their headlines, and reporting bias and designed to segregate and cause divide. News is not news anymore. News is opinion based on which way the outlet leans.

Yeah Norm Black is probably protecting his company image a bit, but how often has the NRL screwed clubs over without batting an eyelid?