What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Footy Legends movie out tomorrow

Jasestorm

Juniors
Surandy said:
You were at the advanced screening at Highpoint?

I was there with MikeTheUndertaker.

Yeah mate, my wife and I went courtesy of the Storm. We really enjoyed it.

Once Dead

Bench
Hellsy said:
I loved the Grandpa and his roommate getting on the bike and riding to the stadium... and the roommate was in his PJ's :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sut up, Bop! Sut up, mate!

Surandy

Bench
Hellsy said:
I loved the Grandpa and his roommate getting on the bike and riding to the stadium... and the roommate was in his PJ's :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a bike? He should have taken the Kingswood! Or had the bloody Mediterranean Descendant taken it? ;-) Just showing my age. ;-)

Hellsy

Immortal
But they are in a nursing home :LOL: :LOL: and he is a little old Chinese man :LOL: :LOL:

Paullyboy

Coach
I can only imagine people who claim to like this movie are saying so on the basis that its a movie with rugby league in it.

Seriously, I love Aussie movies (Crackerjack, Black Rock etc.) but this was an abomination. The script was appalling. They had a brilliant stand up comedian in the main role, and he had no funny lines whatsoever. The storyline was as predictable as it was tedious and the pauses in dialogue were just average.

It reminds me a lot of the rugby league comptuer game, everyone raved about how good it was - but in reality it was absolutely piss poor in comparison to other options on the market.

Bezant

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
I can only imagine people who claim to like this movie are saying so on the basis that its a movie with rugby league in it.

Seriously, I love Aussie movies (Crackerjack, Black Rock etc.) but this was an abomination. The script was appalling. They had a brilliant stand up comedian in the main role, and he had no funny lines whatsoever. The storyline was as predictable as it was tedious and the pauses in dialogue were just average.

It reminds me a lot of the rugby league comptuer game, everyone raved about how good it was - but in reality it was absolutely piss poor in comparison to other options on the market.

Sorry mate must disagree with you there.

I thought that the movie did a good job of getting you to empathise with the situations that the characters found themselves in. Sure it was full of cliches but it was trying to take the piss on Australian culture while still getting the message across that if you are true to yourself and have a go things can happen...the aussie battler lives on...just in a vietnamese form. Also it was a positive movie that shed a positive light on Rugby League, showed asian-australians enjoying Rugby League (which seems to be rare and should be encouraged) and also showed how sport (Rugby League in particular) can transcend race and socio-economics.

Sure it was not a serious expose or deep critic of the plight of Australia's urban poor...but hey isn't rugby league supposed to be a simple game enjoyed by simple people...even though the group of 8 that I saw the movie with, who have 12 uni degrees or above between them, still managed to enjoy the simplicity of the story.

How about enjoying it for what it is...a simlpe light-hearted but enjoyable story. Here's to enjoying the simple things in life....:)

Being a huge fan of such movies like the karate kid & kid with the 200 iq.

This sounds so B grade I cannot help but see it this w/end!

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah, if you go in with the 'its so bad its good' philosophy you will enjoy it. If you are looking for a genuinely good movie - I personally dont think this is for you (unless you are a die hard RL fan who would pay money to see anything involving the sport irregardless of what it is).

Hellsy

Immortal
Bezant said:
Sorry mate must disagree with you there.

I thought that the movie did a good job of getting you to empathise with the situations that the characters found themselves in. Sure it was full of cliches but it was trying to take the piss on Australian culture while still getting the message across that if you are true to yourself and have a go things can happen...the aussie battler lives on...just in a vietnamese form. Also it was a positive movie that shed a positive light on Rugby League, showed asian-australians enjoying Rugby League (which seems to be rare and should be encouraged) and also showed how sport (Rugby League in particular) can transcend race and socio-economics.

Sure it was not a serious expose or deep critic of the plight of Australia's urban poor...but hey isn't rugby league supposed to be a simple game enjoyed by simple people...even though the group of 8 that I saw the movie with, who have 12 uni degrees or above between them, still managed to enjoy the simplicity of the story.

How about enjoying it for what it is...a simlpe light-hearted but enjoyable story. Here's to enjoying the simple things in life....:)

I completely agree!!!!!

Moffo

Referee
the tart on the sbs movie show gave it 4.5 stars tonight. its really that good is it? ill have to get out and watch it...

wonder how its gone at the box office?

An41

Juniors
Moffo said:
the tart on the sbs movie show gave it 4.5 stars tonight. its really that good is it? ill have to get out and watch it...

wonder how its gone at the box office?
I think they were talking about his independent film "the finished people"

Willow

Assistant Moderator
roopy said:
I think it will go better in the non RL states, because the footy scenes are pretty poor. 7 really unfit looking actors who actually pulled off the 'bogan' look really well - but didn't at all convince as footy players.

Apart from the footy scenes, it was a fair movie.
Saw it yesterday and I know what you mean, except that they did a good job of taking the piss out of themselves. Footy Legends won't reach any iconic class of movies like The Castle, but it will hold its own.

Unless you're able to suspend belief, then its best to steer clear of Footy Legends. Its not a movie for cynics. But its a good movie for people who like a well travelled yarn and can tell a pisstake when it presents itself. I enjoyed it a lot.

Moffo

Referee
could be mate, i only caught the end of it so i may have got crossed wires

Once Dead

Bench
Paullyboy said:

Don't treat it like its something more than it claims to be.....go in there, no expectations of an Australian blockbuster....just enjoy it for the simple movie it is and you'll know why people like myself like it.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Paullyboy said:

exactly, how many people on this forum would say they liked it just as much if it was the same story, only yawnion.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I would have liked it just as much. Already said the footy scenes require you to suspend belief. They were playing Sevens anyway.

Have you seen the movie Savage?

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Willow said:
I would have liked it just as much. Already said the footy scenes require you to suspend belief. They were playing Sevens anyway.

Have you seen the movie Savage?

yup, i saw a preview screening

as i posted back at the time, i thought it was only ok because it was a league movie and another example of crappy aussie movies that are so predictable