What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For any who bag the RLWC......

Noa

First Grade
.....please go stick your hands in a very hot deep-fryer so we dont have to read your inane dribble.

Sure the it might not be the most competitive tournament, though I think NZ or England will both learn alot from the lessons they received, but from little things big things grow.

Take a look at basketball, for decades the USA dominated and games were uncompetitve but they persisted and now look at how even the top countries in the world are.

Rugby league needs to persist and not listen to the type of people who pour vinegar on there wheat-bix and 20 years from now we shall reap the rewards.

adamkungl

Immortal
Its not over yet...A few less silly penalties from England could have seen a very different story. At least wait til the thing is over before we all hang ourselves....

thommo4pm

Coach
There is nothing to bag out about the World Cup.
There is more to International Rugby League then just the big 3, or even just Australia.

Australia are far and away the best, and I'm as proud as anything of them.
However look at the joy and excitement the other players from the other countries are getting.
The World Cup is about the other nations also....coming to play on the big stage and play at facilities they might otherwise only dream of....play in front of crowds they haven't before, play in front of people who have never heard of them before.

The result may well fall Australia's way, but it's the growth of the game is what matters, and the emerging nations would be loving the tournament.

Mr Manly

Juniors
.....please go stick your hands in a very hot deep-fryer so we dont have to read your inane dribble.

Sure the it might not be the most competitive tournament, though I think NZ or England will both learn alot from the lessons they received, but from little things big things grow.

Take a look at basketball, for decades the USA dominated and games were uncompetitve but they persisted and now look at how even the top countries in the world are.

Rugby league needs to persist and not listen to the type of people who pour vinegar on there wheat-bix and 20 years from now we shall reap the rewards.

i just burnt my hand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The WC has been brilliant! Take out the Australian games and every game has been passionate, tough and entertaining. Australia are just a long way ahead of the field. We should be proud of that and live with the fact that it means they will dominate the games they play, but not let it get in the way of enjoying the feast of international Rl that is being served up for us.

8Ball

First Grade
The world cup hasn't been that bad. Australia far and away the best, yes. But i think the gap between 3rd and 10th is a lot closer than we all thought. Thats a huge positive and definitely something to build on.

roopy

Referee
The real positive is that every country has a chance to improve out of sight in 5 years except maybe the big three, who probably won't change much. Added to that, Wales, Lebanon, Russia and USA will all also be massive improvers.

I can't see a challenge coming for Aus from anywhere, but i can already say that the next WC will be bigger and a much higher standard than this one. Massively so.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
The real positive is that every country has a chance to improve out of sight in 5 years except maybe the big three, who probably won't change much. Added to that, Wales, Lebanon, Russia and USA will all also be massive improvers.

I can't see a challenge coming for Aus from anywhere, but i can already say that the next WC will be bigger and a much higher standard than this one. Massively so.

Forgive me is I sound cynical but isn't that what is said after each world cup ?

roopy

Referee
Forgive me is I sound cynical but isn't that what is said after each world cup ?
This is only the second one with this type of multi-team format.
They said teams would get massively better after the last one - and they have.
I say they will get massively better after this one - and they will.

Let me tell you why.
PNG will get better because the country is getting richer and has had a semi-pro league for 3 years now. The quality is getting better every season.
The PI countries will get better because 60% of kids in the junior rep sides are of PI hereitage (a number that grows every year), and because local leagues have grown significantly before this WC, and will grow again after this WC.
France will improve because they haven't yet reached the level they will reach from having Les Cats in ESL, and having Toulouse in NL1 and hopefully SL before 2013.
Ireland and Scotland have growing local comps and will continue the steady improvement.
Wales has a rapidly growing comp and a brand new ESL franchise.

USA and Russia just need to continue with their steady growth.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
All the tournament needs is a decent match in the grand-final for it to be a great success imo

Rugby league has proven that the early stages of a World Cup can be full of good games where it isn't just a "big" team beating a minnow 100-0. I know this isn't a popular opinion in many respects, but the contrived format has ensured this. This puts it above the rugby union or cricket world cups for starters.

It doesn't really matter if Australia cruise past PNG or easily win their semi- if the final is a decent match (even if Aussie end up winning) the World Cup will have ticked both boxes- (a) plenty of competitive games, and (b) genuine uncertainty about the final result.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
All the tournament needs is a decent match in the grand-final for it to be a great success imo

Rugby league has proven that the early stages of a World Cup can be full of good games where it isn't just a "big" team beating a minnow 100-0. I know this isn't a popular opinion in many respects, but the contrived format has ensured this. This puts it above the rugby union or cricket world cups for starters.

It doesn't really matter if Australia cruise past PNG or easily win their semi- if the final is a decent match (even if Aussie end up winning) the World Cup will have ticked both boxes- (a) plenty of competitive games, and (b) genuine uncertainty about the final result.

But it is just that isn't it, contrived.

The sports you mentioned eg cricket & rugby could do the same and reduce the uneven contests as well

roopy

Referee

The sports you mentioned eg cricket & rugby could do the same and reduce the uneven contests as well
Union would be crazy to go for a format that made for even contests, because the only time it is even half entertaining is when a good side is cutting a sh*t side to pieces.
An even game in Union might as well be a kickoff between two blokes.

Mr Manly

Juniors

150% correct - if Australia were to play Scotland in their first match as it should be for eg i think 146 - 0 scoreline wouldnt be exaggerating.

Front-Rower

First Grade

The rugby league world cup has a long long way to go before it can be compared to the cricket world cup.

I will agree with you though the format has been good because it has matched teams based on ability not just an open draw. Therefore if you are matching teams based on ability you have closer games. But in saying that you are not conducting a proper world cup. I see this tournament as an extended tri-nations as the big 3 go through to the semis no matter what (in reality).

Last edited:

screeny

Bench

Every WC is contrived, in every sport, even Fifa's.

We contrived ours to get the big teams facing each other early, they contrive theirs to keep the big guns separate.

Why do RL fans fall into the trap of pursuiing the conventions of Fifa et al?

Mr Manly

Juniors
Every WC is contrived, in every sport, even Fifa's.

We contrived ours to get the big teams facing each other early, they contrive theirs to keep the big guns separate.

Why do RL fans fall into the trap of pursuiing the conventions of Fifa et al?

so way off the mark this aint funny - fifa seed they dont contrive - for eg - greece were the laughing stock of football and earned their win in the euros and are now seeded high in all tournaments thats not contrived thats earnt - plus their rules have always been the same 8 groups seeded top 2 advance - yeah like thats the same here.:roll:

Parra

Referee
This crap has been going on since 1954.

Enough talk of 'potential'.

There is no other sporting event in the world that has been given so many chances to capture the attention of the public and failed.

Enjoy it for what it is - but don't denigrate other international sport by making comparisons.

Nerd

Bench
This crap has been going on since 1954.

Enough talk of 'potential'.

There is no other sporting event in the world that has been given so many chances to capture the attention of the public and failed.

Enjoy it for what it is - but don't denigrate other international sport by making comparisons.
How on Earth is comparing the RLWC to other international competitions denigrating other sports?????

Perth Red

Post Whore
so way off the mark this aint funny - fifa seed they dont contrive - for eg - greece were the laughing stock of football and earned their win in the euros and are now seeded high in all tournaments thats not contrived thats earnt - plus their rules have always been the same 8 groups seeded top 2 advance - yeah like thats the same here.:roll:

Seeding is exactly contriving the draw. Why do you think they do it? They don't want the big guns being put in the same groups and being knocked out in the pool stage. It's fixing the draw as much as ensuring competitive games in every group.

I was critical of the format pre tournament but I have to admit it has led to a far more interesting WC. When we move to 3 pools of 4 teams it will be even better.

Latest posts