What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For those who can also read

Stewbum

Juniors
Based on recollections due to this thread I purchased Touch Wood by Duncan Hamilton.

What a great book. Capture the post -war motor racing spirit like nothing else. Wonderful read.
Great to hear! I've ordered a few books mentioned here, and use it as a resource for broadening my reading. I wonder where the original thread ended up. Before here I had one on rleague.com too.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Then that sounds quite similar to the Palma books.

Yeah these books did the same for me with HG's books, while they have always been on the 'I'll read them sometime in my lifetime list' they have shot to the top of my read list once I get through my current pile

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Lots of people struggle through The Gunslinger and then say The Drawing of the Three gets them hooked. The first 2 books are short so push through if you aren't really liking it imo.

Yeah I'm about 3/4 of the way through and it's been a fair slog for such a short book but it's still intriguing and can see it going somewhere.

T-Boon

Coach
I did a Stephen King tour in Maine in 2014. Bit lame but brought back many memories of his writing. Needful Things will always be my favourite.

Nice. I went to Bangor in 2010, drove past his house a couple times. Loved the accents up there.

T-Boon

Coach
Currently reading 'It' by Stephen King (third time).
Next up: 'The Great Santini' by Pat Conroy (for the second time).
Then: 'Suttree' by Cormac McCarthy.

elyod138

Bench
Where are you up to with 'It' ?
I've read it twice and about to finish a third. Up to 'The Ritual of Chud'.
I'm about halfway, The Losers Club just reunited in current day and they're going back to the places that resonate with them and shit is going down. Enjoying it so far.

gUt

Coach
Those of you who like crime procedurals mixed with the supernatural should check out the Charlie Parker series by John Connolly

Stewbum

Juniors
Bloody Booktopia shipment has gone missing.....Anyone got the phone number for that wanker on 4 million a year?

elyod138

Bench
Nearly all kindle for me nowadays
I bought a Kobo while I was trying to get through The Stand, it was physically awkward to read.

Best thing I've ever done, now I can start reading as soon as something interests me. I own 100+ books I haven't read because something else caught my eye before they arrived.

Parra

Referee
I am wading through an historical tome right now - it is a genuine doorstopper. Wish it was an ebook.....

One kindle benefit (there are many) is the way you can easily build your vocabulary. Just touch a word and you get the dictionary definition. It is very easy to gloss over word as we all know - we can discern the meaning, but when put on the spot some things are hard to define. So this feature is very useful.

What makes it great is that you can then bring up a list of all the words you have checked. You can then run through them quickly - if you need to check the definition again you leave them on the list. If you don't, you can remove them. This dynamic list is an awesome tool.

Stewbum

Juniors
I am wading through an historical tome right now - it is a genuine doorstopper. Wish it was an ebook.....

One kindle benefit (there are many) is the way you can easily build your vocabulary. Just touch a word and you get the dictionary definition. It is very easy to gloss over word as we all know - we can discern the meaning, but when put on the spot some things are hard to define. So this feature is very useful.

What makes it great is that you can then bring up a list of all the words you have checked. You can then run through them quickly - if you need to check the definition again you leave them on the list. If you don't, you can remove them. This dynamic list is an awesome tool.
That's a handy trick but I like books.

Was reading War and Peace at my desk and the guy across said (incredulous) 'What the hell is that - War and Peace?' To which I replied, 'Yes, it is.' It amazes me that people go through life with a knowledge of the great works but would never consider reading them.

Stewbum

Juniors
Shipment arrived. Started The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Disturbed to read that office sociopaths use it as a modern day management tool. I have to say this has tainted it in my eyes. Will finish it this weekend.

Next cab off the rank as book two is Anger is an Energy by John Lydon.

Parra

Referee
Shipment arrived. Started The Art of War by Sun Tzu. Disturbed to read that office sociopaths use it as a modern day management tool. I have to say this has tainted it in my eyes. Will finish it this weekend.

It has been dragged up & misquoted for years by management types. It was even quoted in the movie Wall Street

Latest posts