What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foran begs for Contract

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sundaynews/4608981a19773.html

Foran against

Talented Kiwis halfback says he's the end to Warriors woes

AARON LAWTON - Sunday News | Sunday, 06 July 2008

JUNIOR Kiwis halfback Liam Foran has called on the Warriors to end their search for a playmaker by signing him.

The 20-year-old comes off contract with the Storm at the end of this season and has been frustrated at playing second fiddle to star halfback Cooper Cronk.
Foran is convinced he's the man to replace the much-maligned Grant Rovelli and lead the Warriors to the promised land.
Foran has been forced to ply his trade in the under-20s side this year but last night he declared to Sunday News he was "ready" to take charge of a first-grade side.
And that side could be the Warriors with revelations the club has been in talks with his agent Gavin Orr about enticing him to Auckland.
"I'm off contract at the end of this season with the Storm," Foran told Sunday News.
"I'm really looking for an opportunity to start to run my own team as a halfback.
"I've had two years behind Cooper Cronk and I've learnt what it takes to run a team and how to organise a backline and things like that."
Foran, who left Auckland with his family and moved to Sydney when he was 11, says he would love to call the New Zealand city home again.
"At this point I am talking to a few clubs and the Warriors are one of those clubs," he said.
"I'm trying to play good footy and I'm definitely on the lookout for an opportunity.
"I'm a Kiwi and I still have a lot of family in New Zealand.
"I could certainly see myself playing for the Warriors.
"It's a good club and there's some very good players there in Steve Price and Brent Tate and those sort of blokes."
Foran's brother Kieran, who plays for the Sea Eagles' under-20 side, is another name to be linked with the Warriors.
But the 17-year-old standoff is contracted to the Sydney club until 2010 and says he has no plans to leave Australia any time soon.
But he's convinced his brother would thrive at the Auckland-based club.
"It would definitely be a good move for Liam to come to Auckland. The Warriors would be a good club for him," he said.
"I think the best thing for Liam was to spend two years with Melbourne. It would have matured him heaps as a player.
"He's definitely ready to step straight into the shoes of a starting halfback next year."
Of the other halfbacks on the market, the Warriors have been linked with Tigers star Mathew Head.
His agent David Riolo refused to discuss how negotiations had progressed but did concede Head would be interested in coming to Auckland if the right deal was offered by the club.
Meanwhile, young Rabbitohs halfback Eddie Paea has generated little interest in Auckland, according to his agent Sam Ayoub.
Paea the Junior Kiwis captain is set to be cut loose from the Sydney side at the end of the year and Ayoub is in talks with two NRL clubs about a deal for him.
"The Warriors suggested they may have had a bit of an interest in him a while ago but I haven't heard back from them since," Ayoub told Sunday News last night.
"We are talking to two other clubs. I doubt he will be staying at the Rabbitohs.
"In saying that, anything's possible.
"I would imagine an offer from the Warriors would certainly appeal to him.
"He's certainly a player on the up and one would have thought the Warriors would be interested in him."

wittyfan

Referee
Liam Foran, Storm u20 halfback, New Zealander, idolises Stacey Jones and wishes to emulate his feats. Has big wraps on him from a lot of people within the Storm camp. Has a younger brother playing at Manly.

Given the club's policy is to recruite Australians only, I don't fancy his chances.

wittyfan

Referee
I don't know who he is.

And players who beg for contracts aren't usually much chop.

JB

Juniors
6. Eddie Paea, 7. Liam Foran

Combination that would take care of the Warriors for 10 years.

Saw these 2 combine for the JKs last year where they outclassed their aussie counterparts. They complemented each other really well. Paea the more flairy,instinctive player who can take the line on and has a nice short kicking game. Foran the organiser, who directs play well, and a good long boot.
Young, gifted, and Kiwi. Could do worse.

Latest posts