What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Form slump or starting to fall?

bucko

Juniors
We are all used to seeing Newcastle being such a dominant side in the NRL competition. But in recent weeks we have seen a major form slump which included a 40 point floggin by Melbourne, and a loss to the sharks at Marathon. Their problems don't improve this week facing the broncos at the new suncorp stadium. Newcastle are an excellent club with great depth, and they have the ability to bounce back from this but will they? Or are they going to spend a few years out of the 8. By the way, I am not writing the knights off this year by all means.

salivor

First Grade
Injury hasn't helped them and Joeys not in the best of form. I'm sure they'll bounce back on the run home but I see them more as finishing in the bottom of the 8 now.

roopy

Referee
The main problem at the Knights is that we let players like Clinton O'Brien, Julian Bailey, James Wynne, Billy Peden, Jarod O'Doherty and Niel Sweeney go in the off season.

None of these guys will set the world on fire, but they are all guys who could fill in in firstgrade without disrupting the way the Knights play. They all had heaps of experience.

Having said that, we have debuted Craig Hall, Todd Bates (19 yo), Reegan Tanner (19 yo), Mathew Kennedy (21 yo), Andrew Price (21 yo), Blake Mueller (20 yo) so we have heaps of young talent coming through, all of whom just need experience before they will be very handy players.

Another factor is that the Knights have a very easy draw to finish the season, after starting the season with a very hard draw, and we still have 2 byes as well.

The Knights will finish in the top eight, and they will have a chance to give young guys experience and rest older guys with injuries during the easier part of their season (the back end of the draw), so the Knights could still be a force this season if the Gods of football shine on us enough to get some of our old crocks like Parsons, Kennedy and McDougall fit for the end of the year.

As for future seasons, we have never had so many good young players as we have right now. The average age of our Premier League team is under 20 at present due to the number of great young kids who just demand a spot. We have guys who I think would go close to firstgrade at other clubs who have been pushed out of Premier League to make way for 18 yo kids.

bucko

Juniors
Well said Roopy, Newcastle are an important part of our game. I also like their large junior base which will continue to produce talent as long as Newcastle are a club in the NRL.

~bedsy~

First Grade
Newcastle seem to be in a form slump... but I don't see it being permant....
We have had a few injuries and not sucha good run... Tahu has not seen his best season and I feel Joey is feeling abit down at the moment.. but don't be surprised to see him fire up tomorrow in time for Origin. He definatly ins't playing bad he's just getting to frustrated at times... which doesn't help him as he trys to rush things....
Newcastle will most definatly bounce back and Origin time is always a bit of a slump time for Newcastle because so many players are out and or tired from backing up.

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
The Knights have been one of the most consistant well performing sides since 1996, and i think it is time for them to drop off a bit, i wouldn't seem them being any higher than 6th position this year, possibly battling for 8th position next year.

Just my opinion tho

The Knights have been one of the most consistant well performing sides since 1996, and i think it is time for them to drop off a bit, i wouldn't seem them being any higher than 6th position this year, possibly battling for 8th position next year

i think they will come back to form tthis weeked, and i doubt they will be battleing for 8 position next year!
i also think that they would get highier then position 6 this yr as well ;-)

Spike

First Grade
bucko said:
Newcastle are an excellent club with great depth, and they have the ability to bounce back from this but will they?

Judging by todays victory, your question has been answered. :mrgreen:

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
knights=champions said:
The Knights have been one of the most consistant well performing sides since 1996, and i think it is time for them to drop off a bit, i wouldn't seem them being any higher than 6th position this year, possibly battling for 8th position next year

i think they will come back to form tthis weeked, and i doubt they will be battleing for 8 position next year!
i also think that they would get highier then position 6 this yr as well ;-)

well they showed me, but i still think they are slipping

bucko

Juniors
Well that performance against the broncos has made me decide they aren't falling. That was an excellent performance. Too bad they've got the bye this week, and that may slow down that form they seem to have developed.

~bedsy~

First Grade
bucko said:
Well that performance against the broncos has made me decide they aren't falling. That was an excellent performance. Too bad they've got the bye this week, and that may slow down that form they seem to have developed.
But it's good because we have 7 players out because of origin. :D

~bedsy~

First Grade
bucko said:
Yeah well lets hope they can assist in gettin NSW over the line this year.
Oh the will ;-) Joey and Bedsy will bark at each other, with T and Gids doing what they do best and Perry and BK running at the line pushing their way through :D

Mayor_Quimby

Bench
bedsy said:
bucko said:
Oh the will ;-) Joey and Bedsy will bark at each other, with T and Gids doing what they do best and Perry and BK running at the line pushing their way through :D

well by the sounds of it, we don’t need the other 10 players :lol:

~bedsy~

First Grade
Mayor_Quimby said:
bedsy said:
bucko said:

well by the sounds of it, we don’t need the other 10 players :lol:
:lol: smartarse :twisted: ........ but Bk might be out :( hope not, but my bro will be happy if they put Menzies in.

Alan Shore

First Grade
bedsy said:
bucko said:
with T and Gids doing what they do best

If they're going to do what they do best, then there's no way NSW can win with 2 turnstiles on the field.

antonius

Coach
Tamazoid said:
bedsy said:
bucko said:
with T and Gids doing what they do best

If they're going to do what they do best, then there's no way NSW can win with 2 turnstiles on the field.
But win they did, and how good did Johns make those two Roosters (Wing, and Minichielo) look?
As for the topic, well the Knights have had a somewhat horific run of injuries, and still have a few out. Remember this time last season how the Roosters were going thru a simalar set of circumstances, and look where they ended up. I am confident we will finish at worst top four, judging by the talent coming through the premier league team ( a lot of whom have been on show in first grade already this season) I see no slump in our fortunes in the forseeable future. When Johns decides to call it quits, then that may see a change in Newcastles fortunes.

Anonymous

Juniors
:lol:

Oooops! bedsy's onto us I'll talk some football..... ;-)

How good were the Knights last night WHAT a game I'm still shaking with excitement, in the first half I'm thinken we are goooooooooorne then they hit back hard after the break lady luck was smileing on us and then Tahu threw that shocker of a pass and the goons scored AGAIN I had a dummy spit big time....and what was going on with the refs? Buds try was knocked back :evil: WHAT THE HELL!!
THAT WAS A TRY no ifs or buts about it that video ref is an idiot!!! :( the linesmen were no better and while I'm on about the refs WHAT ABOUT BUMSTEAD...HOPELESS!!
Doogs played all over Blacklock last night it was great to see him back on the park in such top form.... The KNIGHTS were wonderful last night that for me was the best GAME all season it went down to the wire.
I wonder what joey and Ryles were saying to each other.... Vossie tried to pry it out of him but the joe refused to comment.