What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former first graders playing bush footy

Most clubs pay players. Some don't. Some pay a lot more than others. Newcastle and Illawarra clubs pay more than NSW Cup sides while there are comps like the Castlereagh Cup which is structly amateur and clubs can be kicked out for paying players. So it varies. As for support it depends on the club and the comp, but a few hundred would be about average. Most grand finals get between 1500 and 3000 while some of the big comps might get even more.

bruisershark

Juniors
in group 2 which is from woolgooga in the north to port macquaire in the south they're are a fair few x sydney first graders here is a few i can think of. DANNY RUSSELL x panthers + TROY ROBINSON x rabbitohs are both at the sawtell panthers while x tigers,warriors,shark and one time test player RICHARD VILLASANTI played with sawtell last season.x balmain tiger PAUL DAVIS had a run with the nambucca roosters reserve grade last year while at my son's club the mighty bellingen/dorrigo magpies they're are JOSH WHITE x magpie +steeler who is club president,BRANDON COSTIN [PEARSON] x rabbitoh,magpie,rooster and raider is coach,MATT DONOVAN x panther + gold coast + RICK McGRADY x gold coast are both playing for bello.:crazy:

no name

Coach
Haha I watched Roy Bell playing for Northern United vs. Grafton Ghosts in a qualifying final last year and he scored the most brilliant try ever and the referee called him offside ... from his own kick. It was baffling. Bell put up a mid field bomb, chased it down, plucked it out of the hands of the Ghosts fullback and ran another 20 to score but was ruled offside. Cost United the game too. He got binned afterwards so he must have done precisely what you said.

Also Craig Field is coaching Cudgen Hornets again this year I think. Not playing anymore though.

The comp is run by Grafton Ghosts and they were always going to win that game and the comp.
Bell probably called him one then as well, but he was sent off and suspended for abusing the ref during the year but the NRRRL shat themselves and let him off after he appealed. The young ref, who was probably the best ref in the game, gave it away after that. The comp is a joke.

And yeah, Field is coaching, not playing.

Last edited:

Coastbloke

Bench
Lakes United (The Real NRL) have Adam Woolnough for 2012..

They could do with the legend that is Dan Tolar as well..

Pugzley

The whole NQ Cowboys team looked like they're playing bush footy on the NRL against the Titans.

Brett Firman has signed for Scone.

And Daniel Dumas is coaching Port City having played for them and Port Sharks for many years.

Gibbo

Juniors
A bit closer to the start of the bush footy season, any more ex-NRL players decided to go round again?

roofromoz

First Grade
Apparently Piggy Riddell has signed on to play for Thirlmere Roosters in Group 6 along with coaching the Roosters SG Ball side. Have not seen confirmation of this as yet though.

It's actually The Oaks Tigers, but still in Group 6.

http://www.camdenadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/rugby-league/piggy-in-the-middle/2486872.aspx

Stuart Flanagan is playing for Oakdale Workers this year.

I actually live in Group 6 territory... must catch some matches this year and get the bush footy experience.

Latest posts