Former League Commentators

Discussion in 'NRL Media Watch' started by Knight87, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Knight87

Knight87 Juniors

Parra_fan, you were saying about the Canberra/Illawarra game in 1992 that Rex Mossop called. I thought he was gone after 1990, when Hughesy took over fulltime as main caller. Why did Mossop get the flick btw if he was supposedly the equivalent of Ray Warren back then?

I never got to see Warren Boland call for ABC back in the day, however, I did see him as sideline eye in the Queensland Cup and he was pretty good. One of the few comentators today that still keeps the traditional old 80's moustache, hehhehe!:lol:

The Jim Beam Cup is on Fox, and David Tapp and Peter Mullholland call the games. I don't know how you guys rate Tapp and Mulholland, but I think Mulholland use to be the sideline eye for Fox in the first year of the NRL.

Dunno how you guys also rate Gerry Collins and David Morrow.

2. Dominant Lost His Legs

Dominant Lost His Legs Juniors

The great John O'Reilly from ABC TV in the 60s and 70s. There'll never be another.

LeagueXIII likes this.
  3. Dominant Lost His Legs

Dominant Lost His Legs Juniors

During one Raiders game he had "Laurie Stuart" in the halves!

4. Knight87

Knight87 Juniors

Why did Rex Mossop go in the end? Did he retire on his own terms?

5. Knight87

Knight87 Juniors

How would you feel if Ray Hadley, Peter Wilkins, Gerry Collins, David Morrow or Jon Harker wwere to call rugby league games on tv?

6. Brutus

Brutus Referee

Thirsty Morrow is good, Collins is ordinary. Plus he's more of a union man.

Hadley is poor - sounds like he is calling a race. I liked Wilkins tryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

Graeme Hughes, Warren Boland and Wilkins need to be given calling gigs somewhere. They are all better than some of the clowns on Fox currently.

7. PARRA_FAN

PARRA_FAN Coach

I dont know if Mossop got the flick or retired. I know he finished up in 1990, Ian Maurice he was also commentator in 1990 I think got the flick in and ended up back at Channel 9 in 1991. Not as commentator but as sports reader.

They probably wanted more ratings Ch 10, so they decided to use Hughes more, who was a better commentator and also use Wayne Pearce and Bill Anderson as co commentators, as well as Peter Peters and Peter Sterling on several games. That was the last year Ch 10 covered Rugby League matches, as Ch 9 got full ratings the following year.

Mossop I think went to Ch 7 in 1991, to join their sports show, which I think also included Roy Masters. He mightve done a bit commentary while they were calling the Australia/New Zealand test series that year. Can anyone tell me who was the caller in that series.

So in that 1992 game, Prime mightve been covering the game, and since Mossop was on Ch 7 and Prime is part of that network, they decided Mossop was the best caller for it. I have a video of it.

Im still working on uploading videos, so once Ive done it I can show it to you on Youtube.

8. Brutus

Brutus Referee

I'm pretty sure Graeme Hughes went to channel 7 in 1992. He called the Test series v GB and hosted the Sunday League show.

9. Knight87

Knight87 Juniors

Yo, Parra_fan again. Its just I thought that Ch9 had the club rights from 1992 onwards, and Ch7 only televised the test matches (ie 1992 Ashes series vs GB and 1993 test series vs NZ). That's why I was a bit confused when you said that Rex Mossop called the Canberra/Illawarra game. And good luck with the youtube clips. Should be good viewing, although I hope you don't get threatened with legal action from those NRL cronies (as what has happened to other rugby league clips on youtube).

10. Knight87

Knight87 Juniors

Yep, I remember the Steve Vizard show incident (was about 4 yrs old at the time, but still remember it). Here's the clip from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7jlP9nLctY

11. PARRA_FAN

PARRA_FAN Coach

Correct, Channel 7 had the rights to test matches in 1991-93.

Im not sure who was commentating in 1991, but Hughes was definately commentator in the GB series in 1992, and the NZL test series in 1993

12. ocko

ocko juniors

pat welsh i think

13. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

He was joined by Reg Gasnier.

Don't know when,but I remember Reg on Sat arvo games in the early to latish 70's.

14. WillKavFromMelbourne

WillKavFromMelbourne Juniors

15. roofromoz

roofromoz Bench

Mark Geyer and Ben Ikin calling Raiders v Panthers on Nine when Vossy fell ill... I'm sure that happened.

16. THE CHAMP

THE CHAMP First Grade

No caller from the past is worse than the absolute shit we get served up now

KennySterling and simmo05 like this.
  17. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

I hope matt thompson gets canned soon. Really grating voice and tone plus he has an obvious QLD bias

18. Showtime

Showtime Juniors

Bias commentary is the only thing we’re winning at the moment.... let us have it.

Incorrect likes this.
  19. Incorrect

Incorrect First Grade

Surely 9 have a plan to throw some big $$'s at Warren Smith or get Vossy back once Rabs is gone. Matt Thompson can't be their long term as primary match caller... They need some personality in their broadcast, Thompson doesn't have it...

20. Zadar

Zadar Juniors

Is Thurston the most boring monotone commentator on TV at the moment?

What’s with these Queenslanders, Thurston,Hodges,Walters,Parker, do they think viewers want to be spoken to like kindergarten kids?

TonyT6 likes this.