What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

The Realist

Juniors
Our attack has been far from average. We have had to grind 2 out of 6 wins. The analysts are gushing over how clever our attack has been, the seibold video is just one example. Flanno contastly praises how good our attack is as does Cronk and Braith, they literally break down the plays and show what we are doing when they get the chance.

Yes - when we execute. We still botch way too many opportunities.

This season so far is hard to get a proper read. For context - we have played 4 bottom 4 teams - teams that others have beaten more soundly than we have. We Beat the Raiders but it looks like they will be a middling team this year.

Our only real 'achievement' so far was beating the Storm - at home - and we barely did it despite a big chunk of their team missing (Yes I am aware of Api, and Edwards 2nd half) They were missing a good chunk of their pack plus the Pap.

Jane Murray

Bench
I wish him well.
He was outstanding for us in 2016 but unfortunately, his game fell away after that season. He gave good service to Saints in his first stint there.
It was sad to see him decline so much. At least he won a comp and played rep footy.
He actually gave the Panthers a wrap. He changed his tune, fortunately.

Jane Murray

Bench

This season so far is hard to get a proper read. For context - we have played 4 bottom 4 teams - teams that others have beaten more soundly than we have. We Beat the Raiders but it looks like they will be a middling team this year.

Our only real 'achievement' so far was beating the Storm - at home - and we barely did it despite a big chunk of their team missing (Yes I am aware of Api, and Edwards 2nd half) They were missing a good chunk of their pack plus the Pap.
Some people are just hard to please.

WestyLife

First Grade

We were missing Cleary, Api and Edwards for half the game.

The_Frog

First Grade
There’s now a former panther no longer in the nrl:

Good forward. His first year with us was his last as a truly topline forward. He used to play the full 80 back then but has been a shadow of that player for years.

The_Frog

First Grade

It was the same last year. Other teams had huge wins much more regularly than us but they had losses too, while we just won every week. Winning every week is an achievement. And we've conceded half as many points (plus one) of the next best, that's also an achievement.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
That would not surprise me.

The days of the really large forward I believe are dead and buried. Even though Merrin had great footwork, he wasn't playing the minutes of blokes like Yeo, and even JFH. Merrin does carry some weight round the middle which would impede that.....(Not being critical but just a fact)

Jane Murray

Bench
The days of the really large forward I believe are dead and buried. Even though Merrin had great footwork, he wasn't playing the minutes of blokes like Yeo, and even JFH. Merrin does carry some weight round the middle which would impede that.....(Not being critical but just a fact)
Given his dig, in the past, when he described the Panthers has having a toxic feeling, I was pleasantly surprised when he gave our club a compliment.

Speaking of another former player, James Tamou, I feel for him.

http://floomby.io/s/210421/3M7Gw56C

Last edited:

Jane Murray

Bench
I hope a lot of money is raised for these wonderful causes.

ANZAC Jersey Auction in aid of Mose Masoe
Author
Panthers Media
Timestamp
Wed 21 Apr 2021, 04:29 PM
Panthers is proud to officially launch the 2021 ANZAC Jersey Auction, with all proceeds being donated in aid of former Panther Mose Masoe and the Men of League Foundation.

All 21 players named in the Panthers squad on Tuesday will individually sign their respective match-issued jerseys. In addition, a framed ANZAC Jersey will be signed by the Panthers side that takes the field against the Knights and available as part of the auction.

50 per cent of the auction proceeds will be donated to the Men of League's 'Stand with Mose' appeal, to assist Mose Masoe and his family rebuild their lives following his catastrophic spinal injury. The other 50 per cent will go directly to the Men of League Foundation to help other former Rugby League players who have fallen on hard times.

BID NOW: 2021 ANZAC Jersey Auction

Mose Masoe is a gentle giant off the field, but on the field he was a fierce competitor, playing 183 matches over a 10 year career for Penrith, the Sydney Roosters, St Helens and Hull KR.

In January 2020 while playing a pre-season match with Hull KR, Mose Masoe suffered a serious spinal injury that would change his and the life of his family, forever.

Months of rehabilitation lay ahead with the knowledge that his rugby league career was over and that he would need to learn to walk again. With a partner and a young family to support, Mose has demonstrated incredible courage and a relentless determination to get back on his feet and bring his family back home to Australia to rebuild his life.

The ANZAC Jersey auctions end on Wednesday 28 April.

The Realist

Juniors
Gotta try to be positive don't we? Try assist and a 40/20.

I was personally a fan of Katoa with us and believe he was unfairly maligned in here and elsewhere. His attack isn't his biggest problem, it is actually very good especially when he keeps his errors down. His biggest problem is his defense and fitness. Watch the Storm tries and see how many times Storm went through a gap that Katoa just couldn't cover. He did it a fair few times in his last year with us as well.

He is either not fit or quick enough for a starting hooker.