What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forwards vs Backs

hellteam

First Grade
i was thinking about whether forwards or backs are more valuable so i thought of an interesting matchup. although this one is less racist :sarcasm:.

its a game betweeen players who are forwards and players who are backs. would be a good game i think.

Backs
1. Slater
2. Tate
3. Gasnier
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Soliola
9. Cronk
10.Tuiaki
11.Lewis
12.Folau
13.Hunt

Forwards
1. Sutton
2. Creagh
3. T Carroll
4. Menzies
5. Mannering
6. Bird
7. Farah
8. Mason
9. Smith
10. Civoneceva
11. Hoffman
12. Gallen
13. O'Donnell

my tip would be the backs. so many big backs around these days that their size would be enough to handle the bigger and stronger forwards.

so on that argument, backs are more important then forwards.

mattyg

Bench
put SBW in the centres for the forward team and tbh i think the forwards would win. Can't see the backs team making the metres, and then the forwards have the players who can set up points such as Smith, SBW, Farah etc.

Eels Dude

Coach
The forwards would smash the backs over the first 15 to 20 minutes and run riot. The backs wouldn't be able to keep up. Interesting idea though if modified a tad.

Alehana

Juniors
hmmmmmmm, we used to train like this, funny that up front foewards always won, out wide backs would burn, but the point being theres so many big backs, well theres also forewards with good ball skills and great footwork and speed that its kinda very even, but if forewards bash around at start will depends on how fit they are at the end and if backs have a heart muscle,

mattyg

Bench
yeah i think the backs simply won't make the metres and some of them players in the forwards team have excellent ball playing ability for forwards. Especially the likes of SBW, Hoffman, Bird etc.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i agree
not enough creativity from the forwards in the halves.
The back's pack looks reasonable tbh
and any break made by the forwards, would be shut down quick sticks by the quicker backs... backs are becoming just as physical as the forwards these days, however a forward will rarely be as quick or ellusive as a back.

mattyg

Bench
half the backs have never made more than 10 tackles in there career...hard to see how they'd cope needing to make 30 odd tackles in the forwards. I simply can't see the backs making the metres up the middle to use the creativity they have. On the other hand the forwards would make about 80m per set

perverse

Referee
the backs would get flogged imo. backs need a platform that is generally provided by the forwards. i don't think the backs pack could create the space for them to take advantage of their strengths. they'd be beaten from pillar to post.

the forwards team needs more mateo and sbw.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Forwards would win but all their tries would come off trampling over smaller backs instead of quality passes, speed or kicks.

no name

Coach
Backs would win.

Half the yards gained these days are from backs running from dummy half.
Once they take a couple of quick scoots from dummy half, they would have the forwards on the back foot and be too quick.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Backs would win.

Once they take a couple of quick scoots from dummy half, they would have the forwards on the back foot and be too quick.
If Grothe was in the backs he'd almost work as a forward getting out of your own 50.

I think he'd be perfectly suited to this since none of the forwards would have a good enough kicking game to cause him any problems.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Backs would win.

Exactly
and there is no forward with a good enough kicking game to pin the backs far enough into their own half to take advantage of the smaller backs carting it out from their ingoal. The backs would be at the halfway mark to start each set

caylo

Bench
I don't like the teams made up TBH, i think it would be pretty even with guys like SBW, Asotasi, Mateo, Hoffman who are all very quick anyway. Also offloading power is better with the forwards, but if you talking about the best backs with the likes of Hodges, Inglus they would be able to kept with the forwards IMO. Guys like Smith and Farah would mean that the forwards would have a decent kicking game.

my teams would be
Forwards
Hindmarsh
Mannering
SBW
Mateo
Stagg
Bird
Smith
Asotasi
Farah
Price