What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four nations - How the 4th teams compare

jim_57

Staff member
France showed the most potential IMO and it's unfortunate they haven't really been able to re-test themselves in the last 2 years. They were leading England at half time in England, they were 16-12 to NZ after about 55 minutes with alot of injured players missing and kept it respectable against Australia. They suffered quite a few injuries to their full-time players from memory so it really wasn't suprising when NZ overran them with alot of semi-pros on the field.

I would make France a permanent member and expand the comp to 5 nations keeping the NH/SH qualifiers as it is now. Not sure when the best timing would be to introduce this seeing as the next 4/5 nations won't be until 2014 in the Aus/NZ. 2015 would be ideal when hopefully France will have a second SL effectively doubling their professional player base.

It may be best to work with something like this:

2014:
  • 4 Nations - AUS, NZL, ENG, PNG - In Australia & NZ
  • Mid-year Euro tri-nations - ENG, WAL, FRA
  • Euro Cup - WAL, FRA, IRL, SCT, lebanese, ITL
  • Pacific Cup (Mid-Year during origin stand alone weekends)
2015:
  • 5 Nations - AUS, ENG, FRA (Now Permanent), NZL, WAL (or qualifier) - In UK and France
  • Mid-Year Euro & Pacific tri-nations - AUS, NZL & PNG - ENG, FRA & WAL (Winner of the euro/pacific cup plays last place for a spot in next years tri-nations)
  • Pacific Cup, Euro & Atlantic Cups (WC qualifiers)
  • Tours organised end of year
  • Mid-year tri-nations and Pacific Cup (Atlantic Qualifier joins)
  • End of year euro cup
  • World Cup year
  • Mid-Year friendlies
... and then the cycle repeats except it's a 5Nations both in '18 & '19 with France permanently there, mid-year tri nations and pacific, euro and atlantic cup played yearly.

The mid-year stand alone weekends could look something like this:

Week 1
  • Origin 1
  • NZ V PNG - Tri Nations game 2
  • Pacific Cup - Cook Islands V Samoa (4V5)
  • PC - Tonga V USA (3V6)
  • Fiji V ???
  • ENG V WAL - Tri nations game 1
Week 2
  • Origin 2
  • NZ Origin (Aukland V the rest?)
  • PC - PNG V Samoa (1V4)
  • PC - Fiji V Tonga (2V3)
  • WAL V FRA - Tri Nations game 2
Week 3
  • Origin 3
  • NZ V Pacific Islands XIII
  • FRA V ENG - Tri Nations game 3
  • WA V Victoria (When/If they both bring through enough players to make the game respectable)
OK so that got a bit long winded but I think it all could work really well.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
France showed the most potential IMO and it's unfortunate they haven't really been able to re-test themselves in the last 2 years. They were leading England at half time in England, they were 16-12 to NZ after about 55 minutes with alot of injured players missing and kept it respectable against Australia. They suffered quite a few injuries to their full-time players from memory so it really wasn't suprising when NZ overran them with alot of semi-pros on the field.

I would make France a permanent member and expand the comp to 5 nations keeping the NH/SH qualifiers as it is now. Not sure when the best timing would be to introduce this seeing as the next 4/5 nations won't be until 2014 in the Aus/NZ. 2015 would be ideal when hopefully France will have a second SL effectively doubling their professional player base.

It may be best to work with something like this:

2014:
  • 4 Nations - AUS, NZL, ENG, PNG - In Australia & NZ
  • Mid-year Euro tri-nations - ENG, WAL, FRA
  • Euro Cup - WAL, FRA, IRL, SCT, lebanese, ITL
  • Pacific Cup (Mid-Year during origin stand alone weekends)
2015:
  • 5 Nations - AUS, ENG, FRA (Now Permanent), NZL, WAL (or qualifier) - In UK and France
  • Mid-Year Euro & Pacific tri-nations - AUS, NZL & PNG - ENG, FRA & WAL (Winner of the euro/pacific cup plays last place for a spot in next years tri-nations)
  • Pacific Cup, Euro & Atlantic Cups (WC qualifiers)
  • Tours organised end of year
  • Mid-year tri-nations and Pacific Cup (Atlantic Qualifier joins)
  • End of year euro cup
  • World Cup year
  • Mid-Year friendlies
... and then the cycle repeats except it's a 5Nations both in '18 & '19 with France permanently there, mid-year tri nations and pacific, euro and atlantic cup played yearly.

The mid-year stand alone weekends could look something like this:

Week 1
  • Origin 1
  • NZ V PNG - Tri Nations game 2
  • Pacific Cup - Cook Islands V Samoa (4V5)
  • PC - Tonga V USA (3V6)
  • Fiji V ???
  • ENG V WAL - Tri nations game 1
Week 2
  • Origin 2
  • NZ Origin (Aukland V the rest?)
  • PC - PNG V Samoa (1V4)
  • PC - Fiji V Tonga (2V3)
  • WAL V FRA - Tri Nations game 2
Week 3
  • Origin 3
  • NZ V Pacific Islands XIII
  • FRA V ENG - Tri Nations game 3
  • WA V Victoria (When/If they both bring through enough players to make the game respectable)
OK so that got a bit long winded but I think it all could work really well.

First of all - I love your thinking and I think this is the way forward but further down the track. Just one other think - I think we are a long way off having a mid year international window because of these reasons:
  • Tier 2 not close enough to tier one yet
  • They would need to be qualifying tournaments for the end of year (ie Euro Cup top 2 and Pac Cup top 2 go to end of year 4 Nations - eg: Eng, France / Aus & NZ) and Aus will not play due to State of Origin and should not be exempt from qualifying
  • Need a stronger RLIF to impose international dates on the ESL & NRL and ensure that players are released to all nations.
I also don't like this habit we are getting into of having a break from usual proceedings the year before a world cup - RU has a 3 / 6 nations every year! Even in a world cup year - surely we can do the same. It builds continuity, strength and depth of playing nations and would be easier to build the media / public profile year in year out.