What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox - Chooseday

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Manly vs Parra 2003. What a game...

What an ordinary side we had back then. Dorn, Ferris, Randall and Walker.... OMG. We did have Watmough, Donald, Menzies, Hopoate and Reeves. The one thing I will say is they played above their weight for most of that season. There were some terrible results, but this should have been the season we got a wooden spoon.

One thing about following Manly that I know. There is never any fear about a wooden spoon. It hasnt & never will happen. Just not in our DNA.

Other teams/supporters choke on this fact.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I'd never go as far to say it will never happen... But I like the fact it hasn't.

It got me thinking about how we hadn't played in many golden point games since being the winner of the first. Turns out we have the least with 2. I reckon the fact we haven't lost many is probably the reason I don't object to the whole Golden Point thing. Imagine being a Tigers fan. Played 12, lost 8. And they have won their last 3...

CC_Eagle

First Grade
I remember that game quite vividly. I even think I was there? Was nice to see the Jason King of old - the guy who used to fight his own shadow.

When we won in 2008, all I could think about was the cold, rainy evenings and afternoons spent on the hill, watching a team worth $500K on paper get belted by 30 every week.

Choc's handling back then was just as bad as it is now!

zombie jesus

Staff member
Post Toovey-Pre Kennedy era was definitely tough, and that's not counting all the NE years.

circling eagle

Juniors
I didn't mind Ben Walker, he provided a spark in a very ordinary team and his goal kicking was solid. The odd thing about this game was how many Parra players on the field ended up with us, Lyon, Witt, Dunley etc.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I had a good laugh at all the future Manly players too.

Walker was good at goal. But his play was very one dimensional.

Sometimes it honestly felt like Beaver was almost doing it on his own, especially in defence. That's why I admire the guy so much. He stayed loyal and true, when he easily could have taken the leagues club from Parramatta. On top of all that he played his guts out for us. I think Beaver has a lot to do with why we find it easy to hold onto players now for less $$$.

Scarves

Juniors
At the time Ben Walker was perfect for a club that had to rebuild from the ground up, no one wanted to touch us, fans of other clubs laughed when Manly signed Des Hasler (the water bottle runner) as our coach. Walker was on the outer after a stint at Brisbane, he was a very good goal kicker and an attacking style of playmaker that always had an attacking crack. Perfect for the Sea Eagles.