What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox obviously prefer AFL

whall15

Coach
The new Fox Sports 24-hour AFL channel Fox Footy, scheduled to launch on 17 February, has finally shed some light on its programming details.

The channel, which recently announced media personality and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire as a commentator and host, will produce live panel shows from Sunday to Thursday, while Saturday will feature three back to back matches from early in the afternoon to late at night.

The popular show AFL 360, hosted by sports journalists Gerard Whateley and Mark Robinson, will now air an episode every night from Monday to Thursday at 7:30pm. In 2011, the high rating show aired only once a week on Wednesday nights, meaning 2012 will be a significant step up for Whateley and Robinson.

In addition to AFL personalities Mark Maclure and David King who featured as guest panellists on the show last year, 360 will now add Mark Thompson, Rodney Eade, Barry Hall, and Cameron Mooney as regular contributors, AFL.com.au reports.

It is understood that the show will broaden its previous focus, which was purely on the AFL media, and will now include "analysis and interpretation" of the day's news.

McGuire is also reported to be hosting a show on the station that will air on Sunday nights, while existing shows On the Couch, AFL Insider, and AFL Teams will return.

The channel's launch will coincide with the start of the NAB Cup pre-season competition.

http://www.mediaspy.org/report/2012/01/25/fox-footy-programming-details-announced/

So a daily AFL show on their new AFL station while Rugby League gets f**k all when it's a bigger rater...

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Didn't a Fox Tardball channel already go Tits up????? Expect the same again, 55% of the country would rather a lappy off Elton John than watch a game of Flogball.

Coastbloke

Bench
The boss of Foxtel - who was the boss of News's Super League in the 90s - is on record as saying he prefers AFL, apparently for it's 'better family image....'

hutch

First Grade
I have noticed on all of the foxtel ads on 2012 that they never mention the nrl. They have different shows, Olympics and every afl game "siren to siren", whatever that means! No mention of their biggest sport! Disgraceful!

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Reading that i think this channel is overkill. Too much content and i reckon a lot of it will go stale and lose viewers apart from the hardcore fans who will watch every single show.

Lower average ratings for matches would not surprise me either. More blowouts, diluted talent, difficult to watch on tv as it is.

Whats the feeling on the forum? Would we really want a Fox sports NRL channel? I would be happy with an increase in non-match content and every game live.

docbrown

Coach
There's value in having your own channel but it doesn't need to run night and day.

Anybody tuning into watch AFL 360 every night has no life.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I must be in a time zone.

Im sure we (Rugby League supporters) were saying the exact same thing when they first launched it about 10 years and they scrapped it for the same reason.

I have seen ads of NRL, but mainly to do with "Sport in 2012".

Usually around this time they show their usual NRL Club Membership drive ad with Wendell Sailor the main man, but now that he's been punted from Fox, maybe they'll come up with a new ad.

Coastbloke

Bench
Whats the feeling on the forum? Would we really want a Fox sports NRL channel? I would be happy with an increase in non-match content and every game live.

In regard to content, then let's discuss a League channel as opposed to just a NRL or AFL channel..

AFL Channel:

AFL comp........... :roll:

League Channel:

NRL
ESL
French Comp (Matchs of the rnd and LDC and Elite GFs)
SOO classics
Challenge Cup Finals and GF
Test matches & Test classics (Four Nations the commercials don't want)
WC matches and WC classics (WC matches the commercials don't want)
Pacific Cup matches (as shown on Nine 3 years ago)
NSW Cup
QLD Cup
PNG Comp
Some European Cup matches such as French games..
City Country past matches

CC_Roosters

First Grade
In regard to content, then let's discuss a League channel as opposed to just a NRL or AFL channel..

AFL Channel:

League Channel:

NRL
ESL
SOO classics
NSW Cup
QLD Cup
PNG Comp

I never thought of this. We could easily provide more game content instead of couch talking shops that the afl seem to have in abundance.

So from that perspective it would be awsome to have a channel but only if it was done with 2/3 of the content you mentioned above. I dont think i could stomach 5 different shows talking about virtually the same thing every night.

docbrown

Coach

AFL Channel:

League Channel:

NRL
ESL
SOO classics
NSW Cup
QLD Cup
PNG Comp

Yep. Don't forget Toyota Cup either.

Parra Pride

Referee

AFL Channel:

League Channel:

NRL
ESL
SOO classics
NSW Cup
QLD Cup
PNG Comp

That would be a f**king great channel to have in the god awful off season.

docbrown

Coach
Any chance you know whether NRL will be on Fox 1 or 2 this coming season?

I was of the understanding that a conflicting AFL match would be broadcast on Fox Sport 1. My guess is this clashes with Saturday Night NRL.

Don't be surprised if we're over 3 different channels.

Last edited:

eozsmiles

Bench
Reading that i think this channel is overkill. Too much content and i reckon a lot of it will go stale and lose viewers apart from the hardcore fans who will watch every single show.

Lower average ratings for matches would not surprise me either. More blowouts, diluted talent, difficult to watch on tv as it is.

Read through the forums and see what people think about the current Footy programming on TV. After reading that ask yourself if people think it is possible to provide quality content for a full time or everyday "footy show". Nobody will watch it if it is crap.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

AFL Channel:

League Channel:

NRL
ESL
SOO classics
NSW Cup
QLD Cup
PNG Comp

That would be worth watching.

Although some of the matches wont be broadcast on any network, but like a news report with ground footage.

ESL and other UK matches would be great instead of having to watch the games at 12am or 1am on Channel and dont show the full match.

One of the best things about Fox last year was Chooseday night football and also Rugby League classics. Even showing matches pre NRL days.

Coastbloke

Bench
I never thought of this. We could easily provide more game content instead of couch talking shops that the afl seem to have in abundance.

So from that perspective it would be awsome to have a channel but only if it was done with 2/3 of the content you mentioned above. I dont think i could stomach 5 different shows talking about virtually the same thing every night.

Perhaps the channel could be shared with League and AFL having 12 hours each..

Now that would be interesting..