What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox obviously prefer AFL

Cletus

First Grade
of course Fox Sports are pushing the AFL.

they have every game, live except for 1 game, the GF. for a pay TV outfit, having ALL of a major sport is heaven. Fox are :D:D:D

if they get every NRL game except the GF maybe there'll be a Fox NRL channel, but that will require some ground to be given on all sides like in the AFL deal, being RL tho, it will be a colossal c**k up.

But they still get the 5-9th picks as exclusive and local games outside of Victoria are still shown on FTA. Plus they don't get revenue from the ads they show. And they're paying a fortune for it. I still don't see why its a good deal for them, pay tv is all about exclusive content yet they don't get exclusive content for the most popular teams.

Springs

First Grade
So all of Australia plus 3 million more don't have pay tv?

An NRL channel would be great I reckon. A place for tons of classic matches and documentaries.

docbrown

Coach
LOL u do realise about 25,000,000+ aussies don't have pay tv while everyone has FTA don't you simpleton?

I'm not going to comment on your population figures but the whole argument I was disagreeing with was that Foxtel in NSW & QLD is "maxed out".

By saying there are millions of Aussies who don't have pay TV you are actually agreeing with me.

You should remain mute...

Teddyboy

First Grade
There's value in having your own channel but it doesn't need to run night and day.

Anybody tuning into watch AFL 360 every night has no life.

Agreed it's overkill but sadly there are a lot of sad bastards with no life of there own,look at the Man.U and Celtic channel.

RWB

Bench
Was talking to someone tonight about this and he said that the new tv deal will see the NRL get its own channel too. Wont reveal my source but he's always right.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I would guess that something like this would be in the works RWB.

The fact is that Foxtel simply can't afford to lose NSW and Qld.

Vic, SA and WA could never make up for the loss in subscriptions...

docbrown

Coach
That's my understanding as well as part of a proposed simulcasting arrangement.

There would then likely be only Foxsports 1 & Foxsports 2 to carry spill over and the other sports.

docbrown

Coach
Look I should clarify my statements further in case you don't remember me talking about this before.

I have nothing particular against the NRL getting it's own channel but there's a very real phenomenon known as Choice Overload.

http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html

That's a brief lecture on it if you're interested.

There's a common misconception that the more choices you're presented with the greater the quality of the outcome. The problem is that when overburdened with information consumers can actually become rather selective about what they watch, in actual fact the tendancy is to choose nothing at all.

I said during the AFL negotiations that they need to be careful because having 9 games to choose from each round can cause viewers to actually watch fewer matches. They might tend to be more selective and might choose not to watch other clubs - I mean, they've been given the power of control.

Any talk of simulcasting and wall to wall rugby league coverage really does need to take into account this viewing effect.

If you've ever heard someone say "2000 Channels and nothing good on..." you've been exposed to it.

Last edited:

no name

Coach
Was talking to someone tonight about this and he said that the new tv deal will see the NRL get its own channel too. Wont reveal my source but he's always right.

Well that narrows it down to 2. BunniesMan or DoggiesBro.

Why push a product thats already maxing out, don't forget they buy league to make money not promote the code!
Do you realise that subscription uptake rose in QLD & NSW last yr..that is not maxing out..
I bet it will rise again this yr & that 4 eyed tard Kim Williams will try to claim its because of Fumbleball.

LOL u do realise about 25,000,000+ aussies don't have pay tv while everyone has FTA don't you simpleton?
Before you call someone a simpleton ,you should at least have some of your facts right.
Which tard are you at Bigpoofy...?
Are you related to The Distributor/Incestcity?He was a whizz at Maths.

eozsmiles

Bench
Do you realise that subscription uptake rose in QLD & NSW last yr..that is not maxing out..
I bet it will rise again this yr & that 4 eyed tard Kim Williams will try to claim its because of Fumbleball.

How much of the subscription uptake do you believe is solely because of RL? I suspect it would be a decent rate but obviously not 100%.
And how much did the uptake rise?

eozsmiles

Bench
Agreed it's overkill but sadly there are a lot of sad bastards with no life of there own,look at the Man.U and Celtic channel.

You are talking about a different world there. Hundreds of millions of people are going to watch Man United play this weekend and Wayne Rooney is one of the most recognisable people on earth.
Hundreds of thousands are going to watch most RL matches and nobody outside NSW and QLD could pick Gallen or Thaiday in a police line up.
A sport such as soccer is so big that they only need 1% of fans to tune in randomly to have a decent audience. RL would need a truckload of their fans to tune in everyday for a decent audience.

Someone wrote something about Fox pushing AFL because they want more subscriptions in Vic. Vic is the only remaining gold mine on the Aust pay TV landscape. They have so much more to gain by getting as many subs in Vic as they have in NSW, rather than trying to grab a couple extra in their strongest markets.

Coastbloke

Bench
You are talking about a different world there. Hundreds of millions of people are going to watch Man United play this weekend and Wayne Rooney is one of the most recognisable people on earth.
Hundreds of thousands are going to watch most RL matches and nobody outside NSW and QLD could pick Gallen or Thaiday in a police line up.
A sport such as soccer is so big that they only need 1% of fans to tune in randomly to have a decent audience. RL would need a truckload of their fans to tune in everyday for a decent audience.

Someone wrote something about Fox pushing AFL because they want more subscriptions in Vic. Vic is the only remaining gold mine on the Aust pay TV landscape. They have so much more to gain by getting as many subs in Vic as they have in NSW, rather than trying to grab a couple extra in their strongest markets.

I would have trouble picking him in a police line up..

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
FOX Footy and FOX NRL channels would be ideal not only for each code but also other sports. Will certainly avoid clashes and forcing of telecasts onto Main Event and Fuel - my only qualm - those channels better come standard.