What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox obviously prefer AFL

Darren Britt

Juniors
NRL doesn't need foxtel/news to launch a dedicated channel. If the NRL can harness live internet broadcasts like the NBA - then we dont need foxtel/news.

By the time the NBN has been rolled out, everyone will have internet speeds capable of live HD broadcasts. I have watched a few live NBA games in HD on an ADSL2+ connection and surprised at the quality. Already Foxtel are planning to launch IQ3, which include IP/internet based broadcast.

At the moment the NBA charges $221.08 for a league pass. At the moment I am paying ~600 per year for the HD Sports package - purely for the NRL.

Dragon

Coach
They barely have enough content for the fox sports news channel... this one will bomb horribly

Cartman

Juniors
I was of the understanding that a conflicting AFL match would be broadcast on Fox Sport 1. My guess is this clashes with Saturday Night NRL.

Don't be surprised if we're over 3 different channels.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would they not just do viewers choice as they do with Saturday night NRL?

Big Pete

Referee
If they did a League channel I'd love to see documentaries or even just features on the history of the game, each team's season etc. etc. in a similar fashion of the NFL.

The possibilities are almost endless and would be fantastic to watch.

nrlnrl

First Grade
I was of the understanding that a conflicting AFL match would be broadcast on Fox Sport 1. My guess is this clashes with Saturday Night NRL.

Don't be surprised if we're over 3 different channels.

I know it was different 3 or 4 years ago, ( pushed onto Fox Sports 3 when that was introduced ) but in the last few seasons, rugby league games ( NRL / Toyota Cup ) have been on Fox Sports 2. With the AFL overlap games being on Fox Sports 1, there's no need for rugby league to change.

docbrown

Coach
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why would they not just do viewers choice as they do with Saturday night NRL?

You might see some games on Fox Sports 1 - Monday Night Football obviously would be smart. On a Saturday it sounds like it would be Foxsport 2 & Viewers Choice.

Thinking about the clashes -

Friday Nights - AFL on AFL Channel, No NRL on Fox Sports until the 9 games finish

Saturday Night - AFL will have games running from 2pm to 10:30pm with a double up at 2/3pm & 7:30pm on Fox Sport 1. I doubt they would show the 5:30pm on Fox Sport 1 and flip over so it sounds like it will be on Fox Sports 2 & viewers choice.

Sunday - AFL will have games running from 2pm to 7:30pm with a double up at 3pm-6pm on Fox Sports 1. So the 2pm - 4pm slot for NRL would need to be on Fox Sports 2 but noon games could be on Fox Sports 1 but I doubt it

Monday - No AFL, NRL on Fox Sports 1 would be smart

Is this justified? Hell no.

Last edited:

Cletus

First Grade
Didn't a Fox Tardball channel already go Tits up????? Expect the same again, 55% of the country would rather a lappy off Elton John than watch a game of Flogball.

It did go tits up by they were trying to charge extra for it. This time around they're charging League fans more by bumping up their prices. It's a complete joke, the only reason were getting shafted is because were dealing with a monopoly and they can do anything they want to.

nrlnrl

First Grade
You might see some games on Fox Sports 1 - Monday Night Football obviously. On a Saturday it sounds like it would be Foxsport 2 & Viewers Choice.

Thinking about the clashes -

Friday Nights - AFL on AFL Channel, No NRL on Fox Sports until the 9 games finish

Saturday Night - AFL will have games running from 2pm to 10:30pm with a double up at 2/3pm & 7:30pm on Fox Sport 1. I doubt they would show the 5:30pm on Fox Sport 1 and flip over so it sounds like it will be on Fox Sports 2 & viewers choices.

Sunday - AFL will have games running from 2pm to 7:30pm with a double up at 3pm-6pm on Fox Sports 1. So the 2pm - 4pm slot for NRL would need to be on Fox Sports 2 but noon games could be on Fox Sports 1

Monday - No AFL, NRL on Fox Sports 1

Is this justified? Hell no.

as mentioned above, rugby league has been on Fox Sports 2 for the last couple of years & can't see that changing. Unless Doc's spies have given some inside info ?

docbrown

Coach
as mentioned above, rugby league has been on Fox Sports 2 for the last couple of years & can't see that changing. Unless Doc's spies have given some inside info ?

Nope, purely guessing.

I have heard though that Fox Sports 1 is undergoing a "repositioning" hence why I suspect it still hasn't been decided.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Rightly or wrongly, there's a good reason why Fox Sports (not Foxtel — bear in mind they are seperate entities) have launched a Fox Fumble channel.

It's the same reason that the personality vacuum Andy Maher is hosting Fox Sports FC, and the same reason that Eddie McChins has been poached.

To get Victorians to subscribe.

The figures for NSW and QLD are already astronomical, as the ratings over the past season have shown.

But there are proportionally fewer subscribers in the southern states, which is why they've really pushed the boat out behind AFL this year.

So expect a Victorianisation of Australia's Sports Leader across the board.

docbrown

Coach
Rightly or wrongly, there's a good reason why Fox Sports (not Foxtel — bear in mind they are seperate entities) have launched a Fox Fumble channel.

It's the same reason that the personality vacuum Andy Maher is hosting Fox Sports FC, and the same reason that Eddie McChins has been poached.

The figures for NSW and QLD are already astronomical, as the ratings over the past season have shown.

But there are proportionally fewer subscribers in the southern states, which is why they've really pushed the boat out behind AFL this year.

No excuse for devaluing Rugby League though. People subscribing for NRL is exactly why they can afford to push this.

And in my opinion 30-35% is paltry. Those numbers will drop post NBN. If Fox want a sustainable business they need 50% across NSW & QLD.

That's what the NRL needs to remind them.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Not only that, AFL just recently renegotiated it's media broadcast deals. It's plainly obvious this is a result of that.

The NRL may well look at a similar proposition if FOX Sports is interested when the new deal is announced.

I don't like AFL either but I don't see why we need to be making angry faces at FOX about it, they remain the only way we can see NRL in HD, live or not.

docbrown

Coach
Not only that, AFL just recently renegotiated it's media broadcast deals. It's plainly obvious this is a result of that.

The NRL may well look at a similar proposition if FOX Sports is interested when the new deal is announced.

I don't like AFL either but I don't see why we need to be making angry faces at FOX about it, they remain the only way we can see NRL in HD, live or not.

Well their previous excuses are just ordinary.

If they think they've finished the job in NSW & QLD then they're going to be in for a surprise in ten years time.

They need to get to 50% to counter the 15-20% they're going to lose. They've even stated that in market reports so to say that they can't expand further in NSW & QLD is to contradict their own goals.

If anything they need more NRL coverage to get to that level because the primary thing that's going to retain their viewers post NBN is sports coverage and the only three worth their weight in Australia are Cricket, AFL & Rugby League.

nrlnrl

First Grade

Yeah, that's obviously been a priority to chase subscribers down south, but don't think rugby league viewers have been forgotten.

I think the well known changes ( adding Geyer, axing Woolford & Sailor ), plus the possibility of Matt Johns joining, means Fox Sports are freshening up their NRL coverage ( there's probably more to come ). Once these have been sorted, I think you'll see it given plenty of publicity.

nrlnrl

First Grade
NRL doesn't need foxtel/news to launch a dedicated channel. If the NRL can harness live internet broadcasts like the NBA - then we dont need foxtel/news.

By the time the NBN has been rolled out, everyone will have internet speeds capable of live HD broadcasts. I have watched a few live NBA games in HD on an ADSL2+ connection and surprised at the quality. Already Foxtel are planning to launch IQ3, which include IP/internet based broadcast.

At the moment the NBA charges $221.08 for a league pass. At the moment I am paying ~600 per year for the HD Sports package - purely for the NRL.

Remember we're lucky in Australia when subscribing to websites for US sports. We're not subjected to any blackouts of games - as Americans are with certain games in certain sports. ( for live coverage via internet and tv, e.g. NBA )

http://neulion.vo.llnwd.net/o37/nba/player/nbalp/termsofuse.htm

BLACKOUT RESTRICTIONS

The Service may only be used and/or accessed from the allowable territories as determined by NBAP (which shall exclude, without limitation, the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Guam, the People’s Republic of China (including Macau but excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan), Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Syria). Blackout restrictions may apply to the Service depending on the date of the applicable game, your location and any applicable local, national and international content distribution exclusivity requirements. You may therefore be unable to view certain games via the Service from some locations.

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
of course Fox Sports are pushing the AFL.

they have every game, live except for 1 game, the GF. for a pay TV outfit, having ALL of a major sport is heaven. Fox are :D:D:D

if they get every NRL game except the GF maybe there'll be a Fox NRL channel, but that will require some ground to be given on all sides like in the AFL deal, being RL tho, it will be a colossal c**k up.

seanoff

Juniors
Remember we're lucky in Australia when subscribing to websites for US sports. We're not subjected to any blackouts of games - as Americans are with certain games in certain sports. ( for live coverage via internet and tv, e.g. NBA )

http://neulion.vo.llnwd.net/o37/nba/player/nbalp/termsofuse.htm

BLACKOUT RESTRICTIONS

The Service may only be used and/or accessed from the allowable territories as determined by NBAP (which shall exclude, without limitation, the United States, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Guam, the People’s Republic of China (including Macau but excluding Hong Kong and Taiwan), Cuba, Iran, North Korea and Syria). Blackout restrictions may apply to the Service depending on the date of the applicable game, your location and any applicable local, national and international content distribution exclusivity requirements. You may therefore be unable to view certain games via the Service from some locations.

NFL sunday ticket was $340 this year on top of your cable subscription or the same over IP onto your PS3.

without sunday ticket you only get to watch Sunday night and /monday night and your local market team if it's not blacked out. if your local team is blacked out, you don't get to see them.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It did go tits up by they were trying to charge extra for it. This time around they're charging League fans more by bumping up their prices. It's a complete joke, the only reason were getting shafted is because were dealing with a monopoly and they can do anything they want to.
Blame this f**king Victorian weirdo.

Kim-Williams--NewsLifeMedia-has-big-role-to-play.aspx

Wouldn't you like to punch this Victorian Merkin in the face?????

The new Fox Sports 24-hour AFL channel Fox Footy, scheduled to launch on 17 February, has finally shed some light on its programming details.

The channel, which recently announced media personality and Collingwood president Eddie McGuire as a commentator and host, will produce live panel shows from Sunday to Thursday, while Saturday will feature three back to back matches from early in the afternoon to late at night.

The popular show AFL 360, hosted by sports journalists Gerard Whateley and Mark Robinson, will now air an episode every night from Monday to Thursday at 7:30pm. In 2011, the high rating show aired only once a week on Wednesday nights, meaning 2012 will be a significant step up for Whateley and Robinson.

In addition to AFL personalities Mark Maclure and David King who featured as guest panellists on the show last year, 360 will now add Mark Thompson, Rodney Eade, Barry Hall, and Cameron Mooney as regular contributors, AFL.com.au reports.

It is understood that the show will broaden its previous focus, which was purely on the AFL media, and will now include "analysis and interpretation" of the day's news.

McGuire is also reported to be hosting a show on the station that will air on Sunday nights, while existing shows On the Couch, AFL Insider, and AFL Teams will return.

The channel's launch will coincide with the start of the NAB Cup pre-season competition.

http://www.mediaspy.org/report/2012/01/25/fox-footy-programming-details-announced/

So a daily AFL show on their new AFL station while Rugby League gets f**k all when it's a bigger rater...

You don't seem to realise we already smash AFL in the ratings which is why they try to push AFL in their sales because they are already happy with league subscriber numbers.

Capish?

No excuse for devaluing Rugby League though. People subscribing for NRL is exactly why they can afford to push this.

And in my opinion 30-35% is paltry. Those numbers will drop post NBN. If Fox want a sustainable business they need 50% across NSW & QLD.

That's what the NRL needs to remind them.

Why push a product thats already maxing out, don't forget they buy league to make money not promote the code!