What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox obviously prefer AFL

VictoryFC

Bench
Perhaps. No different to the NFL and it seems to work. AFL is a religion for some. It can work.

Apart from the fact that NFL panel shows caters to an audience of something like 100 million NFL fans throughout the US. AFL caters to what? Maybe a few hundred thousand, tops? And that's without taking into account the other panel shows they have on FTA.

It's straw grasping for subscriptions. I honestly can't wait to see whether the outlay has any substantial effect on subscription numbers in southern states.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
All relative to the market you're in. Those paid to make decisions in AFL and in TV believe these shows will do well and I believe they will too.

VictoryFC

Bench
All relative to the market you're in. Those paid to make decisions in AFL and in TV believe these shows will do well and I believe they will too.

They are doing a whole lot for what may be a lot less in return. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of Fox, but the "untapped potential" of southern markets seems overblown. Are there really that many potential subscribers left down here that only an AFL onslaught would dig up?

There is absolutely favouritism going on. It's beyond any conspiracy theories anymore. I hope with every inch of my heart that they don't see the returns of investment.

RL1908

Bench
My guess is that having a bevy of panel shows helps convince potential new subscribers that there is value in signing up. What they offer as interest for current subscribers isn't perhaps the priority.

On the other hand cutting the number of panel shows to existing subscribers will do what, given most subscribers won't cut the chord and thus lose their weekend games?

Maybe it's just that NRL fans aren't really into panel shows (hence these shows get cut due to low ratings) compared to AFL, or maybe the right sort of NRL panel show still hasn't been offered yet. Then again, there aren't many Aust made soccer, cricket or RU panel shows either.

In the words of Newman of Seinfeld, it is "Quite the conundrum."

Cletus

First Grade
They are doing a whole lot for what may be a lot less in return. I'm not going to pretend to know the inner workings of Fox, but the "untapped potential" of southern markets seems overblown. Are there really that many potential subscribers left down here that only an AFL onslaught would dig up?

There is absolutely favouritism going on. It's beyond any conspiracy theories anymore. I hope with every inch of my heart that they don't see the returns of investment.

It doesn't matter if Foxtel lose money on it the AFL have already got their deal. I personally think it is a bad deal for Fox because they one more exclusive game but GWS will add buggerall subscribers, and there are still the best 4 games on FTA. With Fox and league 5 out of 8 games were exclusive to Fox so if you want to see your team most weeks you have to get Fox.

nrlnrl

First Grade
My guess is that having a bevy of panel shows helps convince potential new subscribers that there is value in signing up. What they offer as interest for current subscribers isn't perhaps the priority.

On the other hand cutting the number of panel shows to existing subscribers will do what, given most subscribers won't cut the chord and thus lose their weekend games?

Maybe it's just that NRL fans aren't really into panel shows (hence these shows get cut due to low ratings) compared to AFL, or maybe the right sort of NRL panel show still hasn't been offered yet. Then again, there aren't many Aust made soccer, cricket or RU panel shows either.

it also helps them with content

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does everyone remember the last foray of fox footy? a big decline in afl being shown in NSW and QLD pubs clubs and hotel motels.

These places arent going to change the box over they will just leave em on fox 1 2 3 , which is a relative AFL free zone...

docbrown

Coach

That's the standard pay-tv model. Offer 1 particular thing of interest - usually sport or premium/on demand movies - then offer a buffet of other selections.

Next you sucker enough people to sign the contract. If people get sick they at least wait out contract term to avoid the cancellation fee. But even after some leave you still retain a large enough percentage who will just maintain the status quo.

It's about 25 years old now.

We were in talks a few years ago for a totally original Rugby League pitch - it wasn't about panel talk or tactics or variety - and because of that although they like the concept it was untested so was passed. Funnily enough the director now does alot of the Foxtel promos, mostly for cricket and fumbleball though.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Is it possible to have Foxtel block particular channels for individual subscibers?

I would love to be making that call to them, asking to block the AFL channel...

mokn

Juniors
They are probably going to lose league next bid if we're reading this right.
It's much better for the game to go free to air as right now some teams are only getting 2 aired games a year which makes it hard for viewers to follow their team, It also makes getting your kids to follow your team even harder when they are never shown and you cant make many matches.
I really hope 10 win it with a split deal with 7.

nrlnrl

First Grade
That's the standard pay-tv model. Offer 1 particular thing of interest - usually sport or premium/on demand movies - then offer a buffet of other selections.

Next you sucker enough people to sign the contract. If people get sick they at least wait out contract term to avoid the cancellation fee. But even after some leave you still retain a large enough percentage who will just maintain the status quo.

It's about 25 years old now.

We were in talks a few years ago for a totally original Rugby League pitch - it wasn't about panel talk or tactics or variety - and because of that although they like the concept it was untested so was passed. Funnily enough the director now does alot of the Foxtel promos, mostly for cricket and fumbleball though.

when you say "we", who's that ? Was this one of your old jobs in the tv industry ? Also, you say it's about 25 years old now ( standard pay-tv model ) - is that from something used overseas or am I missing the point ?

Last edited:

nrlnrl

First Grade
Is it possible to have Foxtel block particular channels for individual subscibers?

I would love to be making that call to them, asking to block the AFL channel...

I realise your comment is half ( or more ) in jest, but here's an option.

I don't know if you have Foxtel / Austar, but there's a function where you can nominate your favourite channels. If "anti-AFL" people didn't want to accidentally go to it / deliberately avoid it, they could just watch channels from their favourites list.

nrlnrl

First Grade
It's much better for the game to go free to air as right now some teams are only getting 2 aired games a year which makes it hard for viewers to follow their team, It also makes getting your kids to follow your team even harder when they are never shown and you cant make many matches.

this doesn't make sense - all games are on Fox Sports every week

Perth Red

Post Whore

Sadly not a schance. No way in this day and age FTA would show all 8 games a week let alone any hope for expansion to include a 9th.

I can see Fox offering around $100mill a year for current set up or $150mill a year for every game live. They already have what they want and know that keeping what they have will maintain subscription levels in NSW and Q'land and to really boost them they would need every game live plus lots of other RL content. They have pushed the barrow out to snare AFL subscribers this time around, wouldn;t surprise me if we have to wait till next deal when internet coverage is a real challenger to subscription TV for us to see close to the AFL's deal.

Sadly we don;t have any money in the bank to stonewall them on this deal and say pay up or we will go with FTA and internet coverage. Fox know this and know the NRL isn;t in any real position to play hardball with them.

docbrown

Coach
Sadly not a schance. No way in this day and age FTA would show all 8 games a week let alone any hope for expansion to include a 9th.

Dunno. Again it's untested but by scheduling games in the same time slot they can target multiple markets so there is some logic in it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Dunno. Again it's untested but by scheduling games in the same time slot they can target multiple markets so there is some logic in it.

Yeah & with the digital channels now they can run alternate programming. Imagine 10 being able to guarantee the same viewers as NCIS on 1? People watch Mon night footy now so it won't affect to main channel but will get advertisers on side

Brutus

Referee
Does everyone remember the last foray of fox footy? a big decline in afl being shown in NSW and QLD pubs clubs and hotel motels.

These places arent going to change the box over they will just leave em on fox 1 2 3 , which is a relative AFL free zone...

You watch the AFL get their dirty hands into as many NSW & QLD pubs/clubs as possible to ensure their foxtel channel is shown.

They will try and buy some of these pubs/clubs off like they do with everything else.

Cletus

First Grade
Yeah & with the digital channels now they can run alternate programming. Imagine 10 being able to guarantee the same viewers as NCIS on 1? People watch Mon night footy now so it won't affect to main channel but will get advertisers on side

I can't see Ten or Seven bidding against Fox for MNF. It would make sense for them but there's too many conflicts with the owners. Maybe Nine will bid for it.