What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox obviously prefer AFL

Brutus

Referee
Yep even around Newcastle the foxtel stands have AFL pictures instead of NRL pictures. Have you seen the ratings for the AFL out here? Newcastle is about as anti AFL as any town you can find and yet they still try and jam it down our throats.

It's truly amazing really. The influence AFL has in so many businesses is just mind blowing.

Gee there must be a lot of bloody contra in this fumbleball TV deal.

The AFL continue their plan to shove their shit down our throats.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it just me or is the build up around the upcoming NRL season a little low key this season?

Maybe we're too far away because Australia is still in test cricket mode, but I would have thought I would have seen more NRL Membership drive advertising and more about the upcoming season in general on TV

All I have seen to be honest are ads about the channel being discussed here that no one in NSW will want to watch.

I reckon the IC takeover, the new TV deal and announcement of two new teams is going to be a trifecta of good news stories that is going to have this season buzzing for the first few months.

Yep even around Newcastle the foxtel stands have AFL pictures instead of NRL pictures. Have you seen the ratings for the AFL out here? Newcastle is about as anti AFL as any town you can find and yet they still try and jam it down our throats.

It's truly amazing really. The influence AFL has in so many businesses is just mind blowing.
What i find amazing in all of this is the fact that outside of the southern states of Australia know one gives a toss about Aussie Rules.
Foxtel or no one else can sell the game to any other country because no one outside of Australia is interested in the game. When you see Aussie Rules on TV in any other country than Australia its because the AFL has paid for TV company for that game to be broadcast.
Aussie Rules is a one country game with no following outside of Australia. Its no even the No 1 sport on TV in Australia. It never has and never will have any following outside of Australia and even then its popularity is confined to a few Southern states, and lets not forget that its as Australian as pasta. Like all football codes its origins are in Great Britain despite the claims of fat boy and others.

Teddyboy

First Grade
You are talking about a different world there. Hundreds of millions of people are going to watch Man United play this weekend and Wayne Rooney is one of the most recognisable people on earth.
Hundreds of thousands are going to watch most RL matches and nobody outside NSW and QLD could pick Gallen or Thaiday in a police line up.
A sport such as soccer is so big that they only need 1% of fans to tune in randomly to have a decent audience. RL would need a truckload of their fans to tune in everyday for a decent audience.

Someone wrote something about Fox pushing AFL because they want more subscriptions in Vic. Vic is the only remaining gold mine on the Aust pay TV landscape. They have so much more to gain by getting as many subs in Vic as they have in NSW, rather than trying to grab a couple extra in their strongest markets.

Well thats why I follow Rugby League because iam not one of the sheep.

bobmar28

Bench
Hey guys, lets get some perspective here.

Foxtel is a business - it will do whatever it thinks is in its own interests to increase its ratings. Foxtel doesnt really care if NRL or AFL or tiddlywinks rates the highest. Whatever it can sell, it will sell.

At the moment Rugby League sells on TV and the reasons for that are varied. For example, the North Queensland Cowboys has a fanbase that covers a huge area geogrphically and their fans cannot get to games easily. As their games are almost exclusively shown on a Saturday night (at the request of the club) they get shown live on Fox. That means Cowboys fans will subscribe heavily to Foxtel.

Also, like it or not, Rugby League translates far better to television than AFL does. With AFL what happens off the ball is often as important to the spectator as what is occuring on the ball. The camera can't capture this and a large reason for watching is lost. With league the camera can focus on the ruck area really well and alot of what happens live is far easier to see on television than at the ground.

That means League fans are far more likely to WANT to watch the televised recording and more likely to subscribe to pay television if the product they want to see is shown there more frequently.

Foxtel has weak subscription levels across the Southern States and the fact that so much AFL shows on FTA (Seven, Ten, One HD etc) means that the people that do want to watch AFL dont have to subscribe. If Foxtel increases it's ownership of games they're hoping to increase Southern State revenues and gain a larger slice of the pie.

It doesn't mean that Foxtel suddenly doesnt like league or is going to reduce it's commitment to league. It just means they want to raise the number of subscribers in areas that arent currently buying. The real obstacle Foxtel faces is the fact that AFL is already widely shown on FTA - if this remains to be the case then Foxtel is hardly going to increase is subscription levels without buying a higher percentage of the AFL live coverage.

This is the real danger to Rugby League. If the AFL are successful in getting Foxtel to pay more in the future for its content then Fox may wish to cut back on its funding of League.

For the record, I'm not certain that an AFL dedicated channel will be a danger. They have had one before with a very similar format to the new one being proposed but it failed. With the game unsuited in many respects to television and so many games on FTA anyway I cant see them making it a success this time round.

What I want to know is why Foxtel paid big bucks to AFL? Who was bidding against them?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What I want to know is why Foxtel paid big bucks to AFL? Who was bidding against them?

No one but they were negotiating with an organisation that knows how to get top $ for its product.
Fox wants better subscription rates in AFL states, AFL knew that for Fox to acheive this they would need every game live, that was the bargaining chip that made Fox cough up. The really good dealing on the AFL's part was convincing FTA to pay as much as they did despite not getting exclusivity to any game.

Accroding to this 1/3 of Australia has access to Fox
http://www.frostglobal.com/?p=663

matrightyeh

Juniors
yes think your right
happy.gif
happy.gif
happy.gif

happy.gif

El Diablo

Post Whore
Fox have plenty of room for growth in Brisbane if they get a second Bris team and more Broncos games

the Broncos rate high in Brisbane yet not very high on pay and that is probably because just about all their games are on FTA so fans don't need pay

docbrown

Coach
Fox have plenty of room for growth in Brisbane if they get a second Bris team and more Broncos games

the Broncos rate high in Brisbane yet not very high on pay and that is probably because just about all their games are on FTA so fans don't need pay

Yarr.

franklin2323

Immortal
I dont think i could stomach 5 different shows talking about virtually the same thing every night.

You can do it easily mid week classic games have themes eg classic finishes, upsets etc. NRL on Fox Wed. Possiblity return NRL tactics on Thurs night. With a show dedicated to the overseas comps ESL/US/PNG etc with Guests eg Matt Elliott as coach of USA.

Sat Morning replay those programs. Fri night's games. ESL. then as per normal. Sun morning NSW & QLD cups & ESL from the day before. Mon replay the weekend's games. Tuesday replay the lower grades/ESL games.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
I love what the AFL and Foxsports are doing for their code. I hope that one day we will see the same for the NRL and Super League here in Australia.

Tom Shines

First Grade
Just saw the extended ad for Fox Footy. There's going to be SEVEN separate panel shows.

AFL 360, Before the Bounce, On the Couch, The Guest List, AFL Teams and some other bullshit.

Surely that's overkill in anyone's language?

Lambretta

First Grade

Did Foxtel actually pay money to the AFL for the rights to have a channel dedicated to AFL?

Does anyone have details of the additional funding Foxtel has agreed to pay the AFL for the right to have a dedicated AFL channel, if anything at all.

But if Foxtel did, it would be to strengthen it's bargaining position with the AFL the next time the rights come up.

Chip Bayless

Juniors
Just saw the extended ad for Fox Footy. There's going to be SEVEN separate panel shows.

AFL 360, Before the Bounce, On the Couch, The Guest List, AFL Teams and some other bullshit.

Surely that's overkill in anyone's language?

Perhaps. No different to the NFL and it seems to work. AFL is a religion for some. It can work.

Latest posts