What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Sports Streaming

no name

Coach
I can’t remember the last time I watched a non-sport channel on Foxtel.
I don’t have HD in my package, this will be $20 cheaper a month and you can Chromecast it.
Netflix and Spotify for movies and music.
I think I’ll be ringing Telstra tomorrow.

franklin2323

Immortal
I got the trial up and running today.
Couple of things:

1) Internet can be typically unreliable, I don't want to be halfway through a game and have my internet drop out.
2) Comparing the quality between Foxtel's current streaming service and Kayo shows a very noticeable difference - Kayo wasn't holding up.

I think it's my definite option for the future, just a few things that need to improve.

Yeah all things needing fixing

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Got rid of Foxtel a few years ago because I worked out I would occasionally watch 5 out of 38 non-sport channels.

This is interesting, but as it's been so long I've adapted and found alternate ways to watch sports.

Will wait to see how quickly they work out the bugs before deciding what to do with this.

franklin2323

Immortal
Got rid of Foxtel a few years ago because I worked out I would occasionally watch 5 out of 38 non-sport channels.

This is interesting, but as it's been so long I've adapted and found alternate ways to watch sports.

Will wait to see how quickly they work out the bugs before deciding what to do with this.

Case in point.

You can watch NRL App on iPhone even sourced.

Works ok on the Xbox though

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    613.1 KB · Views: 11

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
f**k yeah, all over this. Knowing the merkins at Foxtel they'll jack the prices after everyone migrates but as long as it's 25 bucks, I'm game.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I currently stream Fox Sports through Foxtel Now. I'll be dropping it today for Kayo considering it is much cheaper for the same content.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...a/news-story/a4709feb50962a3bb5cf86d81f0c20db

A streaming service dubbed “the Netflix of sports” has launched today, with its boss promising it would fill “a gap” in the Australian market and revolutionise the way we stream sport this summer.

Kayo sports, which was the brainchild of Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany, will offer live and on-demand video from more than 50 sports including cricket, rugby league, AFL, motorsport, basketball, tennis, and golf from Australia and abroad.

Users will even be able to watch up to four sports on a screen at once, or choose to view sports with “no spoilers”.

The streaming service will go up against offerings from Netflix and Stan, which don’t offer sports coverage, and Foxtel Now, which charges $4 more for sports access.

Kayo Sports chief executive Julian Ogrin said the new service was designed to plug a void in the market for Australian sports fans who wanted to access a huge range of sports in a convenient, stream-as-you-go manner.

“There’s a gap in the Australian market for a really convenient sports service,” Mr Ogrin said.

“This is unprecedented. We don’t think there’s anywhere in the world where you can have a service with over 50 sports available in one location.”

Kayo sports will stream live games, highlight packages, and news, as well as allowing users to stream post-match interviews and view statistics.

Users on smartphones will be able to stream two matches side-by-side in “SplitView,” but those on larger screens will be able to see up to four sports at once using the feature.

Mr Ogrin said the technology had already been well received during its three weeks in beta testing, and the service had the potential to change the way sports fans follow their favourite pursuits.

“We believe we are redefining sports streaming in Australia,” he said.

“Streaming is very much a fast-growing market — over 40 per cent of Australians have a streaming subscription service. We identified there was a real opportunity to bring in a convenience product just for sport.”

Kayo sports is available today across multiple devices, including Apple and Google smartphones, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and web browsers, and will launch on Telstra TV set-top boxes tomorrow. The service, at kayosports.com.au, will cost $25 monthly to access two streams at once or $35 to get it on three devices.

A full list of sports streamed through service is available here.

v2

m29IG.gif

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is going to kill their Fox subscriptions lol.

The streaming service will go up against offerings from Netflix and Stan, which don’t offer sports coverage

Not sure how you can say its going up against two services with different offerings?

I wonder if down the track the split screen options mean we could see two or more NRL games being screened live at the same time?

johnny plath

Juniors
https://www.news.com.au/technology/...a/news-story/a4709feb50962a3bb5cf86d81f0c20db

A streaming service dubbed “the Netflix of sports” has launched today, with its boss promising it would fill “a gap” in the Australian market and revolutionise the way we stream sport this summer.

Kayo sports, which was the brainchild of Foxtel chief executive Patrick Delany, will offer live and on-demand video from more than 50 sports including cricket, rugby league, AFL, motorsport, basketball, tennis, and golf from Australia and abroad.

Users will even be able to watch up to four sports on a screen at once, or choose to view sports with “no spoilers”.

The streaming service will go up against offerings from Netflix and Stan, which don’t offer sports coverage, and Foxtel Now, which charges $4 more for sports access.

Kayo Sports chief executive Julian Ogrin said the new service was designed to plug a void in the market for Australian sports fans who wanted to access a huge range of sports in a convenient, stream-as-you-go manner.

“There’s a gap in the Australian market for a really convenient sports service,” Mr Ogrin said.

“This is unprecedented. We don’t think there’s anywhere in the world where you can have a service with over 50 sports available in one location.”

Kayo sports will stream live games, highlight packages, and news, as well as allowing users to stream post-match interviews and view statistics.

Users on smartphones will be able to stream two matches side-by-side in “SplitView,” but those on larger screens will be able to see up to four sports at once using the feature.

Mr Ogrin said the technology had already been well received during its three weeks in beta testing, and the service had the potential to change the way sports fans follow their favourite pursuits.

“We believe we are redefining sports streaming in Australia,” he said.

“Streaming is very much a fast-growing market — over 40 per cent of Australians have a streaming subscription service. We identified there was a real opportunity to bring in a convenience product just for sport.”

Kayo sports is available today across multiple devices, including Apple and Google smartphones, Apple TV, Google Chromecast, and web browsers, and will launch on Telstra TV set-top boxes tomorrow. The service, at kayosports.com.au, will cost $25 monthly to access two streams at once or $35 to get it on three devices.

A full list of sports streamed through service is available here.

v2

View attachment 25243
I'm not tech savvy, but by fluke I have ended up with a smart tv, I think it uses android operating system. Netflix works on it without any add ons, web browser, ets... so would it be likely that Kayo would be directly accessible on my tv? I looked up compatible devices on their site, but it wasn't clear to me. thanks

beave

Coach
I'm not tech savvy, but by fluke I have ended up with a smart tv, I think it uses android operating system. Netflix works on it without any add ons, web browser, ets... so would it be likely that Kayo would be directly accessible on my tv? I looked up compatible devices on their site, but it wasn't clear to me. thanks

yes, it should be. either go to the kayo website from the TV’s internet browser or download the app/widget when it’s available

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One issue I think that's not well discussed about a service like this - typically your Foxtel cable or satellite signal is about 1-2 seconds behind real-time when it comes to a live broadcast. Any streaming service like this will be 10-30 seconds behind real-time. If you use social media or have apps that notify you about scores, this is actually a negative of streaming.

Perth Red

Post Whore
One issue I think that's not well discussed about a service like this - typically your Foxtel cable or satellite signal is about 1-2 seconds behind real-time when it comes to a live broadcast. Any streaming service like this will be 10-30 seconds behind real-time. If you use social media or have apps that notify you about scores, this is actually a negative of streaming.

An easy problem to fix Id have thought lol

AJB1102

First Grade

Simple rule at my place: phones down, beers up. Footy and friends or facebook alone merkin, your call.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Simple rule at my place: phones down, beers up. Footy and friends or facebook alone merkin, your call.
Sorry I didn't realise we all had to watch sport the same way as you. My bad.