What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Sports Streaming

AJB1102

First Grade
Sorry I didn't realise we all had to watch sport the same way as you. My bad.

Seriously but checking scores is not "watching sport".

If you wanna watch footy on delay while getting live updates go for it. Live updates are easily avoidable though. I don't see how this is a problem with streaming delays. If I watch a game after its finished and don't wanna know the result I ignore the phone for 80 minutes.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seriously but checking scores is not "watching sport".

If you wanna watch footy on delay while getting live updates go for it. Live updates are easily avoidable though. I don't see how this is a problem with streaming delays. If I watch a game after its finished and don't wanna know the result I ignore the phone for 80 minutes.
That's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. I even agree with your last sentence, if I'm watching something I know is a delayed telecast I'll usually do the same.

However, if I wish to have a social media feed open during a game that's my prerorgative - so if I prioritise having cable or satellite TV rather than a 15-30 second delayed stream, then I'll go with that. That's why I'm hesitant to look at live streaming services known they're not truly live.

beave

Coach
i have the NBN but I’m wary of it dropping out when I least want it ie. when Benny Barba is streaking away for another 80m try.......

Timbo

Staff member
One issue I think that's not well discussed about a service like this - typically your Foxtel cable or satellite signal is about 1-2 seconds behind real-time when it comes to a live broadcast. Any streaming service like this will be 10-30 seconds behind real-time. If you use social media or have apps that notify you about scores, this is actually a negative of streaming.

I’ve noticed that with the cricket. I’ve got the streaming Fox Sports on the NBN, it’s great but the Fox Sports Cricket app was giving me push-notices of wickets falling as the bowler was at the top of his mark to deliver the ball. I turned off notifications and it’s fine.

Timmah

Staff member
I’ve noticed that with the cricket. I’ve got the streaming Fox Sports on the NBN, it’s great but the Fox Sports Cricket app was giving me push-notices of wickets falling as the bowler was at the top of his mark to deliver the ball. I turned off notifications and it’s fine.
I think for now I'll stick with the cable plugged into my house :wink:

no name

Coach
I’m pretty sure that the ‘lag’ was mentioned in a recent article, stating that it is around a 10 second lag.
I dunno that a 10 second lag would be a ‘spoiler’ for me.

Timbo

Staff member
I think for now I'll stick with the cable plugged into my house :wink:

I would prefer that, but it's not an option for me. Since I moved onto the NBN, the streaming is fantastic. Back on my old shitty ADSL2 connection it was like watching it through a blizzard.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Er, how?

If your answer is the dopiest version of "herrr derrr get off social media" then try again.

yep, get off live game score sites whilst watching a game if you dont want to know what happens in 10seconds time lol. Heck we have some first world problem people in Australia!

Timmah

Staff member
yep, get off live game score sites whilst watching a game if you dont want to know what happens in 10seconds time lol. Heck we have some first world problem people in Australia!
Congratulations on ignoring the entire subsequent discussion, clown.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Congratulations on ignoring the entire subsequent discussion, clown.

Congratulations on sounding like some spoilt millennial who believes that not being able to see a live score website and watch a live game at the same time is some major life hardship. clown.

Timmah

Staff member
Congratulations on sounding like some spoilt millennial who believes that not being able to see a live score website and watch a live game at the same time is some major life hardship. clown.
I don't believe that. I currently have a choice between what mechanisms I access sport and I'm choosing the one I currently have over the new model.

That's my prerogative and I don't think it's a major life hardship, I'm having a legitimate discussion about it on an open forum. Jog on if you don't like it.

Incorrect

Coach
To be fair, that only happens when the Marsh brothers are batting cause the dude's typing in the live action for those apps just assumed they were about to get out anyway.... Nothing to do with any lag....

VictoryFC

Bench
I don't believe that. I currently have a choice between what mechanisms I access sport and I'm choosing the one I currently have over the new model.

That's my prerogative and I don't think it's a major life hardship, I'm having a legitimate discussion about it on an open forum. Jog on if you don't like it.

As someone who watches almost all their sport through streaming, it's actually funny to see that there are people defending it. Streaming, on the whole, is a step back from what is available through satellite. It is certainly the future, in particular because it is cheaper for the consumer, but anyone (like PR) who doesn't see that in many cases it's a regression of what has been available for a long time is misguided.

It's a bit like saying, 'why are you so worried about cameras being on every street corner and in your house...it shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide' PR's comments completely miss the point. Until streaming is as live as satellite, and the picture is as crisp as HD without hiccups, it's an inferior product to what exists, made only palatable by the price entry point.

franklin2323

Immortal
As someone who watches almost all their sport through streaming, it's actually funny to see that there are people defending it. Streaming, on the whole, is a step back from what is available through satellite. It is certainly the future, in particular because it is cheaper for the consumer, but anyone (like PR) who doesn't see that in many cases it's a regression of what has been available for a long time is misguided.

It's a bit like saying, 'why are you so worried about cameras being on every street corner and in your house...it shouldn't bother you if you have nothing to hide' PR's comments completely miss the point. Until streaming is as live as satellite, and the picture is as crisp as HD without hiccups, it's an inferior product to what exists, made only palatable by the price entry point.

While all this is true. A vast majority of people that steam can't watch the sport live. US sports are a good example of this. In this case a few Timeslots are hard with kids. So the on demand side of this is great

Timmah

Staff member

Nah it's easier just to rag on 'millenials' or some bullshit, rather than discuss the genuine issues surrounding this.

beave

Coach
pros and cons for both.

I’m not as active on social
media as I once was, I’ll probably cut the IQ4 I currently use away and go for Kayo as the delay doesn’t really bother me but each to their own.

I have NFL game pass and it is the tits. Whilst a different product, if Kayo can get some old NQ games from the last 15-20 years, along with the standard content from all the fox sports channels, it will be enough to keep me happy.

franklin2323

Immortal
pros and cons for both.

I’m not as active on social
media as I once was, I’ll probably cut the IQ4 I currently use away and go for Kayo as the delay doesn’t really bother me but each to their own.

I have NFL game pass and it is the tits. Whilst a different product, if Kayo can get some old NQ games from the last 15-20 years, along with the standard content from all the fox sports channels, it will be enough to keep me happy.

I used to free trial on the desktop. The App I am sure has more features but it seemed to have everything. The thing for me was the option to tune in to the game live or watch it from the start. That is good for when I want to watch the 6pm Friday game after dinner.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
One issue I think that's not well discussed about a service like this - typically your Foxtel cable or satellite signal is about 1-2 seconds behind real-time when it comes to a live broadcast. Any streaming service like this will be 10-30 seconds behind real-time. If you use social media or have apps that notify you about scores, this is actually a negative of streaming.

So far lag between analogue radio (ABC Cricket) and Kayo is approx 6-8 seconds. This is comparable to the difference between radio and FTA TV.

The Kayo feed actually displays the time difference on their display, which has proven quite accurate when paired with the radio coverage.

Crippler

Juniors
Even the big screen at the game lags badly since they used hd signal

Like to watch a conversion or something from sideline you can hear the crowd cheer before you see it happen on the screen

Wish they went back to sd Signal which was almost instant

Latest posts