What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frank Puletua released.

Stagger eel

Staff member
no link but just announced in the 2UE news bulleton.

I actually heard a month or so back that he's Tigers bound...we'll soon see if it's true.

RainMan

Juniors
Looks like the Titans have suddenly found some extra money to throw at Turner. I bet Turner will now want to repay the Titans for their loyalty :roll:

ocko

juniors
i was told last week it was going to happen, that they were going to release him on compassionate grounds, and he was going to go back to Penrith.

He's a horsesh*t player anyway, no big deal.

choc_soldier

Coach
Pantherjim. said:
:roll: you obviously don't watch too much Rugby League.

Obviously he hasn't. One of the most improved players in the NRL over the past couple of seasons. Our forward depth looks a bit better now with his return.

cainen

Juniors
No he's not. He used to have issues with ball control. Now he's fixed that and is a top player.

Charlie124

First Grade
I love it that this has happend and itll just burn Steve Turner more when he doesnt get a release.

Simo

First Grade
Anyone know what the reason was that he managed to be released after Turner seems to be getting nowhere? Is this why turner also tried the compasionate grounds thing a week or so ago?

Pierced Soul

First Grade
I assume that the titans see turner as a more valuable asset than puletua

I really cant see what the titans are trying to do withh turner. the bloke obviously doesnt want to go there, if he eventually gets there i cnat see him being able to put all this behind him and give them 100%

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Pierced Soul said:
I assume that the titans see turner as a more valuable asset than puletua
Interesting assumption.
More likely is that Turner's circumstances aren't good enough reason to walk away from a contract.
Obviously Puletua's circumstances are quite different.

Pierced Soul said:
I really cant see what the titans are trying to do withh turner. the bloke obviously doesnt want to go there, if he eventually gets there i cnat see him being able to put all this behind him and give them 100%
Probably best for one of the many Turner threads, but its about contracts and agreements. If Turner wants to play, the offer is there. How he responds on the field is a matter between him and the coaching staff.

The Colonel

Immortal
Puletua let go, but not Turner
By James Hooper
November 28, 2006 GOLD Coast coach John Cartwright has defended the Titans' decision to release Frank Puletua on "compassionate grounds" despite refusing to budge on the controversial Steve Turner contract fiasco.

Denying the move was double standards, Cartwright said the Titans were fully aware of Puletua's reluctance to head north midway through last season.

"I've been aware of it for a while. It got to the stage where Frank was going to retire," Cartwright said.

Puletua has "extenuating family circumstances" surrounding his decision and will remain playing in the NRL with Penrith.

But the Titans will continue to take a hardline stance against Turner, who has been the subject of a tug of war between the Gold Coast and Melbourne.

"Steve Turner hasn't given us any compassionate reasons at all other than he's got cold feet," Cartwright said.

"Frank's is a family-related issue and I can guarantee you if I was in the same position I would do exactly the same thing myself.

"If people come to that conclusion (double standards) without knowing the circumstances then that's a pretty narrow-minded view."

Turner is refusing to join the Gold Coast and is prepared to launch legal action or sit out the 2007 season.

The grand final winger said yesterday his stance had not changed despite NRL chief executive David Gallop brokering a meeting with Turner and Gold Coast supremos last week.

"Nothing has changed for me but I'll be interested to hear the reasons why Frank has been allowed a release but the Titans won't let me have one," Turner said.

Turner's agent David Riolo said his client's case had turned into a power struggle between Gold Coast chief executive Michael Searle and Melbourne counterpart Brian Waldron.

The Titans signed Canberra forward Kris Kahler in September to compensate for the anticipated loss of Puletua.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,20830047-23214,00.html