What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frawley out

thickos

First Grade
[font=Verdana,Arial]Frawley to miss Brisbane clash[/font]
[font=Verdana,Arial] By Peter Fitzgerald Rugby League [/font]
[font=Verdana, arial]Friday, 10 June 2005[/font]

[font=verdana,arial] The Raiders are likely to be without winger Craig Frawley for tomorrow night's round 14 NRL clash against the Broncos at Canberra Stadium.

Frawley sprained his right ankle during Canberra's loss to the Roosters in Gosford a fortnight ago and has failed to participate in training sessions since.

He went for a run yesterday on the Raiders' training-free day and said his ankle "felt OK". He will have one final chance this morning to prove his fitness to coach Matt Elliott but is expected to be ruled out.

In his absence, utility Matt Gafa will start on the wing and former Kiwi international Andrew Lomu will make his senior debut for the club, coming off the bench.

Frawley's latest injury is another in a long list this season for the former Bronco. The 24-year-old injured his calf in Canberra's round four match against the Dragons, and has since had surgery on his right knee after tearing cartilage during a training mishap a fortnight later.

He made his long-awaited return against the Roosters but suffered the ankle injury while defending in the 20th minute.

He remained on the field for the remainder of the match but was in constant pain and failed to make any impact.

"I really want to play [tomorrow] because I haven't played that much but I'm going to just have to wait and see how it feels," Frawley said last night.

"At this stage I'd say I'm ruled out unless I tell Matt [Elliott] I can play but we're halfway through the season now so I really have to get myself right."

Frawley has been restricted to the gymnasium since suffering the injury but is hopeful of a return when the Raiders travel to the Sydney Showground to take on the Bulldogs next weekend.

"It's never ending," he said of his unfortunate sideline stint of 2005.

"I couldn't believe it when I did it. I thought 'Oh no, what now?'."

Frawley's expected withdrawal has paved the way for Lomu to make his debut for the club. Lomu only arrived in Canberra last Thursday, after being released from the Cronulla Sharks and signed by the Raiders, and is still living in a motel while looking for a permanent base.

The former Sydney Roosters premiership- winning player has only played three senior games for the Sharks this year. He played for the Raiders' Premier League side that beat the Tigers last weekend, but never expected to be playing first grade so soon.

"Everything's happened so fast," Lomu said yesterday. "I just really want to repay the belief the club's put in me by signing me up and putting me in the team."

Lomu will rotate with fellow front-rowers Troy Thompson, Michael Hodgson and Josh Miller as they attempt to outmuscle the Shane Webcke-led Brisbane forward pack.

Lomu - who has played one Test for New Zealand - has played against Webcke at both club level and Test level.

He is confident the Raiders' forwards can win the battle up front and lay the platform for the halves to dominate.

"You've got a good mix up front. There's the workhorses like Josh Miller and Alan Tongue and then you've got the senior players who bring a lot of experience to the side. I think every side needs that right mix of youth and experience and I'm really happy with the way our pack is shaping for this weekend."

Meanwhile, the Broncos have bunkered themselves in camp for an extra 24 hours as they attempt to forge an impenetrable bond ahead of Saturday's clash.

The Broncos organised an extra night in Canberra to help adjust to the wholesale changes forced upon them by the unavailability of six Queensland players on State of Origin duty. Brisbane usually travels the day before an away game but over the past couple of seasons has arrived in Canberra earlier to help players adjust to the cooler conditions.

The squad will also use the additional night together as a way of forging closer ties with Broncos coach Wayne Bennett, who has six teenagers in his side.

Eighteen-year-olds Karmichael Hunt, Leon Bott and Steven Michaels will be joined by 19-year-olds Berrick Barnes, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Sam Thaiday in a relatively experienced Brisbane side.

Bennett has included only one debutant in his side with Michaels named on the wing just a fortnight after starring for the Queensland under-19s.

Michaels, an Australian schoolboy representative last year, scored two tries for the Maroons in the lead-up game to Origin I.

Barnes was equally impressive and has been in scintillating form for feeder club Toowoomba in the Queensland Cup.
[/font]

legend

Coach
Typical Frawley. Dud signing of the year so far. Has added nothing and is more injury prone than Michael Weyman, if that's possible.

ausraider

Juniors
legend said:
Typical Frawley. Dud signing of the year so far. Has added nothing and is more injury prone than Michael Weyman, if that's possible.

This is the reason why Iam all for Ale to tried in the centres with Howell on the wing.If we don't try Ale while he is hot with confidene high than we will end up like Carney confidence shot (thanks Matt Elliot)
Ale is big and strong knows how to score tries and so from what I have heard and seen during Roosters days knows how to defend.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, I actually saw Frawley getting a scan at a Deakin medical centre on Tuesday and wondered if there was something going on - but I just thought it was a follow up to his multitude of other problems as he wasn't limping or anything. And I thought Weyman was bad.

Boing Boing

Juniors
ausraider said:
This is the reason why Iam all for Ale to tried in the centres with Howell on the wing.If we don't try Ale while he is hot with confidene high than we will end up like Carney confidence shot (thanks Matt Elliot)
Ale is big and strong knows how to score tries and so from what I have heard and seen during Roosters days knows how to defend.

Honestly, people sit on here and complain that Elliott was not giving Carney a go and then when he does, and plays poorly for 3 weeks straight, it's Elliott's fault for lowering his confidence.

Honestly. That's pathetic.

woodgers

Bench
benmeyer said:
Honestly, people sit on here and complain that Elliott was not giving Carney a go and then when he does, and plays poorly for 3 weeks straight, it's Elliott's fault for lowering his confidence.

Carney didn't play poorly for 3 weeks straight, he played poorly against the Tigers in a match where his forward pack got destoyed, besides that he has showed enough in every game he has come off the bench.

I will argue this till the death, Elliott is responsible for why players are held back for so long when better coaches have the mindset that if you are good enough, you're old enough.

"I couldn't believe it when I did it. I thought 'Oh no, what now?'."
Yeah, you thought 'oh no, what now'. The look on my face when I read the topic would have been worse.

ausraider

Juniors
benmeyer said:

Mate I wasn't even close to bagging Carney but I will give little fault to Elliott.I know he will come good but when he was going gangbusters in PL he should have been given his chance not warming the bench and when the game was gone ask him (19 yo) to create miricles.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Ausraider,

It wasn't a shot at you in any way, it is just that most bad sentiment is directed at Elliott, for what ever reason.

woodgers

Bench
dubby said:
honesly woodgers, could you do better?change your name to "whinger".

I probably could do better you know. I will consider your other suggested name change.

legend

Coach
I'm no great fan of Elliott either as I believe he relies on a perfect scenario system to win games i.e all marquee players on deck and when they get injured, it's just a matter of go out there and do your best boys.

Our last three losses were all winnable games but the lack of skill shown by some players in tight situations has left me scratching my head and hurling things at the tv on more than one occasion.

azza

Juniors
When he left Robertson on the bench until the last 10 minutes of the Roosters match I was spewing. First of all, it is not as if Robbo offers much from the bench. But then to use him for only 10 minutes?

The other thing which annoys me is his continual "I have to look at our preparation" when the team shows up and plays with a poor attitude (eg Tigers game), yet it continues to happen and no answers are found.

On the plus side, he is probably better than most coaches at bringing the best out of a group of players with limited talent.

See, you may not like the coach getting bagged but that's part of his position. And right now, Elliot has not shown he has the same ability to bring through young talent as have some of the other coaches in the competition.

legend

Coach
I have no problem with a coach failing but so long as he fails trying to achieve but a protectionist policy the Raiders use stifles development and encourages mediocrity IMO.

Raider_69

Post Whore
legend said:
I have no problem with a coach failing but so long as he fails trying to achieve but a protectionist policy the Raiders use stifles development and encourages mediocrity IMO.

agreed, thought i wouldnt say encourage mediocrity, IMO it appears from an outsiders veiw and probably to the players as well we accept mediocrity

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I think there are too many comparisons being made between 1st Grade players and Premier League players. Sure Jermaine Ale and Todd Carney carve up in reserves but that is no basis on how they can handle 1sts. Jason Bulgrarelli and Matt Gafa carved up in premier league in 2003 but they weren't able to show close to this sort of form in first grade. I'll admit I'm impressed by what I see from Carney and Ale in premier league but you can't just chuck these inexperienced players into first grade as a quick fix and expect them to perform. As for people bagging Frawley for being injured.............grow up! Sh*t happens, it's not his or Elliott's or Managements fault that he gets injured.

Stuart

Juniors
Whenever the PL first grade thing comes up people always name the failures. What about Chalk, very little first grade experience and he is playing extremely well. This season the same thing could be said for Kahler and Miller both had very little first grade experience at the start of the season and both are performing. Howell, very little first grade and has shown he is up to first grade standard. Ale is in very good form, he deserves a run in firsts while he is in good form.

Matt Gafa carved up in premier league in 2003 but they weren't able to show close to this sort of form in first grade.

Then why is he persisted with over an inform Ale who may be able to step up and carve up first grade?

ausraider

Juniors
Stuart said:
Whenever the PL first grade thing comes up people always name the failures. What about Chalk, very little first grade experience and he is playing extremely well. This season the same thing could be said for Kahler and Miller both had very little first grade experience at the start of the season and both are performing. Howell, very little first grade and has shown he is up to first grade standard. Ale is in very good form, he deserves a run in firsts while he is in good form.

Then why is he persisted with over an inform Ale who may be able to step up and carve up first grade?

Good call Stuart.This is what I have been saying while he is hot with high confidence try him in FG if he is up for it he will handle and probably kick on from there.No good when the side is getting bashed around you throw him in the deep end.thats not confidence builder thats cold blood murder. if you know what I mean.

ausraider said:
Good call Stuart.This is what I have been saying while he is hot with high confidence try him in FG if he is up for it he will handle and probably kick on from there.No good when the side is getting bashed around you throw him in the deep end.thats not confidence builder thats cold blood murder. if you know what I mean.

Where are you going to play Ale? Push Graham out of the side, who is finding his feet? Or Howell, who showed against the Knights how valuable he could be in defence in the centres? Then there is Mogg, who is a favourite of the coach, Ale is young, and has to wait for his opportunity, it will come.

And the club does neither accept nor encourage mediocrity. Tyran Smith is on the way out, they have finally come around :thumb

Latest posts