What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy Or Joey?

who is better?

• Joey Johns

Votes: 117 71.3%
  • Freddy Fittler

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • they are both great in their own ways none is better

Votes: 19 11.6%

• Total voters

Balmain_Boy

Red and Blue Knight said:
I've been privileged to have watched Johns play since he was a 17 year old running around in our lower grades. I doubt i'll, indeed any league fan, will ever see a player quite as complete and dominate as Johns.

And he does it for more then 3 games a year...

Aren't you only 20 odd?

Balmain_Boy

Jordan said:
Johns.

They both have that aura about them though.

I'd agree with the aura comment. There is no doubt that both were/are of utmost importance to the team, often indirectly inspiring them to greater things. Fantastic players.

Red Bear

Referee
Tough one. I personally prefferred Freddy, he was a complete player, but then Joey is just brilliant and probly the best i've seen.

Freddy was a better leader than Johns tho (IMO). I miss seeing him run around.

And whoever said 3 games a year has rocks in there head.

Pigskin, freddy was better than pretty much anyone queensland has produced.

RABK

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Aren't you only 20 odd?

I am 19. You were blind at the age of 5 or something?

GoTheBears said:
And whoever said 3 games a year has rocks in there head.

That was me and it was a light hearted jibe at the Lewis supporters, not Fittler.

Red Bear

Referee

That was me and it was a light hearted jibe at the Lewis supporters, not Fittler.
i'd come close to agreeing with you re lewis:)

Billy Gunn

Juniors
Both Greats of the game and for that matter could take any game and change the outcome by their contributions alone.

If I had to pick though Johns would be ahead as he has current players copying his plays and especially his kicking game.

I would have Wally on equal footing with Freddy and when it comes to SOO the King was the best he dominated SOO for years.

John's game last year was the best single performance of any player of any match I have ever seen - non come close

Balmain_Boy

Settle princess. I could see, but I sure as sh*t can't remember our juniors from 1989 despite my old man assuring we went. That's all I'm saying.

RABK

Referee
Balmain_Boy said:
Settle princess. I could see, but I sure as sh*t can't remember our juniors from 1989 despite my old man assuring we went. That's all I'm saying.

I remember seeing the Johns boys, Kimmorley, Paul Harragon etc all before they become established first graders.

Mr Saab

Referee
Seeing as Harragon was established in 1992 when he made his origin debut, and that was 14 yrs ago, then you would had to have been 2-3 in 1990 when he was "just another 1st grader".
Sorry, but no one remembers anything at that age.

Johns is overall a better player than Fittler was, however some aspects of fittlers game were better than Joeys. Fittlers running game, especially close to the line was at times, unstopabale. When he received a short pass close to the line and he steamed onto it with only a couple of defenders to beat, 9 times out of 10 he would get over the line, using his leg strength and huge step.

He was never the playmaker joey is, but I think he was a better 5/8 than Joey could have ever been. Fittler and Johns is IMO the perfect halves combination, and I would even go as far as to say the best halves combination of all time, closely followed by Stuart and Daley.

RABK

Referee
I was 4.

I do remember seeing Harragon play, but perhaps i should have said before he became one of the games top players. It was a very sudden rise to the top for him, as no one would have predicted Origin for him during the 91 season.

The point still stands though, that is just your arrogant self trying to have a swipe at me.

Danger

Juniors
Johns is the best player our generation will ever see, freddy was good but has nothing on john's.

Mr Saab

Referee
Harragon debuted in 1992 for origin for a start.
I am not having a go at you in an arrogant way, just point out some things that dont make sense.

Raiders Plight

Juniors
waltzing Meninga said:
Johns is overall a better player than Fittler was, however some aspects of fittlers game were better than Joeys. Fittlers running game, especially close to the line was at times, unstopabale. When he received a short pass close to the line and he steamed onto it with only a couple of defenders to beat, 9 times out of 10 he would get over the line, using his leg strength and huge step.

He was never the playmaker joey is, but I think he was a better 5/8 than Joey could have ever been. Fittler and Johns is IMO the perfect halves combination, and I would even go as far as to say the best halves combination of all time, closely followed by Stuart and Daley.

Fittler/Johns don't have a great record playing together. Not for NSW anyway.

RABK

Referee
What would there head to head be?

Fittler generally killed the Knights especially in recent years but Johns wasn't playing in a lot of those games. I'd imagine Johns would have won most of the games 94-99.

Raiders Plight said:
Fittler/Johns don't have a great record playing together. Not for NSW anyway.

i would say that is because most of the time when they played together Fittler would have been at lock and they would have been playing against a far superior QLD forward pack during that time with the likes of Webke,Tallis etc.

RABK

Referee
I don't think Johns and Fittler actually played 5/8th and Half together a lot at all.

1995 world cup they did though didn't they, with Johns winning player of the tournament and Fittler not far behind.

In origin they might have played 95, 96 and 97, which = two series wins to the blues. Other then that i don't think they played in the halves together.