What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freddy Or Joey?

who is better?

• Joey Johns

Votes: 117 71.3%
  • Freddy Fittler

Votes: 28 17.1%
  • they are both great in their own ways none is better

Votes: 19 11.6%

• Total voters

The Business

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
Joey and by a long way. Not to say that Fittler was not a giant of the game, just that Joey is without a doubt the most dominant and bestplayer of his generation.
Yep. They are different players. It's like comparing Warne and McGrath.

Fittler was a brilliant runner while Johns is the best ball player the game has seen.

Angry_eel

First Grade
what i wanna ask is Had freddy stayed at penrith would have been better then? i mean if you are a genius player and a coach wants to build the team around you and you leave and start again its gonna be a hard task being great quickly.

Tough call...especially as was a huge wrap on Freddy since his early days. Very different players and both became better as they matured also. Joey is now pretty much the complete half back, and as Tommy mentioned, Freddy in 02-04 was hands down the best captain in the game and WAS the Roosters.

I would lean toward Joey, mainly because of some of the way he can bring others into games and make ordinary players seem very good (reference almost every Newcastle player that has a premiership ring or rep jumper in the last 12 years).

Comparing Freddy and Daley is a better argument, and I would go for Fittler, being more complete IMO. Big question is who would I pick at 5/8, Lewis or Fittler? Probably Lewis, Fittler at lock, Brad Clyde in the 2nd row, Joey at half. Brett Kenny with Meninga in the centres and Locky at fullback, although the centres could be chopped and changed a thousand ways

Alba

Coach
well *prints* .. im gonna take this to work and post it up on the roster board .. me and another guy were saying Joey and 2 other guys were saying Freddy but saying that he sh*ts all over Joey and thats what got us all wound up .. so we have spread the debate right through the workplace and now we can put it to rest!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
When both Johns and Fittler started their careers they were rated the next best thing, and ended up just as predicted.

Fittler started as a 17 year old and was good, went to play for NSW and Australia at 18 and continued on from there. Most capped NSW player and captained Australia. Fittler was good for his side stepping, kicking game, taking on the line, defence, inspiration, a good captain.

Johns started off the bench in 1993, but first started in 1994 and went on from there. Regular halfback and goal kicker for the Knights that year, was picked for Australia and NSW cause of SL, but when picked got the job done really well. Johns is good for goal kicking, taking on the line, kicking game, passing game, defence, inspiration, good captain.

I think its a tough call, both IMO are great players.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Here's a completely meaningless comparison of the two:

From 1996-2003 during their respective times at the Roosters and Knights (didnt include 04 as Johns missed nearly all of that year), their combined club records during the regular season were:

Roosters (Fittler) - 119 wins, 67 losses
Knights (Johns) - 118 wins, 67 losses

Like i said, meaningless...but a freaky comparison of their respective influence and dominance upon their own team.

OVP

Coach
This is a DUMB poll. Johns is a halfback and Freddy was a 5/8. Those two would be my half-5/8 combination FROM ANY ERA to represent Australia.

Only those very young would think this poll has merit.

How about you compare Johns and Sterling, or Fittler and Daley. Comparing Fittler and Johns is ludicrous.

PARRA_FAN said:
Johns started off the bench in 1993, but first started in 1994 and went on from there. Regular halfback and goal kicker for the Knights that year,

Interestingly replacing Matt Rodwell, who was Rookie of the year in 93 and was also considered a potential future rep player.

sydraider

First Grade
Johns is one of the best players ever to lace on a boot, yet it took him towards the twilight of his career to prove it in origin.
Fittler had been doing it for quite some time already.

Johns had the skill
Fittler had the passion.

As much as fittler used to sh*t me playing for the roosters, I miss him in the blues line up.
Not as much as I miss daley, mullins, furner, clyde and ultimately, the best halfback of the 90's Stuart!

In the end I have no arguement, I wish all were playing for the blues :lol: