What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free mobile phone? What's the catch???

jed

First Grade
Yesterday I was contacted by my mobile phone carrier, telling me that they wanted to reward me for my loyalty (I've been with them just over 5 years) by sending me a new 3G phone for free. I don't have to change the plan I'm on, don't have to change my number, the only difference is that I'll be off the current network and on their new 3G network. And the only cost to me would be the $10 to courier the phone to me.

He read through all the features on the phone (3G, mp3 player, bluetooth, video camera etc), and told me that I don't even have to use the phone myself, I'm allowed to stick it in the cupboard, give it away, use it myself... whatever I do there's no additional cost required from me.

Being skeptical that nothing's ever completely free, I've been trying to figure out their angle. Is it a clever marketing ploy to get me to tell everyone how great my network is by buttering me up with a free phone? Do they want me to tell people how great the 3G network is? Do they think I'll make all sorts of extra calls, or pay to use the extra features like video calls? Or am I missing their angle completely?

The guy who sits next to me at work said that his mate also got a call from the same company, he's loving his new phone, that there were no catches, but I can't help thinking that I'll be paying for it down the line.

melon....

Coach
Jed,

Im with the same carrier and Ive been with them for 6 years...no catch. This is teh 2nd phone Ive been "rewarded" with. Its just a loyalty program. Keep in mind though being a 3G phone, you will be tempted to use the Internet and 3G functions. This can become costly so they do win out here.

jed

First Grade
Thanks Melon, that's what I was hoping the deal was. I'm on an old $22 plan that's not been available for about 4 1/2 years, most months my bill comes in at $25-$30, so I didn't want to have to go up to one of their new plans which start at $50.

An41

Juniors
sixtynine said:
If your happy with your phone now sell the new one on ebay you will pay for calls for ages
wouldnt it be locked to voda and stuck with vodafone firmware?

Southernsaint

Staff member
jed said:
Yesterday I was contacted by my mobile phone carrier, telling me that they wanted to reward me for my loyalty (I've been with them just over 5 years) by sending me a new 3G phone for free. I don't have to change the plan I'm on, don't have to change my number, the only difference is that I'll be off the current network and on their new 3G network. And the only cost to me would be the $10 to courier the phone to me.

He read through all the features on the phone (3G, mp3 player, bluetooth, video camera etc), and told me that I don't even have to use the phone myself, I'm allowed to stick it in the cupboard, give it away, use it myself... whatever I do there's no additional cost required from me.

Being skeptical that nothing's ever completely free, I've been trying to figure out their angle. Is it a clever marketing ploy to get me to tell everyone how great my network is by buttering me up with a free phone? Do they want me to tell people how great the 3G network is? Do they think I'll make all sorts of extra calls, or pay to use the extra features like video calls? Or am I missing their angle completely?

The guy who sits next to me at work said that his mate also got a call from the same company, he's loving his new phone, that there were no catches, but I can't help thinking that I'll be paying for it down the line.

Your carrier sponsors Manchester United, don't they??

A few people at work have also had the call & upgraded. They've had no dramas. As Melon...., said - they give you the phone & hope you use the new features.

That's all...

jed

First Grade
Thanks guys.

Yeah, got the new phone, had a bit of a play around with it, loving it compared to my old model. I don't plan on using any of the new expensive features, but any time you get something "no strings attached" is good.

SP

Bench
i got called the other day by some company saying my home phone number was randomly selected and i had won a free nokia

but i didnt go along with it, thought it was just bullcrap. and i already have 2 phones

jed

First Grade
My boss is with Optus, rang them up and told them that two of her staff had been given a brand new phones by Vodafone, said that she was thinking about leaving, and the woman on the other end said "how about we send you a Nokia 8800". Might be worth a try for people who's on a monthly plan that have been connected for a few years?

I could tell from post #1 that it wasn't Telstra.

I've been with them for donkey's years and the best they can offer is some dopey prat ringing me up once every six months trying to convince me to change to a plan I don't need.

If I wasn't so bloody lazy...

Latest posts