What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Onion want Thurston

Twigg

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24046329-5016360,00.html

DUAL Dally M medallist Johnathan Thurston was the subject of a secret approach from cashed-up French rugby union last year.

Thurston's agent, Sam Ayoub, confirmed the approach, suggesting the NRL's No.1 player would consider a European switch when his North Queensland deal expires in 2010.

"There is no reason why we wouldn't consider an approach from French rugby,'' Ayoub said.

"If an opportunity became available to Johnathan, why wouldn't he consider it? We can't dismiss anything from that point of view. I actually had a call from France last year but Johnathan wanted to stay here."

"Let me make it clear that Johnathan is happy at the Cowboys and happy in rugby league. But at the end of the day, Johnathan is a professional athlete and he would naturally weigh up any option before him. If there was an offer from France, he would certainly look at it.''

Might not be true since it's w**ker Wilson. But seriously - F**k off Onions.

scuzzi

Juniors
Well the NRL has 2 years to sort itself out or else we'll probably lose the games best player

butchmcdick

Post Whore
look if at the end of his contract he wants to go then let him go.

If i was offered more cash doing a job that was easier than my current one whislt being based in France I doubt I would be hesitating at all.

Being based in townsville I can't see channel 9 or any corperates leaping on board to keep him with league. If he played for a sydney team maybe

_Johnsy

Referee
look if at the end of his contract he wants to go then let him go.

If i was offered more cash doing a job that was easier than my current one whislt being based in France I doubt I would be hesitating at all.

Being based in townsville I can't see channel 9 or any corperates leaping on board to keep him with league. If he played for a sydney team maybe

Well we all know how that turns out.

bartman

Immortal
Nothing in the article or quote suggests that Thurston is even slightly interested in going to France or to Union.

Just his manager puffing up his options and Thurston's asking price, to in turn puff up his own commission if he can get big contract offers on the table next time around.

roughyedspud

Coach
:lol:

does'nt the telegraph basically list the entire test team as being on the french union hitlist..:lol:

stuh

Juniors
Well the NRL has 2 years to sort itself out or else we'll probably lose the games best player

Lockyer will retire before then...

As for Thurston, let him go if he wants to. Maybe then Qld and Australia can have an in form halfback rather than selectors feeling obliged to pick Thurston because of the past.

Patorick

Staff member
Yeah because it's not like Thurston set up the try that won them the series or anything...

Smartman

Juniors
Where the phukk have the french been for all these years...

Why all of the sudden are they making noise for NRL players.

Poul

Juniors
Perhaps we need to "think outside the square" if we are to combat the overtures from the Vichy collaborationists of French yawnion to our NRL players.
Apparently there are only 2 places available for "foreign" players in the French yawnion competition. So, perhaps players who are approaching the ends of their careers, u.t. Darren Lockyer,(of course if he wanted to) could be offered up to French yawnion, for a massive "transfer" fee, which could be poured back into the coffers of the club (i.e. Broncos), to help develop the next "Lockyer",and also the NRL, to increase the salary cap for each club. Also, these players could extol the virtues of the NRL to the yawnionists, thereby getting some of them interested in the possibility of playing Rugby League as a short cut to making millions at the ends of their careers, and also to be able to drain more money out of French yanion into the pockets of the NRL and its clubs.

Poul

Juniors
I feel that there is a potential "win-win" for Rugby League in its dealings with the Vichy collaborationists.

NRL players reaching the ends of their careers would be able to make massive amounts of money from the yawnionists, some of which could go back into the NRL.
Wests Tigers Chris Lawrence has stated a desire to set up a Sports Academy after he finishes his Rugby League career. Perhaps he could help fund this by taking the million/s on offer from 'les collaborateurs" when he is no longer able to make it at NRL level.

shiznit

Coach
Perhaps we need to "think outside the square" if we are to combat the overtures from the Vichy collaborationists of French yawnion to our NRL players.
Apparently there are only 2 places available for "foreign" players in the French yawnion competition. So, perhaps players who are approaching the ends of their careers, u.t. Darren Lockyer,(of course if he wanted to) could be offered up to French yawnion, for a massive "transfer" fee, which could be poured back into the coffers of the club (i.e. Broncos), to help develop the next "Lockyer",and also the NRL, to increase the salary cap for each club. Also, these players could extol the virtues of the NRL to the yawnionists, thereby getting some of them interested in the possibility of playing Rugby League as a short cut to making millions at the ends of their careers, and also to be able to drain more money out of French yanion into the pockets of the NRL and its clubs.
a transfer fee would only work if they were still contracted to a club when they leave. Gower sought a release first... Rooney's contract was up & Gasnier used an option in his contract. the panthers probably could have asked for a xfer fee but i dont think a French 2nd division club would pay one for someone unknown to them.

the thing most RL fans need to understand is these french clubs arent going for old guys anymore. there paying the big bucks for established players with plenty of good football left in them... the NRL cant do anything about it.... thats what happens when you have a free market. NZ rugby have almost been crippled by these merkins and the money there throwing around... we just have to ride it out until the top 14 evens itself out again... they cant sustain this type of spending for too long or the competition will crash.

ali

Bench
Apparently a lot of it is government money from the local councils. Which I'm told is technically illegal.

But I can't see anyone stopping the Vichy scum, as the sports minister is a former coach of their national Union team.

As I've said elsewhere, the NRL needs to start raising the cap to grow the game.

Latest posts