What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friend on way out

Iafeta

Referee
Tony Kemp was back on RadioSport this morning. He was talking about the highest paid player at the warriors is Ben Matalino (which was a guess I gather).

He also said that the Australian players playing for the warriors have to be well paid, elsewise why else would you come to Auckland i.e. it doesn't offer the same lifestyle choices as in Oz, therefore the only way to keep WAGS happy was to pay heaps of cash.

Which is interesting. And as an Aussie living in NZ, I think quite true. The weather does suck unless you like constant rain and cold. And in Wellington you can add wind.

But anyway, Friend. We open up this season without him. And are absolute mud. He comes back, and the team starts to look better and now is winning games.

Co-incidence? Or are you seeing the necessity of having a good crisp dummy half pass when defences move up so quickly these days?

The Mara's, the Havilli's and maybe the Godinat's DO NOT HAVE the pass. They have a running game. TL might have the passing game and might be an option there.

Friend also make a kwazillion tackles every game. He has a classic, core hookers game.

He won't win a game, because he does not create opportunities and do the star work. But he creates the platform for those players to win games. New Zealand system does not seem to respect or appreciate the hard grafters in league. People want the shots, the steps and the runs.

In Oz, the grafter is far, far more respected than here I've noticed. Friend is an absolute case in point. The only real grafter respected here was Lucky.

Bloody annoying that our new best 13 is leaving at the end of the year. Man, is he playing well.

Kevin Campion was definitely respected. And I think some blokes who weren't out and out attacking merchants, and very reliable defenders, guys like George Gatis, Robbie Mears and Jason Death were highly regarded at the Warriors too.

spear tackle

Juniors
You were wondering where al our salary cap room had gone, the answer being used trying to sign Carney first, and now Tomkins. All this maneuvering with Friend is to get him on a reduced deal for next season.

Well if we have signed him I hope to christ he doesn't blow a knee or snap an archillies in his first game for us that would be a disaster

jaseg

Juniors
Well if we have signed him I hope to christ he doesn't blow a knee or snap an archillies in his first game for us that would be a disaster

The same concern every club with a top player has. It only really stands out if the guy has a history of knee/other major injury problems (as far as I'm aware Tomkins doesn't).

hitman82

Bench
The figures I've read (probably not legit) had us offering about 150k more a season than other offers he got. I rate him so don't mind paying decent coin to get him at all.

Fair call man. I wasn't too sure of his signing but after researching him better and watching a few games, I believe he will suit our team extremely well and more to the point, will bring something we don't currently have: a true hole-running second rower who is also very agile and hard-working. He's like a better version of Taylor.

TheDMC

Bench
Fair call man. I wasn't too sure of his signing but after researching him better and watching a few games, I believe he will suit our team extremely well and more to the point, will bring something we don't currently have: a true hole-running second rower who is also very agile and hard-working. He's like a better version of Taylor.

If we are paying 150g more for him than his oz market value, we are probably paying 75 percent overs, which is pretty massive overs....

Iafeta

Referee

True. But the way I see it with Tomkins is the Warriors are well set with Locke and Fish... and he's not here at the moment, so that's what we have, Locke and Fish.

hitman82

Bench
If we are paying 150g more for him than his oz market value, we are probably paying 75 percent overs, which is pretty massive overs....

Meh, he provides something we don;t currently have, and we have shitloads of cap space, so I don't mind if we paid a bit more than he is worth. Better than empty cap space just sitting there while we suffer terrible injury tolls every season.

spear tackle

Juniors
True. But the way I see it with Tomkins is the Warriors are well set with Locke and Fish... and he's not here at the moment, so that's what we have, Locke and Fish.

Yep after last week I am starting to change my mind on Fishiahi, I always thought Locke was/is a great player, I just hope for the money being payed it doesn't force either of those two out of the squad.

JoeD

First Grade
He also said that the Australian players playing for the warriors have to be well paid, elsewise why else would you come to Auckland i.e. it doesn't offer the same lifestyle choices as in Oz, therefore the only way to keep WAGS happy was to pay heaps of cash.

Biggest self perpetuating myth since 'those big warrior forwards are getting tired'

Specifically what lifestyle choices are not available in Auckland? How is it that Auckland consistently rates in the top 5 cities to live worldwide yet we think league players would rather live in Canberra or Townsville or Penrith? If we had a couple premierships under our belt and were a consistent top 6 team nobody would mention 'lifestyle'

Auckland4ever

Juniors
Biggest self perpetuating myth since 'those big warrior forwards are getting tired'

Specifically what lifestyle choices are not available in Auckland? How is it that Auckland consistently rates in the top 5 cities to live worldwide yet we think league players would rather live in Canberra or Townsville or Penrith? If we had a couple premierships under our belt and were a consistent top 6 team nobody would mention 'lifestyle'

Yeah. If the players are being put off, it's because of perceptions, not reality. Only Sydney and Melbourne are significantly bigger cities. The whole weather thing is blown out of proportion, too. Apparently Auckland is too cold(on average, a massive 1 - 2 degrees colder than Sydney in winter). It can be rainy, but even in the middle of winter, there's still a fair amount of dry days. Describing it as "constantly raining", like someone did before, is an exaggeration.

In the long run, our failure to attract top line Aussies isn't necessarily the worst thing in the world. It means that whoever runs the club has no choice but to take a vested interest in the development of local players rather than resting on the laurels of an open chequebook.

vvvrulz

Coach
I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently he made comments about Sonny Fai's passing that weren't seen in the best light. He was probably trying to deal with it in his own way but offended a chunk of the team so he (and the club I guess) didn't see a future here.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but do you reckon this could have been Michael Witt and not Fien? From memory Fien was around for about half the season but Witt was dropped quickly and disappeared very early on with barely any explanation.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Maybe, I can't remember the details but either Witt or Fien would make a bit of sense.

I thought Witt's demotion was Cleary's revenge for not putting the ball down sooner against the Storm. :sarcasm:

Latest posts