What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Friend on way out

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Isn't this obsession with TL playing hooker a bit OTT? I know he's played well there for the Kiwis but wasn't that just a stop-gap and hasn't he actually been a 6 or 7 his whole career? Did he actually have an extended run at hooker in the ESL?

Not really considering he has all the tools to be a readymade replacement for Friend (if not an improvement) while opening up the 6 jersey for one of our young halves options. I'm hoping Seijka.

hitman82

Bench
Not really considering he has all the tools to be a readymade replacement for Friend (if not an improvement) while opening up the 6 jersey for one of our young halves options. I'm hoping Seijka.

With Townsend and Tomkins heading our way I think Siejka's chances of securing a first grade spot next season are slim.

Much more likely you will see Locke playing 6 next year. Tomkins otherwise... and if neither of them - Townsend is a more established / proven half than Siejka.

I see Siejka featuring a year or so down the track, or when injuries strike. He really hasn't shown much to suggest he's ready yet anyway. Played well yesterday, but that was his best game by a fair margin... against a totally eatass opposition.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
If Tomkins is signed then Locke will be the 6 without a doubt. Not sure how he'll go as a 5/8th but I don't care because we will have Tomkins at the back.

The Vulcans games I've seen he has looked good for a 21 year old half. Good goal kicker too.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Just saying there is a mistaken impression out there that TL "is" a hooker. That's like saying Manu Vatuvei is really a centre. TL is a career half who happens to have had a few high profile games as a stop-gap hooker (AFAIK).

Not saying he couldn't do a job there, it's just weird how what is theoretically a pretty left-field idea seems to have buy-in from 99% of the league public.

Edit: Should have said "it's like saying Vatuvei is really a back-rower" which it sometimes seems 99% of people believe

I do think it's a big call to think that Locke and Leuluai are going to easily transition to crucial playmaking roles they have little experience in.

vvvrulz

Coach
I do think it's a big call to think that Locke and Leuluai are going to easily transition to crucial playmaking roles they have little experience in.

Agreed. And its just as big a call to say that a player with no NRL experience is guaranteed first preference over Locke who is excellent at fullback. I have question marks over Tomkins ability to defend at this level, which is a big step up from ESL.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
With his performances at hooker for the Kiwis along with the fact that he played quite a few games at hooker for Wigan over the years I don't think it's really a worry. Have no idea how Locke would go as a 5/8th, imagine it would take him at least a season to adjust.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
Agreed. And its just as big a call to say that a player with no NRL experience is guaranteed first preference over Locke who is excellent at fullback. I have question marks over Tomkins ability to defend at this level, which is a big step up from ESL.

I'm guessing you are basing those question marks on some other posts you've read on a forum since you've barely seen Tomkins play outside of a couple of 3 minute youtube videos :lol:

If we have worries about his defense than maybe we should chuck him at 6 where he has to make 15-20 tackles a game so we can keep Locke at the back, playing a million dollar signing out of his preferred position would go down well I'd imagine.

hitman82

Bench
With his performances at hooker for the Kiwis along with the fact that he played quite a few games at hooker for Wigan over the years I don't think it's really a worry. Have no idea how Locke would go as a 5/8th, imagine it would take him at least a season to adjust.

Agreed. Aside from the fact Leuluai has top level experience at hooker - to good effect - he has every attribute a good NRL hooker needs. He can smash forwards, pass to both sides, kick long or short, accelerate well from dummy half and read the game.

And anybody doubting Tomkins will be a step up from Locke should bookmark their comments for review after a few rounds of 2014. The guy is a legit freak and he will be an incredible asset to our squad.

Locke at 6. He only became a fullback when he joined the under 20s, so all through his junior and club years Locke was actually a half/hooker. He would certainly take some time to adjust but I've seen enough of his ball playing ability to be confident of him making the switch.

vvvrulz

Coach
And anybody doubting Tomkins will be a step up from Locke should bookmark their comments for review after a few rounds of 2014. The guy is a legit freak and he will be an incredible asset to our squad.

He may well be, but I'm not assuming anything until I've seen him handle a few weeks of tough NRL footy and in particular on defence. There are games where Locke doesn't get any opportunity to attack and is purely defusing bombs and reading attacking plays.

Tomkins is obviously outstanding at the ESL level but here he might be found out, I don't think its worth gambling 1 million and shoving a proven performer in Locke to #6.

It might end up being a masterstroke, but its a lot riskier than a lot of people are claiming.

Rich102

Staff member
I am more concerned with the forwards,
It's a given that Mannering & Mateo will be in the team if fit. That only leaves one extra spot, other than the interchange bench, and I presume Bakuya will get that.
That said we are still light on performing props. Matulino & Lillyman are getting the meters but Packer is struggling and Rapira is disappointing. (For me anyway.) Matagi and Gubb have yet to prove themselves. I would like to see one experianced prop, preferably with a bit of attituide, added to the squad. (Is this what FPN is being scouted for?)
Backs I am reasonably happy with.
I think Leuluai has grown into the half role and is a good foil for Johnson. Plus Johnson need a solid player alongside him. Those of you picking a Johnson/Tuimavave combination obviously didn't see the Vulcans game Sunday. Tuimavave is worse definsively than Johnson. I wouldn't mind seeing a Seijka/Johnson combination. Putting all our hopes on Locke, with his injury record, at half is a huge gamble. May work and be brilliant but could equally backfire.
I understand Godinet is staying for another year. He went well for the Vulcans.
I think the club need the Tomkins deal to go ahead to gain some credibility after all the grandiose statements.

Iafeta

Referee
With Townsend and Tomkins heading our way I think Siejka's chances of securing a first grade spot next season are slim.

Much more likely you will see Locke playing 6 next year. Tomkins otherwise... and if neither of them - Townsend is a more established / proven half than Siejka.

I see Siejka featuring a year or so down the track, or when injuries strike. He really hasn't shown much to suggest he's ready yet anyway. Played well yesterday, but that was his best game by a fair margin... against a totally eatass opposition.

See, I don't believe that. I think the only thing that has held Harry back from first grade, and will or will continue to, is Harry. Watching him on the weekend, it was the first time in the Vulcans games I've seen that he has purposefully taken the ball to the line with two hands and caused havoc as a result of that. I've got no doubt he's fairly decent organising, but he needs to take this grade by the scruff of the neck. What he showed on the weekend for mine is he can do that.

RE the comments regards Johnson & Tuimavave, Carlos' defence is awful at best. The only times Manly went to him on the weekend he basically got blitzed. There's no doubt he's got a great running game and a really nice passing game, but the lad needs to learn that the senior grades aren't a game of touch footy like it can be in NYC.

Iafeta

Referee
I think the decision to get rid of Friend makes about as much sense as the decision a few years ago to get rid of Fien. At the time, I did not meet a single person who thought getting rid of Fien was a good idea.

Take a bloke going great guns, with a year or so to go at the top of his career and experience, cut him and send him to another club to win a premiership.

Friend and Fien are really similar if you ask me. Tough, combative little blokes with professional, never say die attitudes. They also bring the Aussie attitude to league with them.

Local players probably respect Dan Carter more than Shaun Johnstone. A lot of Aussie leaguies wouldn't know who Dan Carter is, and if they did, don't care. What I'm saying there is that we have a few players who are league, through and through, known it all their life and are single minded about it.

Dumb, dumb, dumb decision.

I did. Fien was/is slow, and he loves throwing a hospital pass and a half. He loves the old "courage" line. Every man and his dog must be able to run it. And his short kicking game is Rovelli-like, aim for the back boards and see how hard you can hit them.

As soon as he started losing any acceleration he became quite ineffective for mine.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I do agree that getting rid of Fein was not a great idea, having said that we don't know what was said during contract renegotiations, maybe he wanted too much money or maybe the Warriors staff wanted to cut his paycheck in half, who knows? I asked around about this and no one seems to know why but all said we'd miss him.
Hopefully it'll come out after he retires
I can't remember where I heard this, but apparently he made comments about Sonny Fai's passing that weren't seen in the best light. He was probably trying to deal with it in his own way but offended a chunk of the team so he (and the club I guess) didn't see a future here.

Abdullah

Juniors
I think Friend's best years are over...sometime I watch him and he is certainly too slow around the play da ball area...ok for the rest of this season but next year, he will be even slower....so not sad to see him go

Diesel

Referee
Yeah I saw that too on stuff.

Looks like Elliott wants to have a chat, good decision

Latest posts