What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell: Humbled & Shocked

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Regardless, your post is a crock of shit, sir.

Just because we don't see how the players interact with each other at training doesnt mean our opinion isn't informed. As fans, we see how they act on the field. We see their body language. We see how they present themselves in interviews and other off-field activities. We see their actions in difference sections of the game. And we see how their teammates react to them.

For example, I would argue against Friz a captain as he doesn't seem like the guy to pumped his teammates up, or call them to arms. His teammates obviously respect him as a player, but he's not the one to lead from the front. He also seems quite soft-spoken and doesn't look to challenge others.

THompson, on the other hand, does display those leadership qualities. When we are under the pump, he's often one to take hard hit ups, and he leads the defensive line. He also challenges teh team to keep up with him. Off the field he is more vocal, and a great role model.

Those are informed decisions.
I'd argue that others claiming that the likes of Friz should be captain, seemingly because he's the best player, are il-informed.

Either way, it's a forum, don't need the thought-police trying to tell us we can or can't have an opinion!

That's a fantastic essay (I especially like how you opened with denouncing my post as a "crock of shit" but concluding with your piece about thought-police, but I digress..) but I stand by my main point that a leader of a group is decided by the group and there are far more qualities to a leader than can be observed from a distance.

BennyV

Referee
That's a fantastic essay (I especially like how you opened with denouncing my post as a "crock of shit" but concluding with your piece about thought-police, but I digress..) but I stand by my main point that a leader of a group is decided by the group and there are far more qualities to a leader than can be observed from a distance.
Which is fair. It doesnt mean that people aren't able to express informed opinions, based on what they do see, on a public forum which is designed for people to express opinions.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
If were going to strip Widdop of captaincy then my option is:
Packer and Dugan as co-capts.

Think of someone who could really belt out our club song after a game and lead the others. Benny Creagh excelled at this and the other players respected him for his passion.

I think both Packer and Dugan could inspire our team just like Benny.

SBD82

Coach
If were going to strip Widdop of captaincy then my option is:
Packer and Dugan as co-capts.

Think of someone who could really belt out our club song after a game and lead the others. Benny Creagh excelled at this and the other players respected him for his passion.

I think both Packer and Dugan could inspire our team just like Benny.
I'd prefer someone that led the song quietly 20 times a year than someone sing it loudly seven times.

This Year?

Immortal
I'd have Nightingale as Captain, but Friz definitely vice captain. Both those players epitomise everything that is good with our team.

monsterkev

Juniors
The only blokes who's attitude stands out as Captain Material is Thompson, but his form, both on the field and with the judiciary, doesn't make him the best choice. IN addition, who knows how long he'll be at the club when the likes of Host, Leilua and co find their feet in first grade.

ANywho, congrats to Tyson, very well deserved and he should be one of the first forwards picked for the Blues for years to come.
i think thompson might change the way he plays if given the captaincy not in a bad way
he would still be aggressive but tone down his tackling style which in turn would see less time on the sideline however i dont mind how he plays
so what if he misses a few games from suspension as you still have a vice captain and another player will get a chance

Como Connection

First Grade
Regardless, your post is a crock of shit, sir.

Just because we don't see how the players interact with each other at training doesnt mean our opinion isn't informed. As fans, we see how they act on the field. We see their body language. We see how they present themselves in interviews and other off-field activities. We see their actions in difference sections of the game. And we see how their teammates react to them.

For example, I would argue against Friz a captain as he doesn't seem like the guy to pumped his teammates up, or call them to arms. His teammates obviously respect him as a player, but he's not the one to lead from the front. He also seems quite soft-spoken and doesn't look to challenge others.

THompson, on the other hand, does display those leadership qualities. When we are under the pump, he's often one to take hard hit ups, and he leads the defensive line. He also challenges teh team to keep up with him. Off the field he is more vocal, and a great role model.

Those are informed decisions.
I'd argue that others claiming that the likes of Friz should be captain, seemingly because he's the best player, are il-informed.

Either way, it's a forum, don't need the thought-police trying to tell us we can or can't have an opinion!
Thompson for me also.

SBD82

Coach
Thompson for me also.
The amount of disagreement in this thread over who should be captain leads me to one conclusion: Widdop will be captain next year.

Unless there is a standout who makes their claim impossible to ignore, it would be a bold move to remove the incumbent.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Remember one Steve Edge - now there was a captain.

His record speaks for itself at two clubs.

Any doubters research 1977 and see how he captained baths babes through 2 emotional and torrid grand finals and kept a very young side focused on the goal.

Captains are still important. Just ask Bellamy and Bennet (oh hang on we still are waiting for a coach to arrive at our club after 5 seasons of mini vans (half a coach) zzzz

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell to push Test claims

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

16 Sep 2016, 2:18 p.m.
r1113_0_2560_1993_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Tyson Frizell will look to push his Test claims against Papua New Guinea.

See your ad here
DRAGONS forward Tyson Frizell is looking forward to pressing his claims for a maiden Test jumper as he prepares to head to Papua New Guinea with the Prime Minister’s XIII. Frizell was the shining light in an otherwise forgettable season for the Dragons, forcing his way in the NSW side and picking up the people’s choice award as the Blues best at the Brad Fittler Medal last week.

“It is an honour to earn any kind of representative jersey and playing for the Prime Minister’s XIII is a first for myself,” said Frizell.

“I look forward to going over there and playing with a few other NRL boys who are also looking for a spot in the touring side. I haven’t played with many of the players named in the team except for those who have represented the Blues so it will definitely be a great experience. I’ve spoken to Josh [Dugan] about what to expect and he said it was an experience as everyone there loves their footy. They are a very passionate group of supporters and it’ll be unreal to be involved in it.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4170374/frizell-to-push-test-claims/?cs=3713

Dragsters

First Grade
[QUOTE="BennyV, post: 11792823, member:

Either way, it's a forum, don't need the thought-police trying to tell us we can or can't have an opinion![/QUOTE]

Few captains have all the leadership qualities required but many are able to use their strengths to inspire their teammates to lift when they're called upon.

I am one that has suggested Tyson could make a good captain, but not because i think think he is our best player.

There certainly are other contenders capable of leading the team.

For mine Tyson has what i believe to be the most important quality in that he leads by example.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
[QUOTE="BennyV, post: 11792823, member:

Few captains have all the leadership qualities required but many are able to use their strengths to inspire their teammates to lift when they're called upon.

I am one that has suggested Tyson could make a good captain, but not because i think think he is our best player.

For mine Tyson has what i believe to be the most important quality in that he leads by example.[/QUOTE]

Please stop with the making of sense ! :)
Tyson may well be a great choice with McInnes coming in as a little general organising the troops but this may also assist Widdop who is still finding his feet as captain.
FWIW.. I don't think there are any issues with the players not wanting Widdop and he will more than likely grow into the role even further.
The coach is the problem, not the captain.

Dragsters

First Grade

For mine Tyson has what i believe to be the most important quality in that he leads by example.

Please stop with the making of sense ! :)
Tyson may well be a great choice with McInnes coming in as a little general organising the troops but this may also assist Widdop who is still finding his feet as captain.
FWIW.. I don't think there are any issues with the players not wanting Widdop and he will more than likely grow into the role even further.
The coach is the problem, not the captain.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Tell you what, I'll start wearing some strapping on my wrist and write "stop making sense" on it as a reminder!