What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback needed next year .

Mjab

Juniors
Sadly I think Sloan is a waste of time
he has been given a good go now
defence is a disgrace , never confident under kick and absolute brain explosions like not grounding the ball last night and many others
not NRL a standard and never will be and I don’t think he can play wing or 5/8 either , maybe super league for him

compare him with Bula or Campbell , chalk and cheese

Ramsay won’t play again IMO

read on forum that Zac might be fullback next year
mcpeanut didn’t give him a go a few years ago
maybe he’s worth trying but a big no for Sloan

JubileeJeffro

Juniors
Happy to give him an off season and weights program to see how he plays with confidence. Have to get him to 90kgs.
He looks like a boy playing men and is treated accordingly. Can attack, but seems scared of the collision in defence and on kick returns.

Dragon David

First Grade
Happy to give him an off season and weights program to see how he plays with confidence. Have to get him to 90kgs.
He looks like a boy playing men and is treated accordingly. Can attack, but seems scared of the collision in defence and on kick returns.
Sloan doesn't appear to like to dive onto a loose ball in a ruck or any loose ball in fact in fear of hurting himself. He needs to be able to cop the knocks and bruises in both attack and defence and not cower and shrug his shoulders up his neck shuddering with the thought of getting hurt.

In attack, most good fullbacks like to take the ball up really hard and not half heartedly. Several of the other fullbacks are not much bigger or maybe some might be the same (like Campbell of the Titans) and they go hell for leather at the opposition in attack and can do upper body strong ball and all tackles in defence. Sloan needs to put on 4-5 kilos and do more weightlifting if he wants to continue being a fullback.

I also cannot see him in first grade as a winger as well nor at centre. These positions require a lot more strength and power in both attack and defence.

Maybe Flanagans new fitness staff will be able to make him stronger and get him to "hurt" himself.

We thought the same thing about Laurie, some of these less bulky backs, with silky feet and ability to twist, if they could muscle up.

I’ve met DWZ, not known for being Brad Clyde type, but what there is of him, I tell you, his body is like a block of concrete.

Very polite and humble when I had the opportunity. Wished him well with injuries and recovery, and he gave me a smile and a knowing look.

Backs seem to be much bigger and stronger than when I was a kid. I really miss those deep back lines too.

Kids today admiring wrestles and hip drops. A bit saddening.

Smaller blokes are more courageous I guess.

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
Noticed during broncos raiders tonight both raiders tries Reece walsh was also very hopeless.. if he wasn't the flavour of the month and playing for a top team I wonder if the commentators would mention this ?? I don't know how effective walsh is i imagine he is a lot better than sloan

Noticed during broncos raiders tonight both raiders tries Reece walsh was also very hopeless.. if he wasn't the flavour of the month and playing for a top team I wonder if the commentators would mention this ?? I don't know how effective walsh is i imagine he is a lot better than sloan
There’s always a few holiday-makers in the top sides.

Last edited:

Budpower

Juniors
all it takes is one non first grade standard player in your team to kill a game....we had 3...Feagai sorted, now Musgrove and Sloan for Flanno to get rid of. Sloans a myth, he loses us far more games than he wins and constant reserve grade basic mistakes like that piece of gump last night yet again bely the truth, hopefully Zac goes there next season allowing young Rumble a year to develop, Sloans not Rumbles toenail dirt...love to see a backline next year of:

Lomax
Finau
Tamale
Suli
Ravalawa
Amone
Hunt

TheRev

Coach
all it takes is one non first grade standard player in your team to kill a game
It's so this.. everyone makes mistakes, but we have burned nearly 4yrs with Sloan & Dufty at the back.. they generally cost us atleast 6-10 points per game.. and no NRL team (let alone hunt's dragons) can make up for those leaked points... can you imagine how many close games turn into wins with a class fullback? and what every extra win does for confidence and hence future wins? And what that extra success does for our recruitment prospects?

Every week those 2 players went into video sessions and must have been torn a new one... and every week they got re-selected anyway.. its not about execution.. its simply effort and bravery.. put your body on the line.. finally we have a coach coming who won't put up with that.. but 4 freaking years.. and at this stage the start of a 5th.

Obviously other players have had there issues too (the odd winger comes to mind), but fullback imo is more crucial than any other, there is atleast 2 try saving opportunities in a game.. sometimes more.. not even counting catching a difficult bomb versus spilling it in your 20m zone.. plus a fullback chiming into the attacking line to create an extra body... is really one of the few times we look dangerous in attack...... basically you cant blood players in 1st grade... even if you could somehow coach selflessness & courage into a player... they have to do it in reserve grade.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I think your right mickeylane. There will be negotiations behind the scene for both forwards and outside backs, whether they eventuate is a different thing. If Sloane wants to play first grade he has to harden up and be willing to take the knocks. My only conern with Lomax at fullback is his pace.

Old Timer

Coach
I think your right mickeylane. There will be negotiations behind the scene for both forwards and outside backs, whether they eventuate is a different thing. If Sloane wants to play first grade he has to harden up and be willing to take the knocks. My only conern with Lomax at fullback is his pace.
Neither the Warriors nor the Raiders FB’s have real pace and both teams are playing SF footy.

Whilst real pace would be a bonus 100% commitment and dedication to the hard work of the custodial duties creates a great base for the team to function off.

BLM01

First Grade
+ He is good attacking and defensive centre... when in form

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It's so this.. everyone makes mistakes, but we have burned nearly 4yrs with Sloan & Dufty at the back.. they generally cost us atleast 6-10 points per game.. and no NRL team (let alone hunt's dragons) can make up for those leaked points... can you imagine how many close games turn into wins with a class fullback? and what every extra win does for confidence and hence future wins? And what that extra success does for our recruitment prospects?

Every week those 2 players went into video sessions and must have been torn a new one... and every week they got re-selected anyway.. its not about execution.. its simply effort and bravery.. put your body on the line.. finally we have a coach coming who won't put up with that.. but 4 freaking years.. and at this stage the start of a 5th.

Obviously other players have had there issues too (the odd winger comes to mind), but fullback imo is more crucial than any other, there is atleast 2 try saving opportunities in a game.. sometimes more.. not even counting catching a difficult bomb versus spilling it in your 20m zone.. plus a fullback chiming into the attacking line to create an extra body... is really one of the few times we look dangerous in attack...... basically you cant blood players in 1st grade... even if you could somehow coach selflessness & courage into a player... they have to do it in reserve grade.
The Cody Ramsay illness has crueled both him and us, his coming of age year of 2023 was stolen away and from all reports is never coming back.

Latest posts