What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback of the decade?

Fullback of the decade?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Anthony Minichiello

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters

mongoose

Coach
Probably the most contentious position to judge. I think these 3 are the standouts though.

ostrich20

Juniors
I don't think Darren Lockyer should even be a consideration considering he made the move to five-eight pretty early on in the decade (2001 or 2002 i believe).

My vote goes to Billy Slater.

mongoose

Coach
I don't think Darren Lockyer should even be a consideration considering he made the move to five-eight pretty early on in the decade (2001 or 2002 i believe).

My vote goes to Billy Slater.

I thought it was more like 2004/2005

Red Bear

Referee
Minichello at his peak was far better than Slater, shame he got cut down by injuries

If Lockyer had stayed at fullback probably would've been him, but he's been 5/8 since 2004.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Who cares when Lockyer moved? He's the best in any position he's played in. He's far and away the best fullback I've ever seen (yes, that even includes Danny Peacock)

If you're going to use that criteria then Mini shouldn't be considered either, seeing as he didn't move to fullback until 2003 & hasn't played a full season since 05.

Slater started as a centre and is an exciting player, but he's had some monumental stuff ups in big games. Very good no doubt & his speed is amazing, but I'd have the other two over him.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Thanks Saab. Good to know that there are other equally brilliant & like minded individuals in here.

Of course, if we go back to the 90's & I were to provide a fair & unbiased take on the No.1 stocks of that decade, I'd list them in this order.....

Mick Potter
Rod Maybon (after he left Souths)
Dean Raper / Chris Quinn
Lee Murphy............:sarcasm:
The General (Before he went to Canterbury)

No arguments. These were definitely the best of a great decade for number 1's in RL.....

adamkungl

Immortal
They all have reasons for and against. Lockyer only played fullback for the very early part of the decade.

Minichiello played Wing until 2003, was the best fullback until 06 when he hit injuries, and has barely been seen since.

Slater isn't as good as either of the other two.

Tough choice.

Jono078

Referee
Another one to throw out there is Brett Stewart.

Made his debut in 2004 and has scored the most tries out of any player since then I believe.

Would love to go Minichiello but injuries killed him. Slater has been very good but he didn't play at a high level as consistently as the other 2.

Rovelli

Bench
Tough, tough call.

Mini was some player from 2003-2005, but playing so much footy has been the source of injuries in the later years.

Stewart is such a great attacking weapon, prolific try-scorer, belonged in the Origin arena, great positional player

Slater is great with ball in hand, and been consistently one of the top fullbacks in the NRL. Prone to brain fades, but can sniff a try from anywhere on the field. Great pace and footwork.

Patten's not a sexy pick, but has been around for the whole decade, after the early days with the Dragons, and then the Dogs. He's been consistently consistent.

Lockyer was a great fullback, but has since moved into the halves...

adamkungl

Immortal
One thing for sure, one of, if not the greatest era for fullbacks most of us will ever see.
Minichiello, Lockyer, Slater, Inglis, Bowen, Hayne, Hunt, and Stewart would have all made great Australian fullbacks

hilltop hood

Juniors
Lockyer was, to me, the Rolls Royce of fullbacks. But Slater is a Ferrari and I'd take the Ferrari anyday.

Mini rates about a HSV Commodore in comparison.

I'd have Hodgson and Patten before Minichiello.

Big Pete

Referee
Lockyer for mine.

Best fullback for four seasons. (2000-03)

Compared to...

Minichiello: 2 Seasons (04-05)
Bowen: 1 Season (07)
Slater: 1 Season (08)
Hayne: 1 Season (09)

coach

Minichello at his peak was far better than Slater

No he wasn't. Saying that is nothing agaisnt Minichello. Just that I hold Billy in such high esteem. Billy is the best fullback I have seen play the game.

Noa

First Grade
1. Lockyer
2. Slater
3. Luke Patten - Put him above the count on longevity
4. Minichello
5. cutie
6. Stewart

Latest posts