What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fullback of the decade?

Fullback of the decade?

• Billy Slater

Votes: 34 29.3%
  • Anthony Minichiello

Votes: 31 26.7%
  • Darren Lockyer

Votes: 39 33.6%
  • Other

Votes: 12 10.3%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you were to go with consistency over the decade it would have to be Slater. Given Lockyer is no longer a fullback, and Mini has hardly played you would have to go for Slater although i agree the other two probably are more talented in the position.

adamkungl

Immortal
Stewart Mini and Inglis are/were at their peak all better fullbacks than Slater. Hunt debatable.

Scarves

Juniors
Slater is my #1, actually as a pure footballer he's the best I've ever seen in attack and then in defence, well the amount of tries he saves on the line makes it difficult for comparison. He also plays at an incredibly high tempo which is why he breaks games open and makes the odd massive error, it's the excitement and unpredictability players like him bring to the game that have made Rugby League lift beyond its off field issues.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
For sheer consistency, Luke Patten. For freakish talent and skill, I've never seen anyone quite as insane as Billy Slater. That's JMO...

fowlster

Juniors
A lot of class fullbacks have been mentioned.....

But Minichiello, without injury interruptions, may well have been touring right now.

Lycon79

Juniors
Lockyer is a counrty mile ahead of the rest over the last decade

You take the other two out of their team and their team still wins you take Lockyer out of the Broncos and we are F#$ked

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Yeah, but Lycon - we're talking about FULLBACK. Locky's been a five-eighth for the best part of this decade.

perverse

Referee
lockyer and slater in a photo finish for mine.

i think slater has even more raw explosive talent than lockyer did in his prime... but lockyer has the cool head and leadership.. not to mention ballplaying abilities.

bartman

Immortal
Lockyer for mine.

Best fullback for four seasons. (2000-03)

Compared to...

Minichiello: 2 Seasons (04-05)
Bowen: 1 Season (07)
Slater: 1 Season (08)
Hayne: 1 Season (09)
God way of thinking of it. Lockyer gets my vote.

And I'd agree with your season-by-season assessments too.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Would Brett Mullins qualify? He played this decade. Some of the stuff he did in the late 90's was freakish.

DeeJ

Bench
Brett Mullins played on the wing this decade.

Lockyer is number 1, Minichiello second. The rest don't come near the class of these two.

Goddo

Bench
Thanks Saab. Good to know that there are other equally brilliant & like minded individuals in here.

Of course, if we go back to the 90's & I were to provide a fair & unbiased take on the No.1 stocks of that decade, I'd list them in this order.....

Mick Potter
Rod Maybon (after he left Souths)
Dean Raper / Chris Quinn
Lee Murphy............:sarcasm:
The General (Before he went to Canterbury)

No arguments. These were definitely the best of a great decade for number 1's in RL.....

Mick Potter was a legend... enough said.

Noa

First Grade
Alot of rose coloured glasses been worn in regards to Minichello and Slater.

Theres a struck match between them. Minichello may have been the stronger ball runner and a bit safer - though he could be woeful with the ball on the ground - but Slater has him covered in cleaning up, ball-playing and that most critical factor of a FB, postioning.

Edited to add looking at Mini's peak period from 04-06 and Slaters from 07-09 there are some interesting stats there.

Minichello 141 errors, Slater 112
Minichello 42 tries, Slater 44
Minichello 15 try-assists, Slater 48
Minichello 59 line-breaks, Slater 60
Minchello 16 LB assists, Slater 49.

Those are some pretty compelling numbers for Slater over Minichello and thats not even taking into account that Slater had some pretty decent years from 04-06. Of course Minichello looked more comfortable in SOO then Billy, but I think thats because his style of game is more suited then Bills, who doesnt have near as much freedom at that level as he does for the Storm.

Last edited: