What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fulltime Score [PENRITH VS NEWCASTLE DISCUSSION*]

Canterbury

Juniors
20-14 - Penrith go down! I don't think you can say the ship has sunk after 1 round as penrith lost their first 5 last year and won the comp..

However, if that performance is any indication of where they are then they're going to struggle to make the 8..

In saying all of this though i'd hate to be the team that has to play them next week.. heh.

And newie weren't that impressive in their victory

greeneyed

First Grade
Up to where Channel 9 is up to... Penrith look awful.. They have come back in the last 10....... but they must have been a disappointment to the fans....

Canterbury

Juniors
The crowd was pretty quiet throughout the whole thing.. even in the opening stages of the game.

The only real loud crowd chant you heard was a few girls chanting panthers.

I don't think penrith are done for (although most people are looking for an excuse to write them off =/) i just feel it was a poor performance.

And take into account that A. Johns wasn't firing at all. and whats the bet he picks up 3 Dally M points?

:eek:

Poider

Juniors
What's the deal with the 9 commentators goin on about Johns being fitter then ever, yet he stops the game with cramp with 15mins to go!

Dragon

Coach
All i can say is...a great game, pathetic performance from Johns. What a sook. I try to respect him but his antics with the refs calls, and giving his side a breather is the norm it seems. He is a dead set f*ckwit!

Bad luck Pennys

Sportsjock

Juniors
Poider said:
What's the deal with the 9 commentators goin on about Johns being fitter then ever, yet he stops the game with cramp with 15mins to go!

Arent you the idiot :lol: you'd have to be delusional to suggest cramping is a sign of being unfit , nice one mate :roll:

Try telling Pat Rafter he was unfit, he used to sweat and cramp more than Ive ever seen any sportsman do so!

It is amazingly humid tonight in Sydney, so much so that the humidity is so heavy I was sitting on the couch starting to break out in a sweat!

Lots of sweat = cramps mate.
And sweating is far from a sign of being unfit, its actually a good sign meaning your body coolants are working better than most.

greeneyed

First Grade
I thought the whole game was a dog... poor quality, both teams didn't look too good in large parts of the match. I can't believe the commentators were claiming otherwise.... they clearly picked the wrong game to kick off with for the season....

t-ba

Post Whore
David Seage was my Man Of the Match. Terrible Puns Aside (Rabbits-Yes, he was under Siege, if that's what you're getting at Sterlo :roll: ), he did some brilliant recovery work at the Back for The Knights in an excellent debut. Hopefully he can build up his confidence and put in some of the attacking flare he displayed last season for Wynnum...

I enjoyed the game alot, but that's prolly only because the footy was back for the first time this year.

I thought Newcastle played really, really well too. They'll be a force if they can keep all their stars on the field.

Canterbury said:
In saying all of this though i'd hate to be the team that has to play them next week.. heh.

Unfortunately for the Raiders, I tend to agree with you. Should be a cracker next Friday night though.

gaterooze

Bench
I thought it was a great start to the season. Tough game, a close nailbiter -- great performance by the Knights!

Yahoo, footy is back!!!

greeneyed

First Grade
The dropped ball and missed tackles, and the poor options...... I can't remember so many in a game for a long time.... in fact since the World Club Challenge........

I dont care what you guys say the game was a beauty! It was a bashfest out there and both sides played very well tonite. To say the Knights were not impressive is a joke! To hold out the reigning premiers for most of the 2nd half on their own line is a credit to their hardwork throughout the offseason on their defense, it was great tonite and also to outscore the best attacking side last year 4 tries to 2 is a great effort . Penrith werent poor they were just outplayed tonite and i have no doubt they will not lose many more games at home.

Canterbury

Juniors
No i enjoyed the world club challenge.. At least the intensity of it was much much higher, despite the the amount of errors yes..

Pantherjim.

Referee
It was only Newcastle's defence, in the end that made the difference. Full credit to them, their defence was brilliant and they deserved their win.

I must say that Mander had an absolute shocker though! while I won't be stupid and bitter enough to say that he cost us the game (he didn't, the Knights defence did!) I got home from the game in time to watch the 2nd half on T.V. And I will say that he ruled 3 knock-on's against us that were not knock-ons! :roll: One of those decisions denying a legitimate pick-up and line-break from Luke Lewis!

Ultimately we will learn from this... It's early days yet and there are still plenty of rounds to be played.

Pantherjim.

nrl_panthers.gif
piss.gif
nrl_roosters.gif

Dragon

Coach
Mate, he always gets cramps when the knights are defending their line for a repeated set of six....

Stranger

Coach
I dissagree with some. That was a great game of footy. Friday night, nice conditions at home watching the footy on telly thers nothng better than that and the quality of the game was up there. You people cant seriously expect 100% from everybody... comon it was the first round. The ammout of missed tackles wasnt all that high.. Penrith just couldnt put points on the board wich i think is a worry for them. Kennedy was on wesser in defence all nigh which shut them down.

being Unfit = cramps hahahahahaha
Buderus was definately man of the match.

kosta

Juniors
Great game! played out in front of a crowd of nearly 20,000 people. Newcastle won the game on the back of its defence, while I thought Penrith where too conservative with the football.

Kennedy's defence was superior he made a few try saving tackles. Kurt Gidley also pushed his claims for not only cementing a 5/8 position with the Knights but maybe a future 5/8 position for NSW. Adam Woolnough also played a great game making it interesting to see if he will get the run-on position over Matt Parsons next game. I was happy with Danny Burderus getting the channel 9 man of the match, he was my pick also.

Craig Gower again shows his inconsistency from receiving the ball from the kick off. He let the ball bounce past him and it went out, he had problems with this on the Kangaroo tour. Preston Campbell was my pick for the best player for the Panthers tonight.

It was a great game to kick off 2004.

knights 2004

Juniors
johns barely has any match fitness. i know what getting cramps while playing footy is like, and it is bloody gay. and dont tell me he is the 1st person to give his team a rest when they need it. panthers had about 15 000 repeat sets at the knights line.
a few people out there had cramps, get over it